Overtime and legal

Winseer:
I’ve re-checked the gov website, and indeed it has been changed from 25 to 24 hours at some point since I last did my DCPC in 2018.

Thing is, erring in the direction I have - doesn’t do any harm, whereas people that now push for back-to-back hours with minimum everything - are now going to come to grief from issues such as “being stuck in traffic on the way home at the end of a long week” - at which point they are perfectly legal to fall asleep in their own car, undercut a parked artic, and end up dead - “Not on firm’s time” - so no one gives a ■■■■.

My taking a 25 minimum weekly rest - isn’t against the law, neither of course.
Thus, my errant “advice” as you’d have it - didn’t do any harm although if it makes just a 1% difference to commercial drivers who drive tired on a regular basis “taking 25 rather than 24 minimum weekly rest” - it would save 8 lives out of the 800 drivers who die in road accidents each and every year - right?

It is better to err on the side of caution then, than on the side of caustic where rigid application of the law merely leads one to an early grave the moment something external gets added into the algorhythm.

■■■■■■■■! Best practice is not legal advice. You misquoted legal advice, it’s akin to saying that in a 30mph limit you must not exceed 20mph, it may very well be prudent to do 20 but it has no basis in law.

My point was that you weren’t merely offering an opinion, you were stating the law incorrectly and that’s the sort of thing that gets people in trouble.

As for saving 8 lives a year that’s merely yet a n other arbitrary figure you’ve plucked from your mind in an attempt to justify everything else you got wrong.