Clarity on Class 1 average earnings! Plus supermarket pay

Think it depends where you live, I’m from Northamptonshire where wages tend to be higher than average for drivers.

Blue chip high street chains/supermarkets tend to pay the best rates especially on agency, but you got work most weekends to keep busy.

My wife don’t mind me having my rest days in the week (No young kids) £50000 is norm now if it carries on like it’s been over the last couple of years. No nights out but quite a bit of manual work to keep you fit which doesn’t suit everyone but I enjoy it.

elsa Lad:
Think it depends where you live, I’m from Northamptonshire where wages tend to be higher than average for drivers.

Blue chip high street chains/supermarkets tend to pay the best rates especially on agency, but you got work most weekends to keep busy.

My wife don’t mind me having my rest days in the week (No young kids) £50000 is norm now if it carries on like it’s been over the last couple of years. No nights out but quite a bit of manual work to keep you fit which doesn’t suit everyone but I enjoy it.

Manual work?
Use it. Or lose it!
Arms, legs, heart…fitness generally.
(sent from a terrace nursing a(nother) beer)

hutpik:
Maybe its just me but i’ve never understood the way people focus so much on the brutto wage,to me its irrelevant what you get brutto,surely the only thing which matters is what goes in the bank.Its easy to impress with a high brutto but what is the end result after all the deductions.

As few people have exactly the same personal/financial/tax circumstances, gross pay is usually the most straightforward way to compare the pay for different jobs. The person doing the comparison can then apply his own tax/financial situation to the figures quoted.

“Thanks for the replies!! How many hours did you have to do for that a week?”

About 60 probably on average.

And “what supermarket.”

C’mon I can’t do all the hard work for you :laughing:

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

Haha fair enough! Thanks for your help

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

So you worked somewhere in the region of 3000 hours, making an average hourly rate of £17 per hour. Presumably a good whack of your pay is at an overtime rate, and it’s nightshift. I’m guessing the normal nightshift rate is about £15 per hour. Top line looks impressive, but you’ve worked a load of hours for it!
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%. Then NI deductions on top of that.
Personally, I would prefer to cut my hours once the earnings take me over the 20% tax rate (this year that threshold has been increased to £50270). It would break my heart knowing that over 40% of my earnings were going straight to HM Treasury. Not that it’s likely to happen in my case!

Edit… Sorry, I was looking at English income tax rates. Scottish rates are slightly different: gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/ … 1-tax-year

Brandane62:

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

So you worked somewhere in the region of 3000 hours, making an average hourly rate of £17 per hour. Presumably a good whack of your pay is at an overtime rate, and it’s nightshift. I’m guessing the normal nightshift rate is about £15 per hour. Top line looks impressive, but you’ve worked a load of hours for it!
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%. Then NI deductions on top of that.
Personally, I would prefer to cut my hours once the earnings take me over the 20% tax rate (this year that threshold has been increased to £50270). It would break my heart knowing that over 40% of my earnings were going straight to HM Treasury. Not that it’s likely to happen in my case!

Edit… Sorry, I was looking at English income tax rates. Scottish rates are slightly different: gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/ … 1-tax-year

The original poster was asking about earnings and I then clarified how I earned that sum, your breakdown of my rate is inaccurate and you have also not taken into account nearly 8 weeks holiday. But yes roughly 12 hours a day is reasonably long however that’s how long the job takes so it is what is.
Tax wise it’s not something I worry about, I pay what they take, all you can hope is that they might fix a pothole with some of it!
What it shows is that you can earn 50k plus however if you want a 35 hour week you might need some more qualifications than I have.

Brandane62:
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%.

Why do people still not understand how ■■■■■■ income tax works? The number of people who seem to think either you pay 40% on everything or 40% above your personal allowance or 40% on whatever number they pulled out their arse just because you earn enough to put you in that bracket is truly shocking.

It’s simple beyond belief:

Personal Allowance: Up to £12,570 0%
Basic rate: £12,571 to £50,270 20%
Higher rate £50,271 to £150,000 40%

So only any income ABOVE £50,270 is taxed at 40%.

Conor:

So you’re saying is…you only get to keep half of what you earn ABOVE £50,270. (40% tax + 10% NI or more let’s pretend you don’t pay 2nd pension) so if your rate is £16 per hour (nights) it’s actually £8 p.h. to put it in real terms or if you’re on £20 OT it’s actually £10 :blush:

ETS:

Conor:

So you’re saying is…you only get to keep half of what you earn ABOVE £50,270. (40% tax + 10% NI or more let’s pretend you don’t pay 2nd pension) so if your rate is £16 per hour (nights) it’s actually £8 p.h. to put it in real terms or if you’re on £20 OT it’s actually £10 :blush:

Yes! But NI rates are a bit more complicated, see here… gov.uk/national-insurance-rates-letters

Brandane62:

ETS:

Conor:

Yes! But NI rates are a bit more complicated, see here… gov.uk/national-insurance-rates-letters

There’s a useful online tool here:

thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

You can use it to see how much of any proposed rise or overtime you will actually see in your back pocket.

If you pop in a gross figure of £50,500 (ie just over the threshold for Higher Rate tax for most folk) you get a take-home figure of £37979. If you did four hours’ overtime at £25 an hour your gross would be £100 higher but your take home would only increase by £58 - which equates to £14.50 for every extra hour worked.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Brandane62:

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

If you go over the higher rate,you can put this extra money into your pension and nit pay any tax on the extra because pension contributions are taken out before they apply the tax

Sploom:
If you go over the higher rate,you can put this extra money into your pension and nit pay any tax on the extra because pension contributions are taken out before they apply the tax

In theory - although many (most?) company schemes don’t have any mechanism by which you can make additional contributions on an ad hoc basis just because you did a little extra OT this week.

Roymondo:

Sploom:

In theory - although many (most?) company schemes don’t have any mechanism by which you can make additional contributions on an ad hoc basis just because you did a little extra OT this week.

I’m sure he means once you reach £50k in the year you log in into your pension account and max the % then lower it again next year, all of which is still pointless imo

ETS:

Conor:

So you’re saying is…you only get to keep half of what you earn ABOVE £50,270. (40% tax + 10% NI or more let’s pretend you don’t pay 2nd pension)

No because your NI rated drops when you get to that amount. When you get to over £100k then you need to get worried.

Roymondo:

So open a SIPP like I have and do it yourself. The SIPP provider will reclaim the basic rate 20% and you’ll have to do a manual reclaim for the additional 20% for any income that was in the higher tax bracket that you paid into your SIPP.

jcole2696:
Hi everyone ,

My earlier post didn’t make it clear what average annual earnings are for class 1 drivers down south.

I hear 45-55k is doable with long hours etc and I hear supermarkets can pay quite well.

Anyone in here earning that sort of money?

Thanks for all the replies!

P.s no depressing comments lol

I’m doing £45k-£50k on a 26 tonne rigid down south after our 23.49% pay rise and £3,500 bonus. Granted it’s long hours, 55-65 hours a week but only M-F, no hand balling, no nights out. Crazy early starts 2.30am-4am but Nationwide work and I love it.

47 and a bit last year, averaged 55hrs a week, supermarket days south east. Had a pay rise since so same hrs this year about 50 ish.

Conor:

ETS:

Conor:

So you’re saying is…you only get to keep half of what you earn ABOVE £50,270. (40% tax + 10% NI or more let’s pretend you don’t pay 2nd pension)

No because your NI rated drops when you get to that amount. When you get to over £100k then you need to get worried.

Earning over £100k is a reason to worry? :smiley:
(Your point is taken however)

Wouldn’t it be better, if earning over 50k and above the higher tax threshold - to spend either 6 months outside the UK, or about the same amount of time sitting out, so you get a hefty tax rebate?

Eg.

Earn £4800 gross every month for 12 months, total earned £57600, takehome similar to the posted payslip above…

OR earn £4800 every other month, total earned £28,800, pay enough less tax that you can get by on the months in between, a bit like being on 80% furlough init? Get your holidays in this bit on top, and be able to take your holidays during low season, and thus saving money there as well…?

…You’d also be sharing a job out, if you think about it as well…