World at 1 pm Radio 4 today

Mazzer2:
The main problem that the EU has with either reforms or criticism is that it is and has been an ideological dream form the 50’s and the problem with people who become transfixed on ideology is that they believe their way is right even when all the evidence is showing that maybe they aren’t. Couple that with people getting into positions of power that they should never be in (Claude Juncker being a prime example another being Neil Kinnock failed British politician yet promoted to a high level in the EU) and problems will never be solved.

I repeat , you’re right in pointing to these problems.
But don’t we also have corruption and incompetence in other forms of Government too?
Housing allowances with MPs profiteering? Family members as “research assistants”?

So instead of one bunch of barstewards we get a different lot.

I don’t see that leaving will make any real difference to the quality of fool making laws or administering them!

Just extra barriers in the way of trade when we are already struggling to export as much as we import! Why make a difficult job harder?

The stuff about Bold New Horizons and New markets is really stirring stuff. Great rhetoric. But so far as I can see it’s wishful thinking and dreams. I want to believe Brexit will be good. I’ve seen NO real plans for anything realistic yet.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Mazzer2:
The main problem that the EU has with either reforms or criticism is that it is and has been an ideological dream form the 50’s and the problem with people who become transfixed on ideology is that they believe their way is right even when all the evidence is showing that maybe they aren’t. Couple that with people getting into positions of power that they should never be in (Claude Juncker being a prime example another being Neil Kinnock failed British politician yet promoted to a high level in the EU) and problems will never be solved.

I repeat , you’re right in pointing to these problems.
But don’t we also have corruption and incompetence in other forms of Government too?
Housing allowances with MPs profiteering? Family members as “research assistants”?

So instead of one bunch of barstewards we get a different lot.

I don’t see that leaving will make any real difference to the quality of fool making laws or administering them!

Just extra barriers in the way of trade when we are already struggling to export as much as we import! Why make a difficult job harder?

The difference is that homegrown corrupt or incompetent politicians can be voted out Trump is a result of this, politicians taking the electorate for fools and then wondering why a maverick is suddenly in power, in recent history the EU has repeatedly made member countries vote again when the result wasn’t to their liking instead of looking as to why people voted as they did, action that makes them lookout of touch and arrogant.
The Eastern European countries are starting to question the status quo and will not be bullied, yet again German guilt will ensure that they are not badly treated.
I agree that trade will become more difficult and that the promised utopia does not exist but the EU is not necessarily the answer

Harry Monk:
As the overwhelming majority of vehicles on the Dover-Calais route are non-UK registered, and as we import more from the eu than we export to it, I’d suggest that putting obstacles in the way of cross-Channel trade would be more harmful to remaining eu members than to us.

I’d say that the UK’s declining share of international traffic has little to do with the EU, and a lot to do with the last Labour Government’s determination to kill of the British road transport industry (Labour spin doctor Damien McBride explains the plan in his book Power Trip…there’s a chapter called A Trucking Mess).

While Continental hauliers will undoubtedly suffer more than British hauliers initially from all the inevitable extra delays, the inevitable result is that the British economy will become increasingly cut-off.

I’ve been to the parts warehouses for both Mercedes and Volvo Trucks…they each have a steady stream of trucks coming in from mainland Europe bearing parts needed by British dealers and hauliers to keep British trucks on the road.

Leaving the EU is going to see the cost of those parts go up, and their availability decline. When I worked in farming in the 1970s, parts for European-made machines could take weeks to arrive. These days, I’m told by mates still in farming, they can be delivered to the farm gate overnight from mainland Europe. No doubt it’s the same for trucks.

Importing individual consignments of anything to the UK from outside the EU can be fraught. A few years ago I went on holiday to Morocco on a motorbike. While I was there I purchased a wonderful hand-made rug. I wasn’t going to carry that around on a dirt bike, so the seller packaged it up for me and it was posted to the UK with all the customs declarations etc made.

It took a couple of months to arrive. For most of that time it had been detained by UK Customs, who were too busy to open the package and search it. Eventually, I got a card from the Post Office, saying I could go and pick it up. Not only did I have to pay import duty (which I expected), but I was also charged a storage fee and a search fee by Customs. That’s a small taste of what will happen to both our imports and exports after a ‘no deal’ Brexit…which is what Rees-Mogg and his buddies are clamouring for.

NB: I’ve just made an hilarious discovery. You can buy a ‘Farage’ toilet brush from Ikea! :smiley:
Ideal for poking turds around the bend!
Coming soon. The Boris kitchen waste bin!

Yet the EU expects the UK to lay it’s hand on the table for all to see as you say the double standards are staggering, neither side has gone about this with any dignity and as a result both sides will suffer and the people who will suffer most are the working class of the UK and Europe but politicians of all persuasions have long ago lost interest in them and then looked bewildered at the rise of extremists.

I’d politely disagree that there are double-standards here. The UK decided to leave the EU, the EU is entitled to ask the UK therefore what kind of relationship it wishes to have after it has departed. The Brexit question merely asked if we wished to leave the European Union, it didn’t address the Customs Union, which has members that are outside the EU. The UK side has yet to come up with a coherent reply. May’s Chequers Deal was an attempt to establish a Uk negotiation position, but this was trashed by her own party in a matter of days.

The Conservatives (particularly the Brexit faction) have made the UK look like the village idiot of Europe. My prediction is that a no-deal Brexit will see the end of the United Kingdom. Ulster will become part of the Irish Republic and Scotland will seek independence and apply to join the EU.

Franglais:
I daresay these terms are part of those negotiations. Do you really expect any party in talks to give away a right, such as free movement of vehicles, as a gift?

You’re avin a larf.Why should we expect any less free movement of Brit vehicles in Europe than Iran or Russia has ?.Feel free to show us exactly which ‘bilateral trade agreements’ are or ever were required for such movements. :unamused:

Great the EU denies us use of EU roads we stop all EU destined/origin shipping running along ‘our’ side of the Channel and the Straits of Gibralter and the North Sea and might as well also stop imports of EU goods with immediate effect.While it’s clear that the EU sees secession of any state as an effective war situation now let alone in 20 years time.Why would we want to subject future generations of Brits to that rather than nipping it in the bud now.

GasGas:

Harry Monk:
As the overwhelming majority of vehicles on the Dover-Calais route are non-UK registered, and as we import more from the eu than we export to it, I’d suggest that putting obstacles in the way of cross-Channel trade would be more harmful to remaining eu members than to us.

I’d say that the UK’s declining share of international traffic has little to do with the EU, and a lot to do with the last Labour Government’s determination to kill of the British road transport industry (Labour spin doctor Damien McBride explains the plan in his book Power Trip…there’s a chapter called A Trucking Mess).

While Continental hauliers will undoubtedly suffer more than British hauliers initially from all the inevitable extra delays, the inevitable result is that the British economy will become increasingly cut-off.

I’ve been to the parts warehouses for both Mercedes and Volvo Trucks…they each have a steady stream of trucks coming in from mainland Europe bearing parts needed by British dealers and hauliers to keep British trucks on the road.

Leaving the EU is going to see the cost of those parts go up, and their availability decline. When I worked in farming in the 1970s, parts for European-made machines could take weeks to arrive. These days, I’m told by mates still in farming, they can be delivered to the farm gate overnight from mainland Europe. No doubt it’s the same for trucks.

Importing individual consignments of anything to the UK from outside the EU can be fraught. A few years ago I went on holiday to Morocco on a motorbike. While I was there I purchased a wonderful hand-made rug. I wasn’t going to carry that around on a dirt bike, so the seller packaged it up for me and it was posted to the UK with all the customs declarations etc made.

It took a couple of months to arrive. For most of that time it had been detained by UK Customs, who were too busy to open the package and search it. Eventually, I got a card from the Post Office, saying I could go and pick it up. Not only did I have to pay import duty (which I expected), but I was also charged a storage fee and a search fee by Customs. That’s a small taste of what will happen to both our imports and exports after a ‘no deal’ Brexit…which is what Rees-Mogg and his buddies are clamouring for.

NB: I’ve just made an hilarious discovery. You can buy a ‘Farage’ toilet brush from Ikea! :smiley:

It’s so much better to go on being dependent on EU imports and paying for the privilege and suffering the resulting austerity to pay for the resulting trade deficit and ongoing ever increasing contributions.All paid for with borrowed money because an economy based on flogging hamburgers to office and warehouse workers isn’t actually earning anything.By that logic we might as well have let Hitler take the zb place in 1940.Remind us what EU imported zb we used to save Europe from that 4th Reich just as in the case of that other French comedian Napoleon.Only to now give the country away to another version. :unamused:

Carryfast:
It’s so much better to go on being dependent on EU imports

In any area of life, is dependency ever ultimately a good thing?

Well, UK exports to the EU make up 13 % of the UK’s economic output. The rest of the EU’s exports to the UK make up about 3 % of the rest of the EU’s economic output.

We’ll feel more impact from a ‘no deal’ than they will.

Rearange the following words to make a well-known phrase

Cutting nose our off face to spite our

Carryfast:

Franglais:
I daresay these terms are part of those negotiations. Do you really expect any party in talks to give away a right, such as free movement of vehicles, as a gift?

You’re avin a larf.Why should we expect any less free movement of Brit vehicles in Europe than Iran or Russia has ?.Feel free to show us exactly which ‘bilateral trade agreements’ are or ever were required for such movements. :unamused:

Great the EU denies us use of EU roads we stop all EU destined/origin shipping running along ‘our’ side of the Channel and the Straits of Gibralter and the North Sea and might as well also stop imports of EU goods with immediate effect.While it’s clear that the EU sees secession of any state as an effective war situation now let alone in 20 years time.Why would we want to subject future generations of Brits to that rather than nipping it in the bud now.

Oh dear.

The international movements of road freight are covered by the Convention on International Transport of Goods Under Cover of TIR Carnets (1975).

The UK is not a signatory to this Convention, but the EU is, and that is where our allocation of TIR Carnets comes from. When we leave the EU, our allocation of TIR Carnets will revert to the remaining EU nations, unless we can negotiate for their retention.

So, with a no deal Brexit we will be in a worse position than Iran. Perhaps we can ask the Indians if we can have the tooling for the Morris Oxford back?

British cars for British people, along with new blue British passports (printed in France and stuck in customs) and some Chinese-made Union Jacks. There’s so much to look forward to.

Still at least a British company might get the contract to print our ration coupons.

Carryfast:

GasGas:

Harry Monk:

It’s so much better to go on being dependent on EU imports and paying for the privilege and suffering the resulting austerity to pay for the resulting trade deficit and ongoing ever increasing contributions.All paid for with borrowed money because an economy based on flogging hamburgers to office and warehouse workers isn’t actually earning anything.By that logic we might as well have let Hitler take the zb place in 1940.Remind us what EU imported zb we used to save Europe from that 4th Reich just as in the case of that other French comedian Napoleon.Only to now give the country away to another version. :unamused:

Q. Why are we net importers?

A. Because Brussels says we must be.
B. It’s a conspiracy funded by the Germans.
C. Years of mismanagement and profit taking by our very own UK governments and company owners.
D. Napoleon is still alive and is planning a world takeover.

Sorry. Only one answer allowed.
You can’t choose A, B, and D.[emoji54]

Carryfast:
No it promises a typically selectively chosen biased view from the point of view of remainers for the consumption of remainers.From a media outlet which is hopelessly biased in favour of their agenda.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You tell 'em, Carryfast! :stuck_out_tongue:

ezydriver:
The government will declare lorry driving on the ‘skills shortage’ list, and simply grant visas to import drivers from the actual third world. Bleak times ahead.

What are we going to do when Turkish immigrant Khamin Meimauf - turns up at your yard saying:

“May the blessings of Allah be upon you this fine day. Now, Where would effendi like me to deliver these exploseeves?” :unamused: :unamused:

A “No deal Brexit” means we get to re-source our stuff more cheaply from elsewhere. It also means our civil service have got their work cut out, re-organizing all that.

A “No deal Brexit” means the EU can no longer sell their stuff in the UK. The “Food Mountains” will return, Holland will be the first EU remaining nation to be crushed by us leaving, and the ECB will probably panic, and over-react…

Imagine what would happen if they tried one last ditch attempt to “bring down Britain”, by say, selling the Pound Sterling heavily short on the foreign exchange market (still based in London!) and buying up their own about-to-fail Euros with the proceeds?

What we would then have is something like a Parity EU/£ exchange rate, at which point a sudden removal of Mark Carney at the Bank of England, and replaced with a Hard Brexiteer…

That person then conducts an orderly disposal of the massive Eurocurrency reserves that our Bank of England have been obliged to stockpile over the past 18 years in particular.

We’d of course be selling all those euros - right at the top of the market, and buying the recently cheapened pounds with them.

Not only would this underpin Sterling, and prevent it from dropping much - when the smoke clears, you’d then have a situation similar to Lehman Brothers a decade ago where
the ECB end up owning all of their own currency - just as it goes ■■■■ up!
(Lehmans were buying up more of their own mortgage backed securities - to underpin the prices of these derivative bonds) Everyone else and his dog in the meantime, took advantage to make sure that Lehmans were holding all the crappy worthless paper, and breathed a sigh of relief that they got away with their own financial mis-management so cheaply!)

One of the ECB’s largest contributing Banks - Deutsche Bank - is already in dire straights, even as the “information regulators” try to keep it under their hat “just how bad it really is”…

Just imagine what dividend would be realized from selling the Bank of England’s stockpile of Euros, possibly as many as 1.8TRILLION worth at current exchange rates… (stockpile built up at the rate of approx 2bn Euros per week since 2000, when the Euro went live)
It takes less than sixty seconds to buy that many Euros on the London Forex btw. (The busiest and deepest liquidity time range on the London Forex is 13:20hrs-16:30hrs)

Bugger the “Brexit Dividend”. We’re talking SERIOUS money there! :open_mouth:

Winseer:

ezydriver:
The government will declare lorry driving on the ‘skills shortage’ list, and simply grant visas to import drivers from the actual third world. Bleak times ahead.

What are we going to do when Turkish immigrant Khamin Meimauf - turns up at your yard saying:

“May the blessings of Allah be upon you this fine day. Now, Where would effendi like me to deliver these exploseeves?” :unamused: :unamused:

He’ll fill us with delight, I’m sure!

Wait till Italy blows up, you won’t be able to find a remain voter within 160.934 kilometres.

biggriffin:

ezydriver:

You mean the colonies, ol’ boy… And that will keep wages low, meaning the supermarket’s won’t have to put prices up, therefore keeping the RPI low, which in turn reduces inflation. Again we’re keeping the country going…
3 cheers for the humble truck driver. :wink:

And bridge builders

Winseer:
A “No deal Brexit” means we get to re-source our stuff more cheaply from elsewhere. It also means our civil service have got their work cut out, re-organizing all that.

A “No deal Brexit” means the EU can no longer sell their stuff in the UK. The “Food Mountains” will return, Holland will be the first EU remaining nation to be crushed by us leaving, and the ECB will probably panic, and over-react…

Imagine what would happen if they tried one last ditch attempt to “bring down Britain”, by say, selling the Pound Sterling heavily short on the foreign exchange market (still based in London!) and buying up their own about-to-fail Euros with the proceeds?

What we would then have is something like a Parity EU/£ exchange rate, at which point a sudden removal of Mark Carney at the Bank of England, and replaced with a Hard Brexiteer…

That person then conducts an orderly disposal of the massive Eurocurrency reserves that our Bank of England have been obliged to stockpile over the past 18 years in particular.

We’d of course be selling all those euros - right at the top of the market, and buying the recently cheapened pounds with them.

Not only would this underpin Sterling, and prevent it from dropping much - when the smoke clears, you’d then have a situation similar to Lehman Brothers a decade ago where
(Lehmans were buying up more of their own mortgage backed securities - to underpin the prices of these derivative bonds) Everyone else and his dog in the meantime, took advantage to make sure that Lehmans were holding all the crappy worthless paper, and breathed a sigh of relief that they got away with their own financial mis-management so cheaply!)

One of the ECB’s largest contributing Banks - Deutsche Bank - is already in dire straights, even as the “information regulators” try to keep it under their hat “just how bad it really is”…

Just imagine what dividend would be realized from selling the Bank of England’s stockpile of Euros, possibly as many as 1.8TRILLION worth at current exchange rates… (stockpile built up at the rate of approx 2bn Euros per week since 2000, when the Euro went live)
It takes less than sixty seconds to buy that many Euros on the London Forex btw. (The busiest and deepest liquidity time range on the London Forex is 13:20hrs-16:30hrs)

Wow!

Look, the plan’s working already

express.co.uk/travel/articl … t-eurozone

We’ve blindsided the dastardly foreigners.

Hooray for Brexit!

GasGas:

Winseer:

Wow!

Hooray for Brexit!

Some saw that fall in the pound coming didn’t they?
I do believe Somerset Asset Etc. advised investors to buy in their newly expanded Dublin (euro zone) portfolios in July? I’m sure any directors of said company would have declared any interest in such affairs, so far as is required by law.

Yes, it’s all working well for the Brexiters…

GasGas:

Winseer:

Wow!

Hooray for Brexit!

A Norway style Brexit? Sounds interesting.
Get rid of sixty million of our poulation, find an oil reserve worth approximately twice what we currently have and we could be as successful as them!

Easy…