Hourly rate disparity

selby newcomer:
Do you work for a supermarket??

Indeed I do

WaggerWagger888:
It could well be that without industrial action the only way you will get parity is the higher rate drops to the lower rate. All the drivers that are lower paid get yourselves organised and attend the union meetings and have your say about the disparity.If it comes to it a vote of no confidence in the stewards may be nessercery and have a go yourself. Too many members complain when things don,t go the way they wan,t but won,t attend meetings in case they lose a few bob or a night out. Every driver should turn up at the next meeting and do something about your grievance, in the present climate with the so called shortage of drivers you may well get something done. Force the companies hand to upgrade everyone.

Easier said than done. Plenty will talk the talk but when it comes to walking the walk they quickly lose the use of their legs

Monkey241:

Dimlaith:
Where I work we have two different contracts with around £1.60 difference on the basic hourly rate as well as a different set of terms and conditions.

The company has been recruiting new drivers in abundance for the last 4 years and there is starting to be a lot of animosity over the different rates. The union reps are all on the old contract and do not seem the slightest bit interested in addressing the disparity in pay.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, same depot, same job but less pay and benefits for us on the new contract. I thought the law was clear on equal pay but seems I’m mistaken on that.

Thanks in advance

Collective grievance signed by as many as you can outlining what you want and why.

Follow the procedure through and make it clear drivers are prepared to walk

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sounds like the way to proceed.

Dimlaith:

selby newcomer:

Indeed I do

Does it start with a T and end with O?

My place is the same. Theres older drivers that have been there years on older contracts which are better than mine. But uts not my money, or holiday or whatever so I don’t much care about that and instead look at whether I was happy to accept the job on the terms I’m on. Which I was.

Sometimes the boot swings on the other foot though. Us on the “new” contract have just been given 7.5% lift on top of the upcoming pay deal, those on older contract got nothing.

I am at Tesco and same here.
The old boys who have been here a while (10+ years) are on more money, more holiday and a host of other benefits.
It is extremely unfair.

They also seem to get the better runs.

Which I find completely stupid there is zero point appeasing the old timers who have been working at Tesco for 10+ years. They are not just going to quit and walk out. It’s the guys that have been at the company for under 2 years that are likely to walk out when they get sick of being shafted.
The long timers like to ■■■■■ and moan and kick up a fuss but they are basically lifers and will never leave.

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

selby newcomer:

Indeed I do

My place is the same. Theres older drivers that have been there years on older contracts which are better than mine. But uts not my money, or holiday or whatever so I don’t much care about that and instead look at whether I was happy to accept the job on the terms I’m on. Which I was.

Sometimes the boot swings on the other foot though. Us on the “new” contract have just been given 7.5% lift on top of the upcoming pay deal, those on older contract got nothing.

Lol, posted same time as me :stuck_out_tongue: ye Tesco can ■■■■ an egg.

We havent been given a 7.5% rise. Tesco Thurrock offered 2.5% I think but the union refused it.

Dimlaith:

Monkey241:

Dimlaith:
Where I work we have two different contracts with around £1.60 difference on the basic hourly rate as well as a different set of terms and conditions.

The company has been recruiting new drivers in abundance for the last 4 years and there is starting to be a lot of animosity over the different rates. The union reps are all on the old contract and do not seem the slightest bit interested in addressing the disparity in pay.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, same depot, same job but less pay and benefits for us on the new contract. I thought the law was clear on equal pay but seems I’m mistaken on that.

Thanks in advance

Collective grievance signed by as many as you can outlining what you want and why.

Follow the procedure through and make it clear drivers are prepared to walk

Sounds like the way to proceed.

We just successfully applied the group grievance resulting in a bonus

Also in talks about a pay rise with reduced hours

I would have thought that equal pay for equal work was a foregone conclusion…

osark:
I would have thought that equal pay for equal work was a foregone conclusion…

Your not alone in that thinking. But there seems to be so many loopholes. Take for example shop workers with the support of unions going to court to get the same pay as the distribution pickers. The courts agreed there was a case to answer even though the work done by the shop workers compared to the warehouse workers is completely different.

adam277:

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

selby newcomer:

Indeed I do

Lol, posted same time as me :stuck_out_tongue: ye Tesco can ■■■■ an egg.

We havent been given a 7.5% rise. Tesco Thurrock offered 2.5% I think but the union refused it.

Same 2.5% got refused at ours too

The 7.5% is not a pay rise, its a market appraisal apparently…

Dimlaith:

Thanks in advance

Well imagine my shock! :unamused: Another fine example or why unions are a waste of time and should be scrapped. As has been said many many times, all you are doing is subsiding the shop steward’s pay.

toonsy:

And of course, unlike a pay rise it can be taken away at the stroke of a pen once the current “crisis” has been resolved. We’ve had similar at our place - a roughly 10% “market supplement” (10% for newer drivers, a bit less than 10% for those of us on older contracts as it’s a fixed amount…)

DCPCFML:

Dimlaith:

Thanks in advance

Well imagine my shock! :unamused: Another fine example or why unions are a waste of time and should be scrapped. As has been said many many times, all you are doing is subsiding the shop steward’s pay.

Depends on the union rep [emoji6]

Dimlaith:
Seems a lot on here want better pay and conditions while others say tough [zb].

I think you may need to read the comments again. No-one is saying “tough ■■■■” - What has been said is that (contrary to what you appear to have believed and some others still appear to believe) there is no blanket entitlement to be paid the same as your colleagues unless that pay difference has arisen due to gender, race, religion, age etc. I think you have now realised that it’s up to the union to COLLECTIVELY address the disparity. It’s not the union reps/shop stewards - YOU (and your colleagues) are the union and if said reps are not pulling their collective weight then either get them to change their attitude or replace them.

Roymondo:

toonsy:

And of course, unlike a pay rise it can be taken away at the stroke of a pen once the current “crisis” has been resolved. We’ve had similar at our place - a roughly 10% “market supplement” (10% for newer drivers, a bit less than 10% for those of us on older contracts as it’s a fixed amount…)

All the blurb at work says its permanent to reflect rates in the area. They’ve not called it a pay rise so as not to confuse it with ongoing pay talks apparently.

The temp bit is another market supplement of £30pw until end of Septembrr paid in October, then £50pw until Christmas paid in January.

Then there’s the £1000 new start bonus, paid on April 1st (I know :laughing: ) for anyone joining before end of October and staying beyond mid March.

Roymondo:

Dimlaith:

I think you may need to read the comments again. No-one is saying “tough [zb]” - What has been said is that (contrary to what you appear to have believed and some others still appear to believe) there is no blanket entitlement to be paid the same as your colleagues unless that pay difference has arisen due to gender, race, religion, age etc. I think you have now realised that it’s up to the union to COLLECTIVELY address the disparity. It’s not the union reps/shop stewards - YOU (and your colleagues) are the union and if said reps are not pulling their collective weight then either get them to change their attitude or replace them.

I think you need to re read my original post so you can fully understand that a 2 tier contract system is causing the problem that a collective grievance would be very difficult to achieve.

Dimlaith:

Roymondo:

Dimlaith:

I think you may need to read the comments again. No-one is saying “tough [zb]” - What has been said is that (contrary to what you appear to have believed and some others still appear to believe) there is no blanket entitlement to be paid the same as your colleagues unless that pay difference has arisen due to gender, race, religion, age etc. I think you have now realised that it’s up to the union to COLLECTIVELY address the disparity. It’s not the union reps/shop stewards - YOU (and your colleagues) are the union and if said reps are not pulling their collective weight then either get them to change their attitude or replace them.

I think you need to re read my original post so you can fully understand that a 2 tier contract system is causing the problem that a collective grievance would be very difficult to achieve.

A collective grievance would be hard to achieve?

Why?

2 or more is a collective grievance. Whether you win depends on the fairness of your case and how well you argue it. The more you can convince to support it also helps

You also have the option to take it to ACAS if it initially goes against you.

Good point above. I will leave it there until I return to work and try and see if there any any drivers with the balls to support a collective grievance.

Dimlaith:
Good point above. I will leave it there until I return to work and try and see if there any any drivers with the balls to support a collective grievance.

Dimlaith, the union will have members on the contracts and part of the job of the union will be to look after their interests as well (which it appears to have done - article link). It is fairly clear that the supermarket doesn’t want the contracts because it went to court over the right to re-engage workers on the new contract, and lost. So the supermarket is fighting for what you want and the union isn’t.

Dimlaith:

albion:
I cant see where equal pay legislation comes into it, that relates to gender and religion etc.

As far as legality goes, they said we will pay you, you said OK, and you both signed a contract to that effect.

Personally I wouldn’t have done it. Contrary to someone saying its divide and rule, a divided company is far harder to run than a harmonious one. So I expect its economics.

You are correct, we excepted the role and signed the contract but every time we get a pay rise the old contract drivers hourly rate goes above our rate even more. A percentage rise is worth more for them than it is for us. Would you not like better pay and conditions for yourself? Or maybe you are an employer.

So what are you grumbling about? This seems like an “entitled” snowflake issue to me. Presumably this contract you signed listed (amongst other things) your renumeration? Did the contract also state that after x period of time you would move onto parity pay with those on the ‘old’ contract? No? Thought not. ■■■■ it up buttercup. You knew what you were getting into. Don’t like the terms on offer in YOUR contract - don’t work there! :bulb: