Hourly rate disparity

Where I work we have two different contracts with around £1.60 difference on the basic hourly rate as well as a different set of terms and conditions.

The company has been recruiting new drivers in abundance for the last 4 years and there is starting to be a lot of animosity over the different rates. The union reps are all on the old contract and do not seem the slightest bit interested in addressing the disparity in pay.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, same depot, same job but less pay and benefits for us on the new contract. I thought the law was clear on equal pay but seems I’m mistaken on that.

Thanks in advance

bbc.co.uk/news/business-50168817

acas.org.uk/equal-pay

How long…

Has this been going on please?

yourhavingalarf:
How long…

I have been there for 4 years so at least since then.

Dimlaith:

yourhavingalarf:
How long…

I have been there for 4 years so at least since then.

Yeah…

That makes it alot tougher to get things changed. Personally, if I found out the guy next to me was making mo’ money for the same graft, I’d question it, seek parity and if I didn’t get it I’d walk.

But none of that helps you right now. I can only recommend Rog’s link to Acas.

acas.org.uk/equal-pay

Looked at ACAS before and it does seem clear that it is against the equal pay act. Our union is the problem, they are know to be in the employers pocket. One of the new contract drivers apparently contacted ACAS and was told the employer was not breaking the law.

There’s only…

One option left now, set fire the MD’s car.

ROG:
What is equal pay and how can you find out if you are getting it? - BBC News

acas.org.uk/equal-pay

Unless the different rates are being paid due to gender, ethnic origin, religion etc then the Equal Pay legislation doesn’t really come into it.

It’s very common for employees to retain their existing contract terms even though new starters are employed on inferior terms/paid less.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dimlaith:
The company has been recruiting new drivers in abundance for the last 4 years and there is starting to be a lot of animosity over the different rates. The union reps are all on the old contract and do not seem the slightest bit interested in addressing the disparity in pay.

Once you reach the tipping point where the majority are on the inferior terms, it would make sense to attack the aristocrats who weren’t willing to defend the same pay and conditions for others, and ensure all their additional pay and conditions are taken away.

Having two tiers of pay and conditions are a known divide-and-rule tactic, and it makes sense to rain fire on the heads of those in the workforce, and the unions, who allow it.

The above makes sense and I believe very soon that the new contract drivers will out number the aristocracy. It’s not just the drivers who are getting disgruntled, the same practice of different contracts and pay affects the warehouse as well.

Rjan:
Once you reach the tipping point where the majority are on the inferior terms, it would make sense to attack the aristocrats who weren’t willing to defend the same pay and conditions for others, and ensure all their additional pay and conditions are taken away.

Having two tiers of pay and conditions are a known divide-and-rule tactic, and it makes sense to rain fire on the heads of those in the workforce, and the unions, who allow it.

Are you really advocating degrading the better terms rather than improving the inferior?

I cant see where equal pay legislation comes into it, that relates to gender and religion etc.

As far as legality goes, they said we will pay you, you said OK, and you both signed a contract to that effect.

Personally I wouldn’t have done it. Contrary to someone saying its divide and rule, a divided company is far harder to run than a harmonious one. So I expect its economics.

albion:
I cant see where equal pay legislation comes into it, that relates to gender and religion etc.

As far as legality goes, they said we will pay you, you said OK, and you both signed a contract to that effect.

Personally I wouldn’t have done it. Contrary to someone saying its divide and rule, a divided company is far harder to run than a harmonious one. So I expect its economics.

You are correct, we excepted the role and signed the contract but every time we get a pay rise the old contract drivers hourly rate goes above our rate even more. A percentage rise is worth more for them than it is for us. Would you not like better pay and conditions for yourself? Or maybe you are an employer.

Dimlaith:

albion:

You are correct, we excepted the role and signed the contract but every time we get a pay rise the old contract drivers hourly rate goes above our rate even more. A percentage rise is worth more for them than it is for us. Would you not like better pay and conditions for yourself? Or maybe you are an employer.

Albion has employed many people, and paid and treated them well.

You signed the contract, there’s nothing illegal going on here. If you don’t like the conditions then leave, there’s never been a better time to do so. Or stay and at least you have plenty to moan about in the yard.

Dimlaith:
I would appreciate your thoughts on this, same depot, same job but less pay and benefits for us on the new contract. I thought the law was clear on equal pay but seems I’m mistaken on that.

Thanks in advance

The law is clear. There is no right to be paid the same as someone else doing the same job as long as the difference in pay is not because of one of the protected characteristics of gender, race, religion etc.

If you don’t like the pay it’s up to you to negotiate a better deal or vote with your feet if you don’t accept it.

Conor:

Dimlaith:

Thanks in advance

The law is clear. There is no right to be paid the same as someone else doing the same job as long as the difference in pay is not because of one of the protected characteristics of gender, race, religion etc.

If you don’t like the pay it’s up to you to negotiate a better deal or vote with your feet if you don’t accept it.

I should not have to negotiate a better deal, that’s what the union should be doing for its members on the new contract. That’s my point really. I actually like my job so don’t want to leave atm. Seems a lot on here want better pay and conditions while others say tough ■■■■.

It could well be that without industrial action the only way you will get parity is the higher rate drops to the lower rate. All the drivers that are lower paid get yourselves organised and attend the union meetings and have your say about the disparity.If it comes to it a vote of no confidence in the stewards may be nessercery and have a go yourself. Too many members complain when things don,t go the way they wan,t but won,t attend meetings in case they lose a few bob or a night out. Every driver should turn up at the next meeting and do something about your grievance, in the present climate with the so called shortage of drivers you may well get something done. Force the companies hand to upgrade everyone.

Do you work for a supermarket??

Dimlaith:
Where I work we have two different contracts with around £1.60 difference on the basic hourly rate as well as a different set of terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance

Collective grievance signed by as many as you can outlining what you want and why.

Follow the procedure through and make it clear drivers are prepared to walk

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Dimlaith:

Thanks in advance

You can’t call unions on here ,ZB me 99% on here wet there pants at the mention of a union
Nb my experience of unions are the same as you , we ( shop stewards ) are ok ZB you , I’d stop my subs immediately,■■■■ paying a penny to those idle waste of space idiots
Then go & see the boss yourself , you’ll get a pay rise & wont have to waste a penny more in subs to get the grand total of sfa.