One for the dashboard tray table brigade

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … onths.html

Lorry driver, 50, who killed a young doctor when he knocked her off her bicycle because his view was blocked by a dashboard tray-table is jailed for 21 months

Nothing in the swept area for a good reason.

Then when the police try and enforce it everyone gives it the whole you nothing better to do shouldn’t you be catching burglars and rapists. Well actually no the roads policing units have got nothing better to do because enforcing this stuff can save a life. Proof is in what happened here.

A ‘‘Three tier table’’ :open_mouth: …and with a load of crap and a sign on it?
I’m not surprised he couldn’t see the ■■■■■■■ the bike.
Let’s not get carried away here Rowley on a knee jerk reaction though, by congratulating the police for catching somebody in a hardly typical situation…I ain’t got a truck table myself, although used to have, and I never had any bother when I did, (although not a 3 tier one ) as 100s of other drivers don’t/didn’t.
Not wanting to take anything at all away from the tragic needless loss of life of the young girl, but it was an isolated untypical case was it not.

Btw…should the thread title not be ‘‘One for the dashboard table brigade’’ :neutral_face:

Regardless of this man’s cluttered windscreen it is still thoughtless to be on a bicycle on the inside of a lorry at a set of traffic lights. It is the combination of BOTH persons errors that led to this incident.

robroy:
Btw…should the thread title not be ‘‘One for the dashboard table brigade’’ :neutral_face:

I like to think I respond positively to criticism, so have fixed the title for you. :smiley:

Cosmic:
Regardless of this man’s cluttered windscreen it is still thoughtless to be on a bicycle on the inside of a lorry at a set of traffic lights. It is the combination of BOTH persons errors that led to this incident.

“Dr Bull was wearing bright pink clothing in a designated cycle lane and was up to three-and-a-half metres in front of the Scania HGV before it struck her.”

Give your head a wobble.

Cosmic:

Read the article man, she was in a ‘‘Designated cycle lane up to 3 and a half metres in front’’ …(…dressed in hi vis pink clothing) before he hit her.
So he obviously approached her,… so she wasn’t sat on the inside of him was she.
I’m all for sticking up for drivers being a one myself, but the way I see it this lass was doing nothing wrong, and the driver didn’t see her for all the crap blocking his view.

Franglais:

Cosmic:

“Dr Bull was wearing bright pink clothing in a designated cycle lane and was up to three-and-a-half metres in front of the Scania HGV before it struck her.”

Give your head a wobble.

And hopefully it will fall off.

but it was an isolated untypical case was it not.

Yes there are not that many of these type of accidents and we probably don’t hear about most but it could happen to anyone with a blocked windscreen.
It’s just circumstances at the time and mostly drivers get away with it.

robroy:

Cosmic:

Read the article man, she was in a ‘‘Designated cycle lane up to 3 and a half metres in front’’ …(…dressed in hi vis pink clothing) before he hit her.
So he obviously approached her,… so she wasn’t sat on the inside of him was she.
I’m all for sticking up for drivers being a one myself, but the way I see it this lass was doing nothing wrong, and the driver didn’t see her for all the crap blocking his view.

I did read the article. In fact I looked back over some additional stories which reported at the time of the incident. I have also looked at the incident pictures showing the lorry involved, and a picture of the crossroads. So let me inform you. There is no designated cycle lane, only some make-believe space marked by some dotted lines which comes to an end at the crossroads. Another article says he passed her 30 seconds before the incident. So how then does she come to be up his inside? Because they both waited at the lights together, and moved off together. The only point I am trying to make is, it’s yet another left-turning lorry versus bicycle incident, only this time they’ve made the most out of his dash table, and I do admit, he had a lot of nonsense on there, plastic Santa Claus figures and everything. I did not remove any blame from the lorry driver, did I? I simply stated that there is additional blame for the cyclist as well.

I drove a Scania about a year ago with a table fitted, drove onto a weighbridge couldn’t see down the nearside front so removed table. Dangerous is my opinion of them.

Cosmic:

robroy:

Cosmic:

I did read the article. In fact I looked back over some additional stories which reported at the time of the incident. I have also looked at the incident pictures showing the lorry involved, and a picture of the crossroads. So let me inform you. There is no designated cycle lane, only some make-believe space marked by some dotted lines which comes to an end at the crossroads. Another article says he passed her 30 seconds before the incident. So how then does she come to be up his inside? Because they both waited at the lights together, and moved off together. The only point I am trying to make is, it’s yet another left-turning lorry versus bicycle incident, only this time they’ve made the most out of his dash table, and I do admit, he had a lot of nonsense on there, plastic Santa Claus figures and everything. I did not remove any blame from the lorry driver, did I? I simply stated that there is additional blame for the cyclist as well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1

did this one not get flogged to death a while ago?
either way,mobile organ donor collides with truck as she was daft enough to be in the wrong position regarding a turning truck as usual scaremongered by the media looking for blood.

elsa Lad:
I drove a Scania about a year ago with a table fitted, drove onto a weighbridge couldn’t see down the nearside front so removed table. Dangerous is my opinion of them.

Correct position of the forward mirror will solve that problem.

Mazzer2:

elsa Lad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i dont think they have caused as many accidents as the size of the mirrors on most modern trucks nowadays.

elsa Lad:
Dangerous is my opinion of them.

So is crossing the road, but it depends how you adapt to it.
I would think the obvious pathetic standard UK answer from some, would be ‘ban em’ :unamused:
. (It’s either ban them or tax them whenever and whatever 'they’re may be in this country when the bandwagon is jumped on :unamused: )

My ex model Mrs wears killer heels and can walk fine in them no probs, and ‘carry them off’ where as other women can’t walk in them for toffee, so if some fat bird from Essex or whatever, trips and breaks her ankle, should they be banned?
Ok…a crap analogy granted :blush: , but you get my drift. :bulb: :smiley:

Mazzer2:

elsa Lad:

You need a mirror to look forwards .
Catch yourself on.

Suedehead:

Mazzer2:

elsa Lad:

You need a mirror to look forwards .
Catch yourself on.

Lost me there

Why are these things even allowed to be sold? If it’s illegal to have one it should be illegal to sell them.

Anyone who has anything in the swept area of the screen is a ■■■■ we have established this without question.

The problem we have is the lack of enforcement, the roads are not policed anywhere near the level that they should be, enforcement is now the submitted dash cam footage of joe public and the odd scamera van.

The drink and drug drivers the un insured the aggresive selfish ■■■■■■■■■ and everyone in between goes under the radar the punishments are a joke and innocent people continue to die.

I like the job of truck driving, it causes me no stress whatsoever, I loathe the commute of 45 miles round trip in the car i want to choke an ■■■■■■■■ on a daily basis.

Harry Monk:
Why are these things even allowed to be sold? If it’s illegal to have one it should be illegal to sell them.

I’m struggling to comprehend what goes through the mind of someone who thinks this would be a good idea.