Tesco £1K sign on bonus

bbc.co.uk/news/business-57983698.amp

Tesco offering a £1K sign up bonus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

HGV Driver

Hours: 42.50

Salary: Competitive

Well good luck then :slight_smile:

Also half of their hgv jobs (for my area at least) are either part time or temporary.

I’d want more than a grand to do that rubbish

Dangling a carrot.
I need to know what the rate would be,and driving at 40mph on the motorway, nah,not for me

Stop with these stupid one-off incentives to get your bum on the seat and just increase the hourly rate above all your competitors. Problem sorted and you’ll achieve a far greater percentage of long-termers than you will vs incentives who will do the minimum required to get it and then go elsewhere. These companies truly are dumb.

Tesco, Walkers etc never had a problem getting drivers until they outsourced their transport, as their profits weren’t big enough, they were dead man’s shoes jobs

Its a headline grabber…

Tesco really need to up the hourly rate, improve the horrendous shift pattern and improve terms and conditions.

DHL are advertising at Stakehill in Middleton, Manchester using a carrot of £500 bonus on first pay date and £1000 after six months plus an “uplift” of £2.46 on the hourly rate until the end of December. The job is cages to multiple stores, so not for me thanks!
I’ve also heard a whisper that an announcement regarding pay rates is imminent at DPD as they are haemorrhaging drivers.
Probably best not to jump too soon as the rates will continue to rise, but for how long?
It reminds me of a house price bubble, back in 2005 we paid way too much for our present home.
In 2005 I was on £30k, last year I earned £31k.
Currently on track to do £45k this year!!!

FILL YER BOOTS

Rothman:
In 2005 I was on £30k, last year I earned £31k.
Currently on track to do £45k this year!!!

And we all know why this has happened…thank god for Brexit!! (Of to the brexit thread lol)

DCPCFML:
Stop with these stupid one-off incentives to get your bum on the site and just increase the hourly rate above all your competitors. Problem sorted and you’ll achieve a far greater percentage of long-termers than you will vs incentives who will do the minimum required to get it and then go elsewhere. These companies truly are dumb.

^^^ that. Stop it with the bloody snake oil selling and give a bloody decent rate from the get go. No sodding bonuses linked to Microlise or whatever, just an honest basic rate that is achievable.

Hard hat and mask …things must be bad at tossco.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I can’t see when you actually get the bonus and if it’s paid in one or split. Suspect the most important bits are the actual details. Also is it a grand for all drivers or different depending on shifts etc.

A lot of our lot have jumped ship to agency for the “big money”, but do wonder as mentioned how long it will last. Doubt any would be taken back due to leaving company in the crap, so burning bridges not always a good idea.

Our lot are doing this kindof thing with incentives every x months and one at the end of the year. They still don’t really get it as we want an hourly increase to a more decent level especially as its ADR, but can’t leave for anything fulltime as DVLA have the licence and are being useless.

I speculatively applied for an a tanks ADR job via Indeed last week, as money wasn’t addressed in the advert.
Received a phone call from them yesterday (Monday), it transpired the rate was less than £12/hour! I’m currently on 50% more than that albeit on nights and agency.
The interviewer said they could improve the rate if I did permanent Fri-Mon, as I’d expressed an interest in 4 on 4 off. Hmmm……no thanks.
I told him he’d struggle to fill the vacancies (think it was 3) at that rate, he said that pay had gone through the roof in Manchester. Clearly I wasn’t the first to decline their generous offer that day.
My wife is giving me some serious grief about doing 5 long night shifts a week, however I’m now determined to stick it out for at least the rest of the year if possible.
Today my agency have asked me to do Sat as well this week, but that really is too much even for an agency leech like me.

Rothman:
DHL are advertising at Stakehill in Middleton, Manchester using a carrot of £500 bonus on first pay date and £1000 after six months plus an “uplift” of £2.46 on the hourly rate until the end of December.

Not sure about this particular ad, but the ones I’ve seen with ‘extended’ incentives include a clause that they ‘reserve the right to change or cancel any incentives at any stage’. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did just that if & when the ‘driver shortage’ is filled.

trevHCS:
I can’t see when you actually get the bonus and if it’s paid in one or split. Suspect the most important bits are the actual details. Also is it a grand for all drivers or different depending on shifts etc.

A lot of our lot have jumped ship to agency for the “big money”, but do wonder as mentioned how long it will last. Doubt any would be taken back due to leaving company in the crap, so burning bridges not always a good idea.

Our lot are doing this kindof thing with incentives every x months and one at the end of the year. They still don’t really get it as we want an hourly increase to a more decent level especially as its ADR, but can’t leave for anything fulltime as DVLA have the licence and are being useless.

From a person within Tesco (a friend) its split into smaller payments…

Although he also said they’re doing it for current staff to retain them too.

Why would anyone want to do Tesco or any store delivery work when there is a near infinite amount of easier work available right now? I understand the masochists who enjoy inflicting pain upon themselves trying to man-handle a 1 tonne cage of pop and booze down the trailer, onto the tail lift and then across a load of cobbles/poor surfaces to the shop, when said cage has a broken wheel, would enjoy it, but I doubt anyone else would.

[zb] Tesco.

DCPCFML:
Why would anyone want to do Tesco or any store delivery work when there is a near infinite amount of easier work available right now? I understand the masochists who enjoy inflicting pain upon themselves trying to man-handle a 1 tonne cage of pop and booze down the trailer, onto the tail lift and then across a load of cobbles/poor surfaces to the shop, when said cage has a broken wheel, would enjoy it, but I doubt anyone else would.

[zb] Tesco.

Tesco are a tail lift only delivery service. It’s the sadist in you that watches the store staff attempt the cobbled route of pain, as you ascend like a god on your elevated platform… :smiling_imp:

Is Tossco all 1ton cages up the 45degree cobbled street with a missing wheel then? After reversing down the 300 yard long dog leg dead end street all double parked? And dont forget the doorstep so you have to do a twenty foot run at it to try and get it up - while screaming like William Wallace in Braveheart…

Do they do any reversing onto a bay and reading the kindle for an hour?

scannyman142:
Tesco, Walkers etc never had a problem getting drivers until they outsourced their transport, as their profits weren’t big enough, they were dead man’s shoes jobs

Tesco had no dramas shifting their driver onto Stobart when it suited them to get it done cheaper (around £6k per man IIRC)

As have a lot of supermarkets who bought into saving a couple of quid per hour by outsourcing it

They reap what they sow