New Omicron covid variant

If 240+ million had it once then how many of those died from getting it twice :question:
NOT got it twice which is 544

Try it this way:

Of 544 reinfected, 3 died.
Of 260 million, 5 million died.
You are mixing up two different things by saying 3 in 260 million died.
260 million did not have COVID twice.
Only 544 did.
(That’s my best shot for tonight)

Dipster:

the maoster:
Just saying like…

Tell that to those who are…dead. Sorry, but I will take this pandemic seriously.

Same here, there’s no point lying awake at night worrying about it but I do take it seriously.

Classic oranges and apples…
You’ve got a big fruit bowl.
90 apples and 10 oranges.
9 apples are rotten.
1 orange is rotten.
You can say 10 in 100 pieces of fruit is rotten.
You can say 1 in 10 oranges is rotten.
You cannot say 1 in 100 pieces of fruit is rotten.
It is true that 1 orange in the fruit bowl is rotten.
But saying 1 in 100 is not true.
There are 10 pieces of rotten fruit in the bowl.

Does that work for you?

tachograph:

Dipster:

the maoster:
Just saying like…

Tell that to those who are…dead. Sorry, but I will take this pandemic seriously.

Same here, there’s no point lying awake at night worrying about it but I do take it seriously.

Before retirement I travelled extensively. I had (still have in fact) my little yellow book in which were recorded all the vaccinations I was OBLIGED to have to travel in to many countries. I also took anti-malarials too. All precautions to preserve me and others from deadly illnesses. I was happy to do so.

Personally the only difference with the Covid risk is the mask that I always wear when necessary. I would prefer not to but, understanding what I believe to be facts, I do.

Is, as some here seem to believe, Big Brother controlling me? Really?

Big Brother controlling us?
Controlling our thoughts and reasoning?
We have qualified medics telling us that mask wearing, keeping apart, avoiding crowds is good.
We have businesses telling us “Hey, get out there and spend money”.
We have in the UK among the slackest Covid restrictions, and among the highest death rates in Europe.
Do we need anyone to explain to us what that means?
Now when I hear someone saying "Its all hype etc", I do wonder about someone being overly influenced, but in this case Big Brother isnt a self serving political or military entity, although politicos are involved:

Big Brother is Big Business,
using Big Boris as it`s Big Blabbermouth.

My money is on lockdown numero four before Christmas, for the dystopian novel by Orwell which is a brilliant read , what he wrote years ago in some shape and form as become true such as how quickly China got their citizens to instantly comply by using facial recognition cameras everywhere and Israel have some latest high tech to check their residents if they are complying with regulations.
It’s back to face masks tomorrow by law in Blighty .

I wonder if mask wearing will make next years other viruses much worse :question:

There is a horrible respiratory virus that has always been around but more prevalent this time around as school children weren’t exposed enough on lock downs to increase their immunity levels for ear and throat infections so they now get a respiratory illness with a deep rumbling cough .I can’t remember it’s proper name so think it is something like RS or whatever.
I boil water then put my mask in a bowl with boiled water with laundry detergent to get kill the phlegm , spit bacteria, and remove food particles embedded in to the cloth

Sky Captain:
There is a horrible respiratory virus that has always been around but more prevalent this time around as school children weren’t exposed enough on lock downs to increase their immunity levels for ear and throat infections so they now get a respiratory illness with a deep rumbling cough .I can’t remember it’s proper name so think it is something like RS or whatever.
I boil water then put my mask in a bowl with boiled water with laundry detergent to get kill the phlegm , spit bacteria, and remove food particles embedded in to the cloth

Would it not be easier, perhaps safer, to simply use a new mask?

ROG:
As we are all likely to get covid at some point then it being more contagious simply means more get it earlier
Surely what matters is the severity :question:

Maybe - but the thing is with it being a new virus what if it has some effect years down the line.

Franglais:
Here is link to the WHO where this variant is described
who.int/news/item/26-11-202 … (b.1.1.529-sars-cov-2-variant-of-concern

Due respect to those on the front line, but more info is available than they will have in the field.

Note the definition of Variant Of Concern at the end.
It isn`t just whether a variant is more dangerous, but also if it is more contagious.

If more contagious, then clearly more will be affected, so
More overall cases means more in hospital (even if it`s no more dangerous)
and
More cases means more chance of mutations, so even greater risk of more mutations going forward.

Better to be cautious and introduce slightly more controls now, early on, than discover it is worse than expected when it is further spread and multiplied. It would then need far more serious measures. (A stitch in time.)

Perfect sense.

Where does it end though?

This is never going to go away. So are these preventive measures are to be with us forever? Covid will continue to mutate forever and a day. No stopping it. Kicking the can up the road is great to a point. But you wont ultimately stop it. And what about the next variation? And the next? And the hundreds perhaps thousands more mutations of concern that will occur over the next 100 years?

Hiding from it isn’t feasilble unfortunately.
We just need to live with it now - even if that means die with it.

I’m still waiting for rconcern over cancer deaths (still around 500 people per day) to make the news…[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

This is never going to go away. So are these preventive measures are to be with us forever? Covid will continue to mutate forever and a day. No stopping it. Kicking the can up the road is great to a point. But you wont ultimately stop it. And what about the next variation? And the next? And the hundreds perhaps thousands more mutations of concern that will occur over the next 100 years?

I’m still waiting for rconcern over cancer deaths (still around 500 people per day) to make the news…[emoji848]

At the moment there doesn`t seem need for a lockdown, so it ends before there.

Agreed it isn`t going away anytime soon. If ever.
So yes we live with it.
Just as we live with the fact that tobacco causes cancer. We encourage people not to smoke nor chew it, and outlaw them smoking in closed public places.
Some old dinosaurs still deny what is now generally accepted as normal behaviour, but most of us do see the sense.

No concern over cancer deaths?
I would respond, but my profanity filter is under strain at the moment.

Truckulent wrote

“Hiding from it isn’t feasilble unfortunately.
We just need to live with it now - even if that means die with it.”

After you…

I would much rather deal with this in a quasi-military manner. Learn about your enemy and go in with good preparations, suitable defence measures for the troops and in a united front. Death is usually failure.

Franglais:

Truckulent:

At the moment there doesn`t seem need for a lockdown, so it ends before there.

Agreed it isn`t going away anytime soon. If ever.
So yes we live with it.
Just as we live with the fact that tobacco causes cancer. We encourage people not to smoke nor chew it, and outlaw them smoking in closed public places.
Some old dinosaurs still deny what is now generally accepted as normal behaviour, but most of us do see the sense.

No concern over cancer deaths?
I would respond, but my profanity filter is under strain at the moment.

Death isn’t a failure. It’s an inevitability.

The chances of surviving Covid are much higher than many other diseases that don’t get a mention. Diabetes for one. Cancer another.

It comes to us all I’m afraid.

Dipster:
Truckulent wrote

After you…

I would much rather deal with this in a quasi-military manner. Learn about your enemy and go in with good preparations, suitable defence measures for the troops and in a united front. Death is usually failure.

Truckulent,

In a military environment it should not be an inevitability, anythiing but. I agree in life it ultimately is but with good precautions (exercise and healthy diet) and suitable defence measures (not smoking for instance) it may be prolonged. But surely you had understood that.

Dipster:

Dipster:
Truckulent wrote

After you…

Truckulent,

In a military environment it should not be an inevitability, anythiing but. I agree in life it ultimately is but with good precautions (exercise and healthy diet) and suitable defence measures (not smoking for instance) it may be prolonged. But surely you had understood that.

But we aren’t in a military environment.

I agree to a point. But currently we’re trying to run away from an enemy that is faster than we are…

Truckulent:

Dipster:

Dipster:
Truckulent wrote

After you…

Truckulent,

I agree to a point. But currently we’re trying to run away from an enemy that is faster than we are…

We are learning about our enemy daily…

Truckulent:

Dipster:

Dipster:
Truckulent wrote

After you…

Truckulent,

Its not been faster than me so far and presumably social distance and masks make it much more of an equal fight.

If something nasty is running after me, I don’t think it’s a good idea to stop running.