Need info from existing car transporter drivers

Anyone work for BCA automotive, specifically on a 4on 4off basis?
I would like to find out what the average take home pay is from week to week. I understand it varies depending on how many days worked in any given week.
The pay structure is very complicated and be good to hear from existing drivers to know exactly what wage is achievable and hours put in per four days.
Any help ASAP will be much appreciated.
Please PM me if preferred.

What did BCA say when you asked them?

Or post up the wage structure and see if anyone can make hair or tail of it.

I don’t have a copy of the pay structure and trying to avoid asking for it if I can help it as it feels inappropriate after already excepting the job.
Was hoping there may be an existing or ex driver on here that would know.
Existing company doesn’t want me to leave and has offered more money.
Just don’t want to change and be worse off.
BCA’s hourly pay is really low but is made better with bonuses etc. Was run through it during the interview but each weekly pay will be different so hard to know what average take home will be.

AlfaBlue84:
I don’t have a copy of the pay structure and trying to avoid asking for it if I can help it as it feels inappropriate after already excepting the job.
Was hoping there may be an existing or ex driver on here that would know.
Existing company doesn’t want me to leave and has offered more money.
Just don’t want to change and be worse off.
BCA’s hourly pay is really low but is made better with bonuses etc. Was run through it during the interview but each weekly pay will be different so hard to know what average take home will be.

I would be less focused on top line pay, and more on longer term job security…

I would never take a job without first understanding the wages…
If it’s that complicated to understand it’s probably a stitch up and not in your favour I’m sure

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

drover:
I would never take a job without first understanding the wages…
If it’s that complicated to understand it’s probably a stitch up and not in your favour I’m sure

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

+1…

Either way, it’ll be around the going rate for car transporter work (what ever that is).

There are very few jobs left that pay 20-30% more than other similar jobs and it sure as hell wouldn’t be BCA. Having delivered cars for them, I can assure you, they don’t pay top rates or treat their staff with much respect.

Well presumably no current drivers are here to help you.

If its still Walon 2, which it sounds like when you mention low basic plus bonuses, then the earnings can and will vary wildly depending on how many vehicles what sort they are you deliver, Paragon hourly pay scheme is better (we’ll see how long it lasts :bulb: ) but long termers want to transfer onto Paragon pay deal so assume you’ll be stuck on W2 agreement permanently.
The best paying work will be sewn up for the usual suspects, you will never change this, you can earn some good money still but you will earn every penny of it, and there will be days when you’ll wish you’d never bothered getting out of bed.

If you are already an experienced transporter driver you will obviously be earning well straight away, if you are a newby to the game it will take anything from 6 to 12 months after training to get up to any speed and you never stop learning the job no matter how many years you do.

Can’t give you any figures because i’ve been out of it too long, but from day one and to date i’m better paid on tanks than i was on the cars if that’s anything to go by.

If you’ve been offered a decent raise and are averaging say £16/18 for every hour worked then i would not advise jumping ship, if you are a good worker and get some decent work that’s what i would expect you to average in your first year, but more than that because 4 on 4 off so weekend rates kick in so would expect £25+ per hour to be averaged when working weekends.

Don’t hold me to these figures, i’m out of the loop as to the current pay which will have gone up since i got out but maybe not as much as you might imagine.

seen a couple with that broken shoe/worn- out -heel style of walk [as if walking on the sides - indicating poverty

If it is BCA in Chelmsford. They are always looking for drivers.
According to indeed the average salary is 26k

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
I’ve decided to continuing with the change. My current employer wasn’t happy about it at first but are now wishing me well and have said I can always go back to them if things don’t work out.
The new transporter job is closer to home and I’m keen for a change from general haulage so will see how it goes.
I can’t imagine it being much difference in pay to what I am currently on but was hoping to hear some actual figures.
Thanks again. I used to be on this forum under a different name a long time ago and thought it would be the best place to go for advice.
Cheers

Have you been on cars before?

Any of you guys tell me how they gauge the clearance between the cars height wise there never seems much margin for the suspension bouncing

Use and experience mainly, there are types of transporter and places on those where bounce is worse, ie you will notice following a typical modern that the car in the middle of the three stacked on the back (usually facing backwards) bounces up a fair way usually softer suspension at the front of the car, plus its engine weight exacerbates this problem.

Not the result of pot holes as such but road undulations which are exaggerated by the time the lorry suspension and body flex have added their tuppence, when alongside such a lorry as it goes over the same undulations those cars in the middle barely move.

When cars were tied on properly in better days, underbody, that took most bounce out and clearances couldbe closer than now and the lorries rode better anway unless on steel springs, but the suits got involved and as you can see the cars are bouncing constantly on their suspensions now, they might look close together but there’s usually between 3 and 4" of clearance, not many risk it at 2" or less.

Regulars will know sections of road to avoid, there used to be several sections of well worn M1 where several undulations would set up an increasing rebound that could easily smash vehicle 10 (the one i mentioned earlier) into the deck above where it would otherise have completed every other journey.

Our lad came in this morning, he has been offered an interview in a similar job he does now, NHS Care! but he was asking me about getting his class one and going driving, his mate had told him he earns £60k driving a lorry. Now I dropped my toast butter side down, am I really that far out of touch?

Wheel Nut:
Our lad came in this morning, he has been offered an interview in a similar job he does now, NHS Care! but he was asking me about getting his class one and going driving, his mate had told him he earns £60k driving a lorry. Now I dropped my toast butter side down, am I really that far out of touch?

No, I think his mate is stretching the truth somewhat.

Wheel Nut:

Transporters, right company, right work, yes, depending on pay scheme the right work will be required so faces that fit do best, no change there, but he might be including night out money as £50k+ for good workers is more common, but it will be earned pay not polishing ones arse supping tea.
One company that top figure is pretty normal, one place not far from me was paying £50k salary a few years ago.
Tanks on right company if one wanted to put general type hours in, £50k not that hard to knock up not incl night out pay.

These will be unionised jobs.

How can you accept a job without knowing how much your getting paid.

That’s just nuts.
Its the first question I always ask.

Conor:

Wheel Nut:

No, I think his mate is stretching the truth somewhat.

A handful of drivers where I work toplined over £60k last year. BUT (and it’s a big but) they included their expenses in that plus they’re the kind who’d work the 2 minute silence, the type of guys who proudly boast that “I only dropped half an hour from maximum hours on a 6 day week”.

Horses for course, not my cup of Earl Grey though.

Wheel Nut:

Alot of lads at our place are on £60k plus one who lives in the truck is on over £70k, it isn’t hard to get £50k a year doing 5 days & you won’t break sweat doing it, alot of sitting in queues in the refinery’s at x1:5

Some tesco drivers I’ve spoken to claim to be able to make 75k a year.
Seems unlikely though although I suspect 55k-65k is possible.