Motor car drivers to be allowed to drive trucks

simcor:

robroy:

simcor:
I think some people need to remove their rose tinted spectacles. Many jobs years ago were not as safe as they are these days, not just truck driving.

In both times there will be and are those who are crap at the job and will cause carnage, whether like back in the day or now there will always be those people.

In the old days there were deffo crap drivers yes, but there is a big difference between a poor driver and an incapable, inept and [zb] useless one.
The latter were filtered out, because in those days driving an old truck and a car was like comparing chalk to cheese, they were not that easy, enigmatic non synchronized gearboxes to name one aspect, but nowadays a truck is essentially the same as driving a bloody big car in terms of similarities … so imo that is why we get the clowns and the chimps, because there is no net to stop them getting through any longer…virtually anybody can pass a test to drive a one.
After saying that there are also a lot of good drivers today as in older times, it’s just that the previously mentioned clowns and chimps stand out more.

They do but would you honestly want to go back to crappy knackered boxes giving you a workout or just go with the flow. Not to mention all the other stuff like no air con etc and uncomfortable to drive.

Things change and times change as I said, but either way there will still be numpties that should not be let loose in a car let alone a truck.

But look after yourself and keep out of their way is the best bet.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Nah you’ve got me all wrong mate, there is no way in hell I’d go back to old style and manual trucks, been there done that, not interested any more, anything for an easy life these days
I was merely pointing out the negative side of what they call tech and progress, the dumbing down of the job, and as to how and why the driving standards are generally ■■■■ poor.
The only way to get back to decent standards of driving is at training school level, ie…teach them how to DRIVE a truck, teach them skills, courtesy and empathy, and not just how to get around a set test route parrot fashion without picking up penalty fail points.
In other words raise both standards and criteria of driver…but in real world.

Ain’t gonna happen. :neutral_face: