New Driver looking for some guidance

Hi, I’m a little confused to how POA works. My trucking friend tells me some companies don’t pay when using POA but they use it to prevent themselves going over the weekly working limit.

If I was waiting say two hours for my lorry to be unloaded and reloaded and I used a 45 minute break, would they have to pay me for the remaining hour and twenty five minutes?

Confused to how being a trucker is worth while pay wise if not as half a day could potentially be unpaid if that’s the case.

Really appreciate the advice. I am sorry if this is asked a lot. I’ve spent a few hours googling it and can’t seem to get a solid answer. Appreciate the help!

I was on POA just yesterday for 4hours in a lay-by off the A40 near Narberth Wales awaiting DAFaid to come repair my broken down truck. And I get paid for being on POA. It’s not my fault.
Sure it’s used when you know how long you are going to be waiting, if that’s for loading or otherwise. Periods of Availability (PoA) are paid time but do not count towards the 48 average working week or the 60 hour a week maximum.

oldwelshdude:
I was on POA just yesterday for 4hours in a lay-by off the A40 near Narberth Wales awaiting DAFaid to come repair my broken down truck. And I get paid for being on POA. It’s not my fault.
Sure it’s used when you know how long you are going to be waiting, if that’s for loading or otherwise. Periods of Availability (PoA) are paid time but do not count towards the 48 average working week or the 60 hour a week maximum.

So to clarify, do all companies have to pay you during this time? Thank you!

Personally I never use POA. If I have to wait around to load or because the truck has broken down the tacho goes straight on to rest. Is this common among other drivers here?

Harry Monk:
Personally I never use POA. If I have to wait around to load or because the truck has broken down the tacho goes straight on to rest. Is this common among other drivers here?

Do you get paid for waiting around?

markhalliday8:

Harry Monk:

Do you get paid for waiting around?

Yes, In my last job I was on a salary so it made no financial difference what the tacho was set to at any given time.

markhalliday8:

As far as I’m aware yes. No company I’ve worked for had ever told me differently

Harry Monk:

Same with me, but I’m sure I’ve read posts where breaks are deducted from pay, so makes sense to use POA then.
For the OP, check on how your employer pays, and act accordingly.
If you’re at work and not being paid for POA… Don’t use it.

markhalliday8:

oldwelshdude:

I find it tough to believe there are companies out there who wouldn’t pay you during your working day if on POA, other than the traditional deducted breaks i.e 45mins/1hour, however if there are and that is the case, then 2 things:

1. Don’t use POA

2. Perhaps more importantly - don’t work for that company in the first place.

I have never used…

POA. I get 1X45 minute deduction as per my contract a day.

I’ll get to ESL Magna Park and as usual they’re rammed, the 2/3 hours I’m parked on the bay tipping/loading is a break. When I move to shut the doors and check the fridge, it automatically goes to other work and then drive.

Neither my agency or the client has said a word in the five years I’ve done things this way.

The tacho thinks POA are breaks so adjusts the driving time breaks incorrectly

Example
Drive 2 hours
POA 45 mins - now the tacho shows a full driving time break and resets the driving time to 4.5 hours which is wrong so ignore it as you still have 2.5 hours before a 45 driving time break is needed

Always always know exactly how you will be paid, whether its salary or hourly or bonuses or a mixture of all and what deductions are made for breaks etc, mostly be careful if on salary you don’t make yourself work more hours than needed because you use POA or excess use of breaks for queuing time at drops etc.
Planners office bods TMs generally won’t tell you the nitty gritty for your benefit, they only tell you what benefits them unless you work for a proper company (often unionised) with decent terms.
Some companies don’t recognise POA at all, if you use it will be read as other work.

Never used POA, it’s there as a cop out to appease the likes of RDCs instead of getting them to pull their fingers out and get their acts together, so that we look as if we are working reasonable hours…a la WTD (another load of ■■■■■■■■) when we ain’t really. :smiling_imp:
So any waiting time it’s other work or break.
As for break deductions I only get 45 mins taken off however much time I show.

O/p as you’re a new driver,.see what your employer’s take is on it…don’t take any notice of a seasoned cynical bast like me. :laughing:

Harry Monk:

Is for me. I’m paid all breaks. So i don’t bother with poa.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Do whatever works out best for you. If the pleb planners are making you work late on Fridays burn your hours out on cross hammers so you hold the whip hand towards the end of the 26 week period. As to POA don’t use it. Just use break.

Harry Monk:

Same, never ever used POA myself. I’m on break/rest or driving. When it came in I thought it a load of pointless bull****t and I still think that

markhalliday8:
Hi, I’m a little confused to how POA works. My trucking friend tells me some companies don’t pay when using POA but they use it to prevent themselves going over the weekly working limit.

If I was waiting say two hours for my lorry to be unloaded and reloaded and I used a 45 minute break, would they have to pay me for the remaining hour and twenty five minutes?

Confused to how being a trucker is worth while pay wise if not as half a day could potentially be unpaid if that’s the case.

Really appreciate the advice. I am sorry if this is asked a lot. I’ve spent a few hours googling it and can’t seem to get a solid answer. Appreciate the help!

Speak to the other drivers at your place. They’ll give you the low down on what you need to do so you don’t end up screwed over.

I’m another one in the “don’t use it, it’s a load of ■■■■■■■■” camp. I’m either working (driving or in the back loading/unloading) or I’m on rest. Sometimes I may be having a rest while I’m working :sunglasses: , especially on Fridays.

Like others, never used POA and never will !

When poa and wtd become actual GENUINE entities with the purpose of reducing the ridiculous excessive hours that we are allowed (and expected) to legally work in this job,… then and only then I will take them both seriously.

I use poa often , contrary to what drivers say on here it hasn’t made any difference to my wages , the hours I work etc , it’s only a problem if you want to turn it into one .
It’s very much the same as the driver facing cameras , bloody great thread on it with drivers not having there privacy breaches , drivers jacking the job in if company dares to fit one , and thick old dozy sticks a bit of gaffa tape over lense & problems solved , maybe I should change my name to the intelligent one !!! , or sensible one