Rules and etiquette for night drivers at hubs

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

…and another thing while on the subject of night drivers :

What is this new thing that all night drivers do where the mere sighting of a traffic cone means they have to slow down to 40 mph and continue at this tortoise speed until the big bad scary cones are no more? Seriously ■■■■■■ me off how they are all in a mad hurry to get past you, but as soon as there’s a lane closure they’re all on the brakes down to 40 mph creating a 3 mile long convoy of angry road users even though there is no speed restriction? If TPTB thought that the scary cones were dangerous then they would put a speed restriction there. But they don’t, so get a ■■■■■■■ eye test so you can see beyond your windscreen glass (the real reason) and press the ‘resume’ button on your CC. :imp:

TruckDriverBen:
Drivers who don’t put the steering wheel away after they finish…

Still working then [emoji2]

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Tarmaceater:
And retune the radio settings and adjust the drivers seat settings.

So, you think a driver should drive a vehicle all day/night with YOUR comfort settings? Sod that he’s taller/shorter than you, so what if his little leggings are dangling in the air and he can’t reach the brake pedal. It’ll take you 30 secs (as part of your daily checks) to adjust the seat/streering to your desired perch. And as for the radio, if you have a preferred listening programme, then rather than dangerously fiddling with retuning the radio whilst moving, it’s more professional to pre-program your desired channels before you set off.

Popcorn anyone?

Ken.

the maoster:
Be fair Dan, it ain’t the actual changeovers themselves that are noisy, it’s the incessant rustling of P60’s being brandished that causes the most noise! :smiley:

You especially hear that over the noise of a fridge on de-frost…

Not shouting. Not revving engines. Not playing loud music.
Do those rules apply only at night?

Franglais:
Not shouting. Not revving engines. Not playing loud music.
Do those rules apply only at night?

Absolutely. I’m trying to sleep then! :wink:

Punchy Dan:
It baffles me why truck stops allow changeovers at night they can’t be that desperate for the few quid it must pay them ,I’ve witness the disturbance cause by your lot at Lockerbie that’s why I won’t stay there anymore.

A couple of times I did day runs up to Scotland and nighted out at Lockerbie so I know what you mean. You need to be at least half way up one of the rows anywhere near the changeover area to be shielded from the noise.

We’ve not used Lockerbie in over a year since one driver tore the ligaments out of his knee and had to be taken to hospital and another driver nearly got run over when he tripped in front of a lorry due to the shoddy potholed, pock filled, crater filled looks like the surface of the moon state of the changeover area. You’ll just have to put up with the other companies that also used it.

As for the few quid it must pay them, they earn loads. They typically charge between £4-£5 per vehicle per changeover. So in the case of our lot they were getting over £50 per night plus what we spent in the shop and the cafe so £250 a week, £13,000 a year for renting out a bit of tarmac for an hour twice a night just for us. Curries used to use them, Wren, quite a lot of companies used to use that spot for changeovers. They must have easily been getting the thick end of £80k-100k a year out of that changeover area however I doubt they are now as it’s interesting that several of the companies who also used to do the most changeovers at Lockerbie are now doing them at Eccelfechan where we moved to where it’s a nice large well lit smooth solid concrete parking with clearly marked out spaces.

So feel free to try Lockerbie again, virtually everyone who used to use it the most abandoned the changeover area due to the state it was in and moved elsewhere.

I did quite a few night trunks to the Palleforce depot at Fradley and then Derby after they moved. Since our depot was pretty local, about 1½ hours, it was easy to drive up, get tipped and then rest nine hours before loading in the morning.

Of course, being early meant that I got a prime ■■■■■■■■■■■■, well away from the noisy places.

Conor:

Punchy Dan:
It baffles me why truck stops allow changeovers at night they can’t be that desperate for the few quid it must pay them ,I’ve witness the disturbance cause by your lot at Lockerbie that’s why I won’t stay there anymore.

A couple of times I did day runs up to Scotland and nighted out at Lockerbie so I know what you mean. You need to be at least half way up one of the rows anywhere near the changeover area to be shielded from the noise.

We’ve not used Lockerbie in over a year since one driver tore the ligaments out of his knee and had to be taken to hospital and another driver nearly got run over when he tripped in front of a lorry due to the shoddy potholed, pock filled, crater filled looks like the surface of the moon state of the changeover area. You’ll just have to put up with the other companies that also used it.

As for the few quid it must pay them, they earn loads. They typically charge between £4-£5 per vehicle per changeover. So in the case of our lot they were getting over £50 per night plus what we spent in the shop and the cafe so £250 a week, £13,000 a year for renting out a bit of tarmac for an hour twice a night just for us. Curries used to use them, Wren, quite a lot of companies used to use that spot for changeovers. They must have easily been getting the thick end of £80k-100k a year out of that changeover area however I doubt they are now as it’s interesting that several of the companies who also used to do the most changeovers at Lockerbie are now doing them at Eccelfechan where we moved to where it’s a nice large well lit smooth solid concrete parking with clearly marked out spaces.

So feel free to try Lockerbie again, virtually everyone who used to use it the most abandoned the changeover area due to the state it was in and moved elsewhere.

Yes move further up towards the railway line :laughing: not for me ta .