Why do some truckers drive such crappy cars?

TheUncaringCowboy:

Roymondo:

TheUncaringCowboy:
An E39 has more torque than an “old school” LS.

Er - no it doesn’t. Any of the LS “crate” engines give significantly more torque (425 - 485 ft-lb as compared with the E39 M5 at 369 ft-lb). Even the lowest spec iron-blocked L96 “truck” engine give a little more than the BMW. As the old saying goes “There ain’t no substitute for cubic inches” :slight_smile:

Our resident moon howler said “old school”. The LS started in the mid 90s with 350lb ft. E39s are 370lbft. I assumed he meant the first generation.

The LS2 and beyond have more. I’m not sure he knows what an LS is, since the Granada he’s dribbling about is 10 years older than the LS. My mistake, I’m expecting him to make sense.

It’s clear that I just meant not having the complication of a gazillion overhead camshafts and even more valves and variable valve timing, also taking up more room under the bonnet, to ultimately go slower in the case of the E39 not the Granada.

As for the Mk2 Granada as I said that was also going to go quite quick enough with a just as old school, but obviously smaller capacity 302, or 351, Ford V8.Quick enough to sort out an E28, possibly even an E34 M5, in that case.Again without all the expensive complicated aggro of multi OHC and valves.