Mobility Scheme and car insurance

I’ll try keep it simple.

My dad is now on the mobility scheme meaning he can apply for some car finance that covers his tax, insurance, servicing costs and basically everything.
But he also has like 15 years NCB that he is not using.
So I am thinking if I get him to insure a car and put me as the named driver and also the main driver of the car with his NCB I would get a pretty cheap deal on my insurance.

Is this fine? I know usually the named driver is not usually the main driver as well but it is an option on compare websites.

Sorry if its a stupid question.

Adam.
** Also sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes Grumpy_old_trucker I honestly dont care enough to check.

Its called Fronting and is illegal, your insurance could be cancelled and your father done for insurance fraud.

Motability lease your dad a car which is taxed and insured for 3 years, they cover tyres, maintenance and servicing, in exchange for the Higher Mobility allowance.

How is it fronting?
The insurance will be in his name but I will be listed as a named driver and the main driver of the car.

adam277:
How is it fronting?
The insurance will be in his name but I will be listed as a named driver and the main driver of the car.

Insuring high-risk drivers, for example a younger driver who has just passed their test, can be more costly than insuring an experienced motorist. Fronting occurs when a more experienced driver takes a policy out in their name and cites the riskier motorist as a named driver, when in fact the less experienced driver is the person who will be using the vehicle the most. Doing so can bring the price of the insurance down, but could declare it void in the event of a claim.

Many people who ‘front’ do not know it is illegal, and instead think they are being savvy with their insurance. But if the young driver is the owner or keeper of the car, then the policy should be in their name. At the very least, they should be declared as the main driver.

Pretty much that ^^^ insurance companies aren’t mugs, they’re completely savvy to every wide boy trying it on and once it goes breasts north they’ll legitimately not pay out.

My advice; ■■■■ it up buttercup and pay the premium for peace of mind if nothing else.

Just ask your insurer - they’ll tell you whether what you are considering doing is allowed or not.

Personally I’d say with 90% certainty that it would indeed be regarded as “fronting” and that if they found out (eg if you needed to make a significant claim on the policy and loss adjusters got involved) the policyholder could be in trouble - with potential consequences including withdrawal of cover and (as he would then be uninsurable on standard terms) loss of his Motability car as well.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Do I need to be the policyholder to be the main driver?

The main driver (or vehicle policyholder) is the person who drives the vehicle most often and earns no claims discount.

They do not need to be the principle policyholder but they must live at the same address as them.

aviva.co.uk/faq/answer/motor/3080/

So, as long as I am down as the main driver on the policy. My dad can be the policyholder with me as main driver?

It’s fronting. Simple as.

Also 15 years NCB not being used gets cancelled after 2 years without a policy in place.

adam277:

Do I need to be the policyholder to be the main driver?

The main driver (or vehicle policyholder) is the person who drives the vehicle most often and earns no claims discount.

They do not need to be the principle policyholder but they must live at the same address as them.

aviva.co.uk/faq/answer/motor/3080/

So, as long as I am down as the main driver on the policy. My dad can be the policyholder with me as main driver?

As I said earlier - just ask your insurer. Tell them what you want to do and ask them if that’s OK. There are consequences if you get motor insurance wrong, some of which will make saving a few hundred quid on premiums look like a very poor deal indeed.

DCPCFML:

Also 15 years NCB not being used gets cancelled after 2 years without a policy in place.

How is it fronting when I am on the policy as the MAIN driver.
I phoned up an insurance company and they said its not xD.

Fronting is when a driver tells their insurer that they are the main driver of a car when they are not.

Might just make myself the policy holder just for peace of mind.

adam277:

DCPCFML:

How is it fronting when I am on the policy as the MAIN driver.

That’s EXACTLY what fronting is! You are not the policy holder but you are the main driver = fronting.

adam277:
Might just make myself the policy holder just for peace of mind.

Try it and then come back and let us know how it pans out for you when you tell the mobility company that the insurance is to be in your name and you will be the main driver. I could do with a laugh.

And on any mobility policy is it only to be used for the mobility persons benefits and not you to drive yourself here, there and everywhere for your own purposes.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I think there is some misunderstanding here - the OP is not suggesting that his Dad gets a Motability car for the OP to use. The idea appears to be that his Dad gets his Motability car to do with as he wishes, but uses his existing NCB to get a good deal on insurance for another car which the OP will own/use, the OP being named as “main driver” on this car.

DCPCFML:
That’s EXACTLY what fronting is! You are not the policy holder but you are the main driver = fronting.

No fronting is when you are the named driver and are not put down as the main driver when you ARE.
Its all academic now as I just put the insurance in my name with my dad as the named driver.

Go try a comparison site. They ask who will be the MAIN DRIVER. you can choose either the policy holder or the named driver. Why would they give that option if it was illegal??

If you have all the answers already, why [zb] ask and waste bandwidth with pointless threads? :unamused:

Car insurance is remarkably cheap at present, seems the ideal time to get your own NCD built up, its how everyone else does it.
What am i not getting here, sooner or later you’ll have to build up your own insurance record anway, so a no brainer to do so whilst the policies are cheap.

Juddian:
Car insurance is remarkably cheap at present, seems the ideal time to get your own NCD built up, its how everyone else does it.
What am i not getting here, sooner or later you’ll have to build up your own insurance record anway, so a no brainer to do so whilst the policies are cheap.

To be fair, most insurers will admit evidence of being a named driver on another policy - although this is usually to establish “experience” rather than actual NCD.

DCPCFML:
If you have all the answers already, why [zb] ask and waste bandwidth with pointless threads? :unamused:

Because when I made the thread I did not know.
Also your answers were not helpful and factually incorrect going by information from what I have had from insurers and doing research. I just assumed this would be a good forum to ask this type of question.

Juddian:

Your right. I only have motorbike NCB though and every car insurer I speak doesnt want to count it :stuck_out_tongue:.

Roymondo:
I think there is some misunderstanding here - the OP is not suggesting that his Dad gets a Motability car for the OP to use. The idea appears to be that his Dad gets his Motability car to do with as he wishes, but uses his existing NCB to get a good deal on insurance for another car which the OP will own/use, the OP being named as “main driver” on this car.

Yep. That was the plan but in the end just made myself the policy holder. Something like £600 for the year on a Toyota Corolla. Not great considering the car cost 800 but ah well :stuck_out_tongue:.

Corolla eh, look after it mate, cockroaches and Toyotas of that era will be the very last things surviving reliably when the apocalypse reaches critical point.

Juddian:
Corolla eh, look after it mate, cockroaches and Toyotas of that era will be the very last things surviving reliably when the apocalypse reaches critical point.

Well it’s a 2000 so like 20 years old now. Seems very solid though. Not much to go wrong with it and only 100k miles.