New Omicron covid variant

The expert in Pretoria South Africa who is on the front line has stated that the real world situation is that this only causes mild covid in all their cases with no hospital admissions so why the big issue :question:

Here is link to the WHO where this variant is described
who.int/news/item/26-11-202 … (b.1.1.529-sars-cov-2-variant-of-concern

Due respect to those on the front line, but more info is available than they will have in the field.

Note the definition of Variant Of Concern at the end.
It isn`t just whether a variant is more dangerous, but also if it is more contagious.

If more contagious, then clearly more will be affected, so
More overall cases means more in hospital (even if it`s no more dangerous)
and
More cases means more chance of mutations, so even greater risk of more mutations going forward.

Better to be cautious and introduce slightly more controls now, early on, than discover it is worse than expected when it is further spread and multiplied. It would then need far more serious measures. (A stitch in time.)

As we are all likely to get covid at some point then it being more contagious simply means more get it earlier
Surely what matters is the severity :question:

ROG:
As we are all likely to get covid at some point then it being more contagious simply means more get it earlier
Surely what matters is the severity :question:

If/when we as an individual get Covid, what matters is how severe it is, yes.

A more contagious variant means that more people will get the variant.
So there will be more (by number) severe cases, because there are more cases overall.

More cases (severe or not) means more opportunity for mutation, so again more chance of severe variations arising.

Remember too that some variants may be more likely to give re-infection, so “getting Covid earlier” does not mean “getting Covid earlier for the one and only time”. It might mean “getting it earlier” to give more chance of “getting it again later on as well”.

Does that make sense?

Of course it makes sense but it also makes sense that any re-infection is more likely to be less severe as the body immune system will cope better unless that system is compromised in some way

Current stats show that only about 1 in 80 million die from getting it twice

UK was too slow before and is now too quick

I would rather believe real world data than what is speculated about

Just saying like…

ROG:
Of course it makes sense but it also makes sense that any re-infection is more likely to be less severe as the body immune system will cope better unless that system is compromised in some way

Let`s split that up

ROG:

As we get older, we will get weaker systems overall and become more vulnerable to any new infection.
New variants will be more likely to overcome existing vaccine or immunity from previous infection. They are new after all, and just as we catch the flu many times it could be that we will catch covid many times. Getting the flu at 80 doesnt get much less severe than getting flu at 20, does it? Youve had the flu many times but it`s risk of severe outcomes gets worse.

ROG:

What stats are they please?
Those who die, who have had it twice? Those who have had it twice, who die? Or another figure?

ROG:

Opinion I disagree with, A bit of mask wearing etc now, which is no great shakes for most, could prevent need for worse later.
So, why not?

ROG:

Since the new variant is new there is no reliable real world data.

Stats are from the world covid re-infection tracker and WHO global numbers to the 1 in 80 million

They are the official numbers but if we add non confirmed ones and add them to both then I expect the same conclusion

ROG:
Stats are from the world covid re-infection tracker and WHO global numbers to the 1 in 80 million

They are the official numbers but if we add non confirmed ones and add them to both then I expect the same conclusion

Sorry, I don`t follow that at all.

worldometers.info/coronavir … %22%20%5Cl
Coronavirus Cases:

bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/c … n-tracker/
DEATHS 3

It’s too late as we huddle up together in coffee shops and no windows open on buses and retail premises heating set to the maximum temperature, if you open the bus windows expect confrontation from the the ; It’s too cold brigade.
People coughing and sneezing on their hands then use the ATM or press the stop button on the bus without covering their hand.

ROG:
COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer
Coronavirus Cases:

bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/c … n-tracker/
DEATHS 3

Without mixing sources, from your own link to BNO news about re-infections.
Cases 544
Deaths 3
I`ve only just glanced at it. But that is the top line.
Also, there are suspected cases:
Cases 193,599
Deaths 387
.As a.na

I only counted confirmed cases in both links

As I said - we could add to both links with unconfirmed or suspected cases

ROG:
I only counted confirmed cases in both links

As I said - we could add to both links with unconfirmed or suspected cases

Let`s forget the suspected cases then. OK?

The link to BNO says
3 deaths from 544 re-infection cases… Yes?

ROG:

No,

Stats, from your link, show that 3 in 544 die from getting it twice. One in 150-ish.

I`ll look for a parallel and come back

the maoster:
Just saying like…

Tell that to those who are…dead. Sorry, but I will take this pandemic seriously.

The whole worldwide pandemic is what the book 1984 written by George Orwell has become true with authoritative government spying on us , which is what Israel is doing now to spy on their citizens using Pegasus spyware technology to check their citizens if they are confirming to Covid law .
Pegasus spyware infections penetrate mobile phone networks without the owner downloading a link for it to be infected by a virus or hacked.The microphone and photo elements are used to spy on you , Big Brother is here.

Try this.
There are about
260m cases and 5m deaths…
Of those deaths 3 are re-infections…

Pretty sure that is what you are saying? And that is OK.

Now if there are 260,000,000 road accidents a year…
And 5,000,000 people die each year…

that includes
544 accidents with horses…
3 of those were fatalities with horses…

Can you say that there were 3 fatalities with horses from 260 million accidents? …Yes.
But
You cannot say there were 3 fatalities from 260 million accidents with horses.
There were only 544 accidents with horses.

Does that explain it?

ED.
Sorry to GoodFriend if my explanation has caused trauma!

Franglais:

ROG:

No,

Stats, from your link, show that 3 in 544 die from getting it twice. One in 150-ish.

EH !!

How many infected? = got it once
How many die from getting it twice?
Now work out the math …

We are not talking about various virus incidents but only using the stats for covid

ROG:

Franglais:

ROG:

No,

EH !!

How many infected? = got it once
How many die from getting it twice?
Now work out the math …

We are not talking about various virus incidents but only using the stats for covid

See above-
3 out of 544 die from getting it twice.
Not 3 from 80 million.

Ed
80 million have not had it twice.