Get you home dodges

i got to thinking about Limp modes and how the idea is you can keep driving to get you home or to a mechanic even tho theres a fault . My uncle once had a puncture when out at the seaside and got his wife to pull up a whole load of grass from the verge and then stuffed it inside the tyre so they could drive the 20 miles home! I just wondered if any of you know of any dodges that when trouble looms can get you out of it ,get you home ?

Using the fog lights when the rear lights fail on the trailer

peirre:
Using the fog lights when the rear lights fail on the trailer

Using the fog lights when the reversing lights aren’t bright enough.

Winding off the trailer brake with a blown air bag and strap up the offending axle for one wheel or brake that has locked on or leaking air .
Ratchet strap a fuel tank with broken bands .
Leaving the engine running when the engine turn off switch broke on the driver side footwell with a defective button and could not turn off with an ignition key ; DAF 95 .

James Richards:
Winding off the trailer brake with a blown air bag and strap up the offending axle for one wheel or brake that has locked on or leaking air .
Ratchet strap a fuel tank with broken bands .

As above,.aka stuff they would jail you got now :smiley: …Blanking off trailer brake pipes with cable ties, wrapping continuously blowing fuses with silver paper, :laughing:
Ah yeh I remember 80s trucking well. :laughing:
Different times different job.

Tea and biscuits with the TC now and grovel for your license.

When doing a “Friday Flyer” of some considerable distance, getting a couple of hours down the road before putting your tacho card in :wink:

One would have thought that the kit needed to facilitate stuffing one’s tyre with broken glass, and circumcising the skipper - is more than required to actually change the wheel outright following a blow-out… :question: :smiley:

corij:
i got to thinking about Limp modes and how the idea is you can keep driving to get you home or to a mechanic even tho theres a fault . My uncle once had a puncture when out at the seaside and got his wife to pull up a whole load of grass from the verge and then stuffed it inside the tyre so they could drive the 20 miles home! I just wondered if any of you know of any dodges that when trouble looms can get you out of it ,get you home ?

That Sir, is a corker :sunglasses: :smiley:

corij:
My uncle once had a puncture when out at the seaside and got his wife to pull up a whole load of grass from the verge and then stuffed it inside the tyre so they could drive the 20 miles home!

When the RDC waiting rooms open again, it’s my personal mission to see if I can start a new “chalk off the tyres on a bay” style urban myth with this one lol.

On the way to my CE test, we blow a brake chamber. Stopped and mole gripped the air line. then tied it all up with insulation tape. so examiner could not see it. And I passed lol :smiley: :open_mouth:

corij:

My father did that on his push bike, as a kid, during WW II, but I doubt it word work on a car.

I’m sure it was an Eric Vick driver who, many years ago, told me that they had been in Spain in ERF with 8lxb Gardner engine.
Something happened to a piston, and they had to park up and see what they could do. So, head off, sump off, bad piston and conrod removed, Big end shells jubilee clipped back onto the crankshaft, reassemble everything, toggle the relevant lever on the injector pump to stop fuel getting to the empty cylinder and come home on 7cylinders.

Drove a 7.5 ton truck with back brakes disconnected on one side as fitter couldn’t get the required parts. Don’t ask.

Drove an Vito 8 seater with shoe lace holding trhottle wide open as accelerator cable had snapped. Had to turn it off every time I stopped as it was revving it’s nuts off obviously. Using appropriate gears to keep speed down.

Drove my stepdads 205 back with no clutch cable when that snapped from Stoke on Trent.

Sure there are many other bodges I’ve had to do over the years but can’t think of anymore off hand.

Thankfully never in a truck. But I’ve had to be recovered a couple of times.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Oh and swapped the points and rotar arm and dizzy cap on my polo many years ago in the howling rain and wind in the dark, over corley services motorway bridge. That was a fun night. They needed replacing as it wasn’t running very good but had got the parts and they were in the boot and my tools were as well. Eventually gave up at the wrong place and time, hence repairing it there and then. But that’s when things were simple with a distributor ignition system. I should add I was only probably 19 at the time so a young whipper snapper.

But I always fixed my own cars even back then.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I tried the grass in a flat tyre trick on a motorbike when I was young, an old boy at work told me about that one. It worked for about 400 yards before all the grass worked it’s way into one big lump and the bike felt like a mobile Kango hammer, I stopped to remove and the grass was too hot to touch and almost smoking, I never listened to this bloke after that.

I once drove from Ipswich to Livingston after the clutch release fork broke on my Ford van - this was in 1966 so before A1 and A68 improvements, anticipation at traffic lights, if a stop was necessary dropped into first and started in gear. Useful learning experience.

GORDON 50:
I tried the grass in a flat tyre trick on a motorbike when I was young, an old boy at work told me about that one. It worked for about 400 yards before all the grass worked it’s way into one big lump and the bike felt like a mobile Kango hammer, I stopped to remove and the grass was too hot to touch and almost smoking, I never listened to this bloke after that.

thats interesting ,red hot grass .Makes me doubt my uncles story now [20 mile uneventful drive] He also told me how he once swallowed a cod bone by accident about a day later the said bone wedged across his back passage .He got a biro and rammed the pentop onto it well and his wife poked it down his passage and used the pen clip to hook out the bone . All these yrs i thought that was true as well,i mean why make it up?

corij:

GORDON 50:

thats interesting ,red hot grass .Makes me doubt my uncles story now [20 mile uneventful drive] He also told me how he once swallowed a cod bone by accident about a day later the said bone wedged across his back passage .He got a biro and rammed the pentop onto it well and his wife poked it down his passage and used the pen clip to hook out the bone . All these yrs i thought that was true as well,i mean why make it up?

Looks like a letter from the Viz top tips page :smiley:

Had a plastic air pipe split on a Man in Itie years back. “Borrowed” a piece of reinforced hose from a fire extinguisher in the services, cut the plastic pipe and made a join with the hose, securing it with a couple of jubilee clips.