Get you home dodges

Pee’d in the ad-blue tank when I ran dry once.

1. Ford ■■■■■■ Mark 1 had a silly gearstick that was held in with a threaded plastic cap, the threads would come undone or the stick just fell out. I used a wide flat screwdriver to move the selector for a couple of weeks until I could get to the scrapyard.

2. I made a schoolboy error and ran out of fuel on the A3 next to Frankfurt Airport. My get out of jail fix was to cut a piece of pipe from my gas bottle to fridge and used it to extend the fuel stack pipe in the tank. I gained myself about another 15km which was enough to get me off the motorway into a small village just off the A5. Fortunately it was easy to bleed through and it started OK so I escaped going to jail and a large fine. I kept that piece of pipe for years in my box of gubbins. It was about 1.5 inches long.

3. After locating a slow puncture in a tyre. I had a few large self tapping screws, which I screwed one into the offending hole really tight, it wore off the steel head but the thread remained in the tyre, it got me home from Hungary to the UK

Wheel Nut:

1. Ford ■■■■■■ Mark 1 had a silly gearstick that was held in with a threaded plastic cap, the threads would come undone or the stick just fell out. I used a wide flat screwdriver to move the selector for a couple of weeks until I could get to the scrapyard.

2. I made a schoolboy error and ran out of fuel on the A3 next to Frankfurt Airport. My get out of jail fix was to cut a piece of pipe from my gas bottle to fridge and used it to extend the fuel stack pipe in the tank. I gained myself about another 15km which was enough to get me off the motorway into a small village just off the A5. Fortunately it was easy to bleed through and it started OK so I escaped going to jail and a large fine. I kept that piece of pipe for years in my box of gubbins. It was about 1.5 inches long.

3. After locating a slow puncture in a tyre. I had a few large self tapping screws, which I screwed one into the offending hole really tight, it wore off the steel head but the thread remained in the tyre, it got me home from Hungary to the UK

In the cortinas I had it was a metal thread in gearbox & a nylon thread on bottom of gear-lever , my mrs managed to end up with my 2.3 ghia gear lever in her hand , but not connected to the gearbox , I just a cable tie around the bottom of lever and cable tied round the gearbox then up and around cable tie around bottom of gear lever , was like that until I got a new gear lever , and even then I cable tied it for extra strength as I knew it would come loose in time , obviously rubber cover hid cable tie
Seals went inside/ outside so I masticed them , lots of people had black seals in those days , passed it’s mot !!

on way home from Portsmouth to NE in hillman imp rad started leaking …stopped in a little village near a church so I went in and asked if he could spare some porridge oats (he thought I wanted food) I put it in the rad and it got me home…this was in early 70s

on way home from Portsmouth to NE in hillman imp rad started leaking …stopped in a little village near a church so I went in and asked if he could spare some porridge oats (he thought I wanted food) I put it in the rad and it got me home…this was in early 70s