Mobility Scheme and car insurance

My ex wife was declared as main driver on my insurance for 20 years.
Used several insurers and they were all fine with it.
Spouse may be different…?

adam277:

Juddian:
Corolla eh, look after it mate, cockroaches and Toyotas of that era will be the very last things surviving reliably when the apocalypse reaches critical point.

Well it’s a 2000 so like 20 years old now. Seems very solid though. Not much to go wrong with it and only 100k miles.

Suggest get under it and paint/spray the undersides in something like chain lube £15 will get you a 5 litre can, if you service it now and again chances are mechanically it will last another 20 years and 100k but 20 years of the overuse of salt as is the way here will have taken its toll on the undercarriage.

As an aside to this, adding another family member as a driver does make a huge difference, both myself and my wife are named on the kids policies, but they are the main named drivers, the cars are in their names but the chance of us driving them is very rare, mainly because every time we do, the fuel light is flashing and the bank of mum and dad is fleeced yet again. :stuck_out_tongue:

The youngest is a teacher and they seem to add a premium to her policy because of the occupation, but with me as a named driver the premium dropped £200

Juddian:

adam277:

Juddian:
Corolla eh, look after it mate, cockroaches and Toyotas of that era will be the very last things surviving reliably when the apocalypse reaches critical point.

Well it’s a 2000 so like 20 years old now. Seems very solid though. Not much to go wrong with it and only 100k miles.

Suggest get under it and paint/spray the undersides in something like chain lube £15 will get you a 5 litre can, if you service it now and again chances are mechanically it will last another 20 years and 100k but 20 years of the overuse of salt as is the way here will have taken its toll on the undercarriage.

Thanks for the tip will do. The paint starting to fade a bit but underside is good so will do that to keep it good.
What I really like about it is how accessible the engine bay is.

Lot easier to get stuff changed compared to more modern cars I have had that is covered in layers of plastic with everything buried deep in the engine.

All Red cars fade

Red Car.jpg

Wheel Nut:
As an aside to this, adding another family member as a driver does make a huge difference, both myself and my wife are named on the kids policies, but they are the main named drivers, the cars are in their names but the chance of us driving them is very rare, mainly because every time we do, the fuel light is flashing and the bank of mum and dad is fleeced yet again. :stuck_out_tongue:

The youngest is a teacher and they seem to add a premium to her policy because of the occupation, but with me as a named driver the premium dropped £200

I save quite a few quid on my own car insurance every year by having Mrs Roymondo as a named driver on my policy. This despite the fact that she cannot legally drive my car as her licence was downgraded to auto-only several years ago. My impoverished middle son has done the same on his policy - he lives 140 miles away and we only see him a few times a year (none at all in the past 18 months) so the chances of her driving his car (even if her licence covered her) are pretty much zero.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ^ my Missus is named on mine too which reduced the premium and she also can’t drive mine! However that’s purely because the electric seat adjuster has stopped working, I CBA to fix it and she’s got short legs!

A good T Cutting and a coat of wax will do wonders for the paint if the sun hasn’t burned down to the primer.

Ask me how i know this? once washed my then red Volvo 245 at work with the lorry pressure washer and general pupose TFR (never made that mistake again :wink: ), when it dried it was matt all over, but an hour with T Cut restored it.

T-Cut and similar abrasives won’t make any difference to a red car whose paintwork has faded due to UV exposure (other than making the surface nice and shiny). The issue isn’t surface erosion - the pigments in the paint have actually faded. Several years ago I had a red Renault 5 which had to have some bodywork repairs after some bint in a Chelsea Tractor reversed into it. The bodyshop couldn’t match the 8 year old paint colour as it had faded - despite expert application of top quality cutting compound. The only fix would have been a full respray (which I would have to pay for due to “betterment”).

I decided never to buy another red car.

Then I bought my current MX-5 and yes - it’s a red one!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

A professional detailer will bring slightly faded red paint back to full colour and shine for £100-150. If it’s really faded to pink then £250-300 for a paint restoration detail will do same. No need to get it resprayed.

Brother before he died had a mobility car , Volkswagen touran , I was on his insurance so would drive out to Rutland water , nice lake type place at Peterborough ( forget name ) just to get him out a bit , enjoyed those days & the touran made the getting him in / out the car into his wheelchair much easier ,