Seriously considering HGV as a career.... pros / cons

Carryfast:

whisperingsmith:
> Carryfast:
> Ironically there is no place in the industry now for those who prefer distance work including accepting the downsides of that.
> The job is far more suited to the type of work which you’ve described mostly because of the political climate which wants to return the road transport industry to its status during the 1930’s a local delivery service. :bulb:

You do talk B**ll*cks CF

I think I’m a little older than you at 74, but I’ve been offered any type of work I like if I come out of retirement, Local, Distance, Tramping or European, they say they’ll tailor the job to as close as they can to what I would like and they’ll pay for DCPC.

Blimey the so face fits club actually provides lifetime membership and that’s just agency work. :laughing:
Let me guess ‘inexperienced’ drivers have to ‘start at the bottom’ on local multi drop or driving a hiab/ scaffold wagon around the streets unless/until they are accepted into the ‘club’.
Which is probably why at 74 you’re supposedly still being asked to do regular international runs.
But at 62 I can’t get a job driving cars for the local garages because of too much competition from younger workers who are rightly doing whatever it takes to avoid driving a truck.
You couldn’t make it up.

I doubt any competition from younger drivers exists, the local garage manager probably hides when you walk onto his forecourt, he doesn’t want to be told how to do his job by someone who hasn’t a clue how it should be done.

Did you ever appear on The Fast Show?