Rules and etiquette for night drivers at hubs

Seems to be a distinct lack of consideration for others these days, either because they are new drivers who don’t know better or they’re seasoned drivers who are just a bit thick or don’t give a ■■■■ about anyone else.

If you are a night driver and do hub work here is the unofficial list of rules and etiquette to not ■■■■ off everyone else around you :

1. turn your [zb] headlights off when another driver is trying to reverse! Bright light either in front or behind means you can’t see ■■■■ in your mirrors so rather than sitting there waving your arms about and getting all irate at the time it takes the driver reverse into the bay, if you turn your [zb] lights down to sides then the driver will be able to see what he’s doing and be out of the way.

2. turn your engine off! There is no need to sit there with the engine idling for more than 10 seconds after parking up or about to set off. Either switch off or ■■■■ off! This isn’t 1970 anymore when you need to idle the truck for 5 minutes to build up the air. This is mostly annoying because of :

3. drivers often have several hours to wait until their backload is ready, which means they like to sleep. The clue is that the curtains will be drawn or they’ll be parked nose in to a parking bay, so turn your engine off and turn off your catwalk light as well so it’s not burning holes in my eyelids through the mirrors.

4. don’t start a conversation with your mate outside stood next to the trucks. ■■■■ off elsewhere, like to the canteen. See 3.

5. turn your stupid reversing beeper off. Don’t give me any ■■■■ about they can’t be turned off. I’ve driven every make and all have buttons or switches to disable them.

6. don’t park up next to 3. if you want to listen to your radio at 120 dB. Likewise, don’t have a hands-free phone conversation when you have the loudspeaker set to 120 dB volume. Use your brain and use your handset like a normal person.

Basically, either STFU and be quiet or ■■■■ off. Same applies in MSAs and truck stops around sleeping drivers. No consideration for anyone but themselves. :imp:

Also if driving a fridge trailer try park alone or with other fridges if you can’t try find someone having a 45min then park there no one likes a fridge

Harry Opposite aka the alternative.

Are you working? this is an industrial area, why are you parked here? have you tried stuffing snowflakes in your ears? I don’t think you can turn off reversing buzzers on forklift trucks, top loaders, trains or dock spotters.

TruckDriverBen:
Also if driving a fridge trailer try park alone or with other fridges if you can’t try find someone having a 45min then park there no one likes a fridge

Also don’t park next too,or in the fridge parking bays then start moaning when the Fridges are running…

Post 1 also applies to night trunkers doing changeovers at truck stops. Sick of having to tell some drivers to turn off their lights and it’s embarrasing as hell when one of your fellow company men is reversing with their reverse beeper screaming it’s nuts off at midnight, I hit the off switch to mine as I’m turning into the truckstop.

I actually concur with Conor and DC, my reasoning is when lorry driving involved the driver actually engaging and using their brains without permission from their planners goes back to when the Government worked out they could walk all over drivers as they have no backbone and will never unite together to stand up to what they disagree with.
For example , log books to paper disc analog tachos of which drivers ran bent on using the wire and fuses by running on trip money.

Enter digital tachographs then they try to defraud that by using magnetic devices, the removal of customs borders in the 90’s as before that you needed some noodle to clear customs and sort out the paperwork and work alone with no tracker, mobile phone, sat nav and get your reload by facsimile transmitter or using a coin phone box and your planners dictate 12 addresses for ceramic tile factories.

With the advent of automatic gearbox’s now it’s just point it in the right direction and no need to use your brains.

Why do drivers wipe off fifth wheel grease on the side of the trailer and when using public toilets pee all over the seat or never clean up the mess they leave in the bowl or if over shoot the runway and can’t aim their number two for someone else to clean up for them, one place I delivered to said they installed a new shower and toilet block only for drivers to block the loo with their pants and steal the shower fittings and basin plugs ?
Guess what, drivers were banned from using their facilities !

1. Don’t expect to sleep in a workplace. You are paid a shift premium for working nights, so just STFU and sleep when you get home like any other nightshift worker.

Although not related to the OP’s original post, spare a thought pre -COVID days when sharing a four berth cabin on cross channel sailings when drivers get drunk in the bar or disco and wake everyone up climbing up to the top bunk and ■■■■■■■ and snoring all night, so when you disembark you are too knackered to drive anywhere.
Hence why I slept in my truck below deck and risk the ship sinking/ ADR chemical or gas death or fire in the cargo hold .
The crew didn’t know you were in your cab. That’s why they invented split cab curtains so you climb in to the bunk before they notice you are there and ignore the door banging and lock the cab door.

Roymondo:
7. Don’t expect to sleep in a workplace. You are paid a shift premium for working nights, so just STFU and sleep when you get home like any other nightshift worker.

So you’re one of the colossal bell-ends that sits there with the engine running all night whilst having a 120 dB conversation with your mate next to everyone trying to relax/doze/sleep, because ■■■■ everyone else, if I’m up then so are all you lot. Nob.

This guy is a large part of what’s wrong with the industry.

Drivers that drive in to a truck stop or MSA and pull around their cab curtains as soon as they turn off their engine and avoid all contact with fellow drivers and human being so long as they download ■■■■ or watch a film and talk Betty Bollax on social media boasting their wages.

While we are at it , drivers that do not sweep out their trailers and leave it for the next man to do it , when they leave half a ton of turf/ soil/ fertiliser/ mud/ stone chipping/ polystyrene wrap/ polyvinyl wrap/ foam debris/ broken pallet debris/ mangled up delivery notes/ plastic coffee cups/ their food wrappers/dog and cat food/ cat litter/ spilt lubricant such as oil or grease/ hay and straw bale residue/food and drink debris and spillage.
Or drop a trailer without VOR’ ing it so you have no working lights/ brakes/ no TIR cord/ a cut in the curtain/ a puncture/ busted door can’t close or some Muppet has stolen your pump truck as he needed it , hence why I padlock my trailer.

Drivers who don’t put the steering wheel away after they finish…

Try getting a refund…

From the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel when you’ve been kept up all night by ‘Steve’ and his bird ‘San’ quite literally, surfing the hallway on dinner trays right outside your suite at half three in the morning.

Lorry drivers, lightweight ■■■■■■■ don’t know they’re born. :unamused:

And retune the radio settings and adjust the drivers seat settings and leave their sandwiches/ pork pies/ chocolate and crisp wrappers/ toe nail clippings/ hand nail clippings/ nose bogeys everywhere in the cab .
And the seat smells of their ■■■■■ or where they can’t be bothered to wash their dirty bottoms.

Conor:
Post 1 also applies to night trunkers doing changeovers at truck stops. Sick of having to tell some drivers to turn off their lights and it’s embarrasing as hell when one of your fellow company men is reversing with their reverse beeper screaming it’s nuts off at midnight, I hit the off switch to mine as I’m turning into the truckstop.

It baffles me why truck stops allow changeovers at night they can’t be that desperate for the few quid it must pay them ,I’ve witness the disturbance cause by your lot at Lockerbie that’s why I won’t stay there anymore.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Be fair Dan, it ain’t the actual changeovers themselves that are noisy, it’s the incessant rustling of P60’s being brandished that causes the most noise! :smiley:

the maoster:
Be fair Dan, it ain’t the actual changeovers themselves that are noisy, it’s the incessant rustling of P60’s being brandished that causes the most noise! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:

Just had to google p60 ,honestly.