Failed Test and Fuming

I recently did my Class 1 test but sadly failed :cry: However I am quite pee’d off with the reason for failing (as I’m sure is the case with most people). After the reversing and coupling tests that I flew through, the examiner said that we would be out on the road for 50 minutes.
After still driving around for 50 minutes, and not being held up in any way, we were still well away from the test centre. We arrived back after 1 hour and 5 minutes in what I felt was a pretty flawless test, which he said that I had failed. Even my instructor was surprised at how long we had been out, he thought I had crashed or broke down!
The reason for failing was a steering issue on a sharp left hand turn towards the end of the test. I straddled both lanes at the front of a set of traffic lights and he said that I had then moved my steering wheel fractionally right before swinging left and this could have caused my back end to create a gap for a car to come up the left hand side■■?
As I had only perhaps moved forward about a couple of feet (or else I would have missed the turn totally) before applying the left turn , I strongly doubt the back end would have created a sufficient gap for a car.
The main thing that has peed me off is that this happened after the 50 minute mark. After doing several left and right turns successfully throughout the test I feel that I was kept out until I eventually made a slight mistake. I felt like arguing my case with him about the extra 15 minutes added to my test and the back end gap, but probably wouldn’t get me anywhere anyway, and I might end up with him again :unamused:
Several drivers I have spoke to have said this was a bit harsh and that I must have had a overkeen examiner that has to hit his monthly quota of fails :confused:
Surely this can’t happen, can it?

The answer to your last question is…no it does not happen. Stop fuming, put it behind you and concentrate on the next one. I came across many like yourself when I was training.
Even saw a guy pull a knife on an examiner!
These examiners always give you the benefit of the doubt and if you did not pass then you did not deserve to. Regarding the time taken on a test, a lot depends on the route taken and the traffic conditions. Your examiner was quite within his rights so forget about it and good luck next time.

The results are set in stone so there was no point, you did well.

It certainly sounds like you could have passed and you were a bit unlucky on the day. Many routes would not have had such a situation to fall foul of, but another route might have had something else, you never know. It is not a perfect system.

jakethesnake:
The answer to your last question is…no it does not happen. Stop fuming, put it behind you and concentrate on the next one. I came across many like yourself when I was training.
These examiners always give you the benefit of the doubt and if you did not pass then you did not deserve to. Regarding the time taken on a test, a lot depends on the route taken and the traffic conditions. Your examiner was quite within his rights so forget about it and good luck next time.

Like I said, the traffic conditions were fine, no hold ups and I had covered everything and should have been heading back to the test centre after about 40 minutes.
To be told we’d be out for 50 minutes then be kept out an additional 15 seems wrong, a bit like being told you’ve got 100 questions for a test, you complete them ok and so get given an extra 30 and failing on one of those.
As you say I’ve got to put it behind me and focus on the next one. I just hope I don’t get the same examiner and remember to leave any knives at home :smiley:

i had friend who was an examiner for about 30 years and the way he saw it was that they are human beings working for a government type body.
they all just want to get through their job as the invisible grey man.
they dont want to constantly pass,nor fail.
if your getting the benefit of doubt,then it wont be given if they dislike your attitude enough and vise versa.
its all down to their opinion at the end of the day.

there are candidates who are going to pass unless they mess up enough to fail,as there are candidates who will fail unless they are good enough to pass.
having a run of constant passes or fails isnt something they want to be noticed for.
you got failed,its disappointing but not the end of the world,just put back in for another test asap and hop for a different hiviz herbert the next time.

NorthernApe:

jakethesnake:

Like I said, the traffic conditions were fine, no hold ups and I had covered everything and should have been heading back to the test centre after about 40 minutes.
To be told we’d be out for 50 minutes then be kept out an additional 15 seems wrong, a bit like being told you’ve got 100 questions for a test, you complete them ok and so get given an extra 30 and failing on one of those.
As you say I’ve got to put it behind me and focus on the next one. I just hope I don’t get the same examiner and remember to leave any knives at home :smiley:

Yep, that’s what you have to do. Obviously I can’t speak for you because I was not there but I have known of tests where the examiner has given a driver a little extra time to check certain areas of driving in the hope they can then pass the candidate. It’s very very unlikely you will get the same examiner the second time. Just go over the points with your instructor and make sure everything is spot on for the next one.

As I have a bit of spare time today I was reading your original post again and was wondering why you steered right just before turning left.
Were you doing that at other junctions?
If you only did it once and there was no danger or confusion to other drivers it should only have been a minor fault.
I am sure your instructor has told you to take up enough position on approach as suddenly turning right can and does cause confusion to other drivers.
It also happens to be a bad habit of some experienced drivers.
Hope that helps a little.

dieseldog999:
i had friend who was an examiner for about 30 years and the way he saw it was that they are human beings working for a government type body.
if your getting the benefit of doubt,then it wont be given if they dislike your attitude enough and vise versa.

there are candidates who are going to pass unless they mess up enough to fail,as there are candidates who will fail unless they are good enough to pass.
having a run of constant passes or fails isnt something they want to be noticed for.
you got failed,its disappointing but not the end of the world,just put back in for another test asap and hop for a different hiviz herbert the next time.

Funnily enough, I did think I had upset him when I said I needed to nip to the loo for a pee before we went out for the test. He looked at me and said “well if you must” and seemed a bit sulky at making him wait.

Every failure is a step towards success, my child.

NorthernApe:
Funnily enough, I did think I had upset him when I said I needed to nip to the loo for a pee before we went out for the test. He looked at me and said “well if you must” and seemed a bit sulky at making him wait.

Chief, they probably are quite stern so you know they are serious. They are not there to act like your friend because that would send out the wrong signal in the situation.

Maybe you were borderline a bit earlier on your steering. He might have thought I will take him back this way and if he cracks this corner I will pass him. The examiner is always right. Come back and play the game again with a few finishing touches and they will pass you fine. You will be all the better for it. You could have kept that habit for years and if he passes it he rubber stamps you being out on the road letting cars up the inside. You have to drive defensively because of the idiots on the road. You had an indicator on, so nobody should be coming up, but they do.

jakethesnake:
As I have a bit of spare time today I was reading your original post again and was wondering why you steered right just before turning left.
If you only did it once and there was no danger or confusion to other drivers it should only have been a minor fault.
I am sure your instructor has told you to take up enough position on approach as suddenly turning right can and does cause confusion to other drivers.

I did not realise I had done it to be honest, but I suppose subconsciously it can be done when trying to create a bigger turning arc. He said it was only on the final left turn and not at any other junctions, there was no confusion to others as I was the first in the queue at the lights, straddling both lanes and indicating left.
A very slight right turn of the wheel when setting off before swinging left would not have brought the back end away from the kerb too much as it is a 90 degree turn approx 6 ft away from the lights, it’s not like I was steering right for 10 feet or so before turning left, which is probably what would be needed to create enough room for a car to come up the inside.

NorthernApe:

dieseldog999:

Yes you may have cheesed him off for making him wait but that would not cause you to fail.
If you made him short of time I doubt he would have kept you out longer.
If you had been my student you would have been for a pee before the examiner appeared. :wink:

NorthernApe:

jakethesnake:

I did not realise I had done it to be honest, but I suppose subconsciously it can be done when trying to create a bigger turning arc. He said it was only on the final left turn and not at any other junctions, there was no confusion to others as I was the first in the queue at the lights, straddling both lanes and indicating left.
A very slight right turn of the wheel when setting off before swinging left would not have brought the back end away from the kerb too much as it is a 90 degree turn approx 6 ft away from the lights, it’s not like I was steering right for 10 feet or so before turning left, which is probably what would be needed to create enough room for a car to come up the inside.

Fair enough, sounds good to me but not seeing your drive can’t really say anymore that best of luck on the next one.

jakethesnake:

NorthernApe:

dieseldog999:

Yes you may have cheesed him off for making him wait but that would not cause you to fail.
If you had been my student you would have been for a pee before the examiner appeared. :wink:

I didn’t have time, we had only just arrived at the centre when he appeared out of the door, did our paperwork and then started to lead me outside to start the test. That was when we walked past the toilets and I asked him as I knew I wouldn’t get the chance for a while.

NorthernApe:

jakethesnake:

NorthernApe:

dieseldog999:

I didn’t have time, we had only just arrived at the centre when he appeared out of the door, did our paperwork and then started to lead me outside to start the test. That was when we walked past the toilets and I asked him as I knew I wouldn’t get the chance for a while.

ok, fair enough . I don’t know the circumstances but we always had our students at the test centre at least ten minutes before the test time.
Any look forward not back. :wink:

I failed my first HGV test, at the time I felt a bit cheated, it was on the downhill pull away, being Norfolk decent hills aren’t abundant, so this one has a corner, you only see the vehicles quite late, not a problem if they’re at the speed limit, the one came down at what seemed far faster than the other just as I was pulling away, so failed on pulling out in to front of it.

Went back a few week later, after a bit more training and had another go, same examiner, in the first few minutes of the test we come up to a roundabout, looked clear, started to pull away, only to see a Learner car was in front of me, jumped on the brakes, nearly put the examiner through the window, no seat belts in those days, carried on with the test, but instead of completing the standard route, started going through the city, he was finding every tight turn, tricky junction, because at the time I thought I’d failed I was quite relaxed and just got round everything he put in front of me, got back to the test centre and he asked what happened at the roundabout, I said “I was convinced the learner car was turning left because of it road position.” He said “so was he, the first he knew it wasn’t, was when I tried to launch him through the window and I’d passed.” He also remembered failing me a few weeks earlier.

After the rambling, just put it behind you, talk to your instructor, see if you are subconsciously moving right slightly and have another crack at it, don’t worry about getting the same examiner, or if the test takes a bit longer than you expect.

1973 AEC Mandator V6 RITB I think great truck for lessons and test,Flew threw part in center,flew threw part out on road ,back at center (i talked to him right through test) he showed me and asked what the traffic signs were I was looking at them but my brain went blank ,.I told him he said brush up on code then passed me have been my lucky day.So all I can say get back in for test you will be ok

I got laughed at by my test examiner, there was a yellow f7 baby unit with a 20ft single axle short flat attached outside the door of the test centre , so he walked towards it as we went out.
I walked away from him towards my old mans ancient Sed Atk with a tank behind it and had to call out to him !
He laughed and said “you deserve a licence if that’s what you are going to drive for the next hour”…
It transpired he had worked with the old man twenty yrs before .
I passed.

3 wheeler:
I got laughed at by my test examiner, there was a yellow f7 baby unit with a 20ft single axle short flat attached outside the door of the test centre , so he walked towards it as we went out.
I walked away from him towards my old mans ancient Sed Atk with a tank behind it and had to call out to him !
He laughed and said “you deserve a licence if that’s what you are going to drive for the next hour”…
I passed.

He had probably drove that when he worked with your old man and knew what a dog it was[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

3 wheeler:
I passed.

He had probably drove that when he worked with your old man and knew what a dog it was[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluey, that just might have been the truth, it was bloody old and horrid.