Job Advert.

DCPCFML:

Bin Man:

The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere.

But it’s not just the money you conveniently forgot all the other points drivers often mentioned, this is from my OP -

If you had been told you were going to be looked down on, paid peanuts in comparison to other skilled jobs have to go to toilets that look something like the one out of the film trainspotting, do 15 hour days (and all the other stuff drivers have mentioned in the shortage threads) would you have still applied?

You’ve fallen into the trap of listening to all the moaners on here who hate their life and their job but won’t do anything to change them. Far be it for me to agree with Adam on anything, but in this instance he’s right when he said there’s work and hours out there in haulage to suit everyone. His supermarket work is one such example of sensible hours and as you’ll know yourself, working for a LA is typically less than 9 hours or even job and knock - certainly was the latter when I used to do the bins a long time ago.

Even for the jobs with longer hours, nobody is saying you have to work 5 or 6 days a week. There are 4 on 4 off shifts and variants thereof, plus a whole other world of options if you venture down the agency road where you dictate the terms of engagement.

The way most of them go on on here, you’d think they were being tortured in Gitmo with someone holding a gun to their head :unamused: . The job is a piece of ■■■■ and I’m still waiting for all the life-long bitter moaners to show me where else I can be earning £20/hr for sitting on my arse, doing clean work. not breaking a sweat and have the view out of my office window change every few seconds without requiring additional academic qualifications. The job is what you make it - tread your own path.

Well that paints a whole new picture, nice one.

Deleted duplicate post

the nodding donkey:
Stop crying, and grow up.
Feel hard dine by, flower? Boohoo. The only drivers I know who cry how hard this job is, and how bad they are treated, and how pitifully they are paid, are those who have never done anything else. I’m not going to trot out the list I have trotted out before, but try working in a shop or other public facing job. Try working in an office, with ever increasing work levels and shortening deadlines, with your manager sitting in the same office, watching you, and asking every 30 minutes if this or that is ready yet. ( You can’t put down the phone, ca him a c××t, and keep looking out of the window… )
Try shelfstacking. Nobody is stopping you from starting for your local Aldi or Sainsbugsco as they are all crying out. Go on, I date you. You wouldn’t last a week.
Try being self employed, (really self employed… :sunglasses: ). Try working in a factory… (you wouldn’t last a week). Try working at amazon or another warehouse (now hiring near you, no excuse) (you wouldn’t last a week…)

Stop whinging… are we paid enough? The market decides that, not us, not the boss. Are facilities on the road inadequate? Yes, but there are ways around that. If you don’t like your job, leave. Please do, it ups the rates for those of us that stay… If you want more money or better conditions, organise and ask for it.

Who is that aimed at if it’s me can I point out again I have said nothing negative about driving long hours and putting up with awful conditions my username says what I do.

Some members need to read the threads properly before putting both feet in their mouths!

Nearly there again:

Bin Man:

adam277:
Very self pitying.
If truck work was that bad we would all be in the office.
Thing is the most of us here could not / would not want to work in a office.

I think you are missing the point if someone who had dreamed of working in an office read that advert would they go for the interview or run a mile.

I have had my eyes opened in the short time i have been reading the forum some of the stuff i have read about long hours and working conditions (facilities) is unbelievable.

If you had been told you were going to be looked down on, paid peanuts in comparison to other skilled jobs have to go to toilets that look something like the one out of the film trainspotting, do 15 hour days (and all the other stuff drivers have mentioned in the shortage threads) would you have still applied?

If you hate driving or the conditions leave instead of sounding like a self pitying child. If your lifes all negative make a change or don’t and be unhappy. It’s pathetic really

I cannot tell from your post if it is aimed at me or drivers in general, if its me (as i said in post #33) can I point out I am not moaning about my job I don’t do long hours and i am not forced to use disgusting toilets etc I am merely asking a question of drivers that do and who have voiced their displeasure in many threads here.

Truckulent:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:
Show me a class 1 truck driving job that starts at 0930 and guarantees you’ll be pulling your card at 1800 hours 5 days a week.

That’s 8.5 hrs x 5 days = 42.5hrs.

I work an average of 42 hours per calendar week working 4 on 4 off and never work extra shifts. Anybody working that shift pattern would be the same, of which there are thousands, if not tens of thousands.

But office workers dont do 42.5 hrs. They do 37.5hrs.

Care to tell us who that is working for? And that you always finish at exactly the same time? Never any traffic? Delays? Queuning vehicles etc.?

Doesn’t sound like any transport set up I’ve ever come across.

Working an “average of” is ■■■■■■■■. You can be at work 60 hours a week - but still not “average” 42 hours of actual work. Break, POA etc also helps with this.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

42.5 or 37.5, to my mind that’s around 40 hours give or take a couple. What it isn’t, is 60 or 70+ hours. I’d rather do 42.5 driving a lorry than 37.5 stuck in an office, or 65 hours driving a lorry. I’m happy with my working life. With 4 on 4 off some weeks 4 x 12 hour shifts (48 hours) will fall in the typical 7-day week, others it’s 3 x 12 hour shifts (36 hours). Over one calendar year each week averages 3.5 shifts, which is 42 hours. I say 12 hour shifts because we’re asked how many hours we like to be planned for. Some say 15, others don’t mind, I ask for 12 and I get planned for 12. Most of my shifts are around that, give or take half hour, and working nights probably helps with general lack of traffic jams etc.

I’d prefer not to say who I work for now, but I’ve had several 4 on 4 off jobs. The first one was working for Norbert Dentressangle, then XPO, on the Carlsberg contract. The job was known as ‘the shuttle’. I started at 5pm each day, and pulled trailers out of the town centre brewery in Northampton, which didn’t have storage facilities. I’d run the trailers to any one of 4 storage sites in Northampton. I thought of it as long distance shunting. The central controller always made sure our last job got us back to base around 30 minutes before 5am, when the day men took over. In 2 years I never once finished a minute past 5am. So again, another job where I averaged 42 hours per week.

When I say I work an average of 42 hours per week, I’m not talking in WTD speak. I mean (or should say) I average 42 hours at work (duty time) per week.

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:
Show me a class 1 truck driving job that starts at 0930 and guarantees you’ll be pulling your card at 1800 hours 5 days a week.

I work an average of 42 hours per calendar week working 4 on 4 off and never work extra shifts. Anybody working that shift pattern would be the same, of which there are thousands, if not tens of thousands.

But office workers dont do 42.5 hrs. They do 37.5hrs.

Care to tell us who that is working for? And that you always finish at exactly the same time? Never any traffic? Delays? Queuning vehicles etc.?

Doesn’t sound like any transport set up I’ve ever come across.

Working an “average of” is ■■■■■■■■. You can be at work 60 hours a week - but still not “average” 42 hours of actual work. Break, POA etc also helps with this.

42.5 or 37.5, to my mind that’s around 40 hours give or take a couple. What it isn’t, is 60 or 70+ hours. I’d rather do 42.5 driving a lorry than 37.5 stuck in an office, or 65 hours driving a lorry. I’m happy with my working life. With 4 on 4 off some weeks 4 x 12 hour shifts (48 hours) will fall in the typical 7-day week, others it’s 3 x 12 hour shifts (36 hours). Over one calendar year each week averages 3.5 shifts, which is 42 hours. I say 12 hour shifts because we’re asked how many hours we like to be planned for. Some say 15, others don’t mind, I ask for 12 and I get planned for 12. Most of my shifts are around that, give or take half hour, and working nights probably helps with general lack of traffic jams etc.

I’d prefer not to say who I work for now, but I’ve had several 4 on 4 off jobs. The first one was working for Norbert Dentressangle, then XPO, on the Carlsberg contract. The job was known as ‘the shuttle’. I started at 5pm each day, and pulled trailers out of the town centre brewery in Northampton, which didn’t have storage facilities. I’d run the trailers to any one of 4 storage sites in Northampton. I thought of it as long distance shunting. The central controller always made sure our last job got us back to base around 30 minutes before 5am, when the day men took over. In 2 years I never once finished a minute past 5am. So again, another job where I averaged 42 hours per week.

When I say I work an average of 42 hours per week, I’m not talking in WTD speak. I mean (or should say) I average 42 hours at work (duty time) per week.

Hmmm.

I’d say that, give or take a few, less than 10% of class 1 jobs are like that. Equally I’d say probably 10% of office staff do 60 hours a week - because they’re workaholics and work from home etc.

But what we’re discussing is the normally accepted hours of an HGV driver compared to that of an office worker.

Which is simply that the majority of HGV jobs are far longer hours and poorer conditions than the vast majority of office based jobs.

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

You havent got any breaks in that calculation though.

Wheel Nut:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

True. I probably do about 25 hours a week then :sunglasses:

ezydriver:

Wheel Nut:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

True. I probably do about 25 hours a week then :sunglasses:

Yep. The look on some drivers face when I explain that those 42 odd hours include ALL breaks, which total a lot more than 45 minutes a day, because I’m paid from duty start till duty end… :sunglasses: :grimacing:

4on-4off should become the new industry standard, rather than 6-5,6-5,6-5.

nearly there again ,when you say drivers on here moan about the job and that they should do something about it …well they have hence the shortage of drivers :laughing: :laughing:

fuse:
nearly there again ,when you say drivers on here moan about the job and that they should do something about it …well they have hence the shortage of drivers :laughing: :laughing:

What shortage?

Bin Man:

the nodding donkey:
Feel hard dine by, flower? Boohoo. The only drivers I know who cry how hard this job is, and how bad they are treated, and how pitifully they are paid, are those who have never done anything else. I’m not going to trot out the list I have trotted out before, but try working in a shop or other public facing job. Try working in an office, with ever increasing work levels and shortening deadlines, with your manager sitting in the same office, watching you, and asking every 30 minutes if this or that is ready yet. ( You can’t put down the phone, ca him a c××t, and keep looking out of the window… )
Try shelfstacking. Nobody is stopping you from starting for your local Aldi or Sainsbugsco as they are all crying out. Go on, I date you. You wouldn’t last a week.
Try being self employed, (really self employed… :sunglasses: ). Try working in a factory… (you wouldn’t last a week). Try working at amazon or another warehouse (now hiring near you, no excuse) (you wouldn’t last a week…)

Stop whinging… are we paid enough? The market decides that, not us, not the boss. Are facilities on the road inadequate? Yes, but there are ways around that. If you don’t like your job, leave. Please do, it ups the rates for those of us that stay… If you want more money or better conditions, organise and ask for it.

Who is that aimed at if it’s me can I point out again I have said nothing negative about driving long hours and putting up with awful conditions my username says what I do.

Some members need to read the threads properly before putting both feet in their mouths!

If the shoe fits petal…

the nodding donkey:

Bin Man:

the nodding donkey:

If the shoe fits petal…

Well in my case as i have described it doesn’t so jog on petal.

Bin Man:

the nodding donkey:

Bin Man:

the nodding donkey:

If the shoe fits petal…

If it doesn’t, then why are you upset?

If the shoe fits petal…

I have already saidI I am happy with my wage, 34 days holiday, brilliant pension scheme, 7.5 hour days Monday to Friday (job and finish) I have nothing to be upset about.

Bin Man:

If the shoe fits petal…

I have already saidI I am happy with my wage, 34 days holiday, brilliant pension scheme, 7.5 hour days Monday to Friday (job and finish) I have nothing to be upset about.

Wooosh

I also know quite a few Tesco supermarket drivers who only do 9 hours a day.

No company can afford to pay staff to sit around doing nothing. They’ll be the first out of the door.

[/quote]
They must have a old contract seen it many times, the company can’t touch them