Working hours /rest on nights out

Carryfast:

remy:

Carryfast:
How would he compensate for not enough miles in the job by just turning the extra daily rest into POA ( waiting time ) instead.The truck is going no where either way.
It’s not earning anything because the customer isn’t paying.
That applies the same whether you want to call it hourly pay or mileage.
The guvnor isn’t going to pay for all those wasted unpaid hours when they can be part of the daily rest period in this case the difference between a normal daily rest period v a reduced one.He just aint going to pay a driver for needlessly turning daily rest into POA when the guvnor doesn’t need it to be.

Yes, I can see that we operate differently.

What would change in this case if it was mileage based pay.Starting earlier won’t add any more miles to the job.Which just leaves the same scam of turning daily rest into waiting time which neither the customer nor therefore the guvnor is going to pay for.The delivery point opens at 8am who is going to pay for the truck to be sitting waiting there from 4am.

I’m just going to relate my own experience with the last firm I worked for. On receiving the info on his next pick up for next day the driver would call his office and say I’ll be there at 5am do you have anything earlier ? If they say no we’re keeping you on this then when he get’s there at 5am he starts wait time. We got paid a certain amount for the backhaul but if it took more than 45 mins we got paid by the hour after that so by arriving at 5am he got paid 2 1/4 hrs till 8am then it continues till he leaves as well as being paid the backhaul. I should add this was mostly own account work with backhauls going back to our warehouse, there was a time when the managers had us doing trucking for a third party and it was a disaster.

Whenever I was asked to take an extended daily rest,I always negotiated the hours they were paying.
An extra hour or 3…for me,is far cheaper than bringing the truck back empty.

Not staying out all week for day man money.

As Mr Taylor used to say

“You ■■■■■ will book 13 hours…whether you’ve got 2 drops or 10,so I’ll make sure you’ve got 10”

:wink: :laughing:

Carryfast:

remy:

Carryfast:
How would he compensate for not enough miles in the job by just turning the extra daily rest into POA ( waiting time ) instead.The truck is going no where either way.
It’s not earning anything because the customer isn’t paying.
That applies the same whether you want to call it hourly pay or mileage.
The guvnor isn’t going to pay for all those wasted unpaid hours when they can be part of the daily rest period in this case the difference between a normal daily rest period v a reduced one.He just aint going to pay a driver for needlessly turning daily rest into POA when the guvnor doesn’t need it to be.

Yes, I can see that we operate differently.

What would change in this case if it was mileage based pay.Starting earlier won’t add any more miles to the job.Which just leaves the same scam of turning daily rest into waiting time which neither the customer nor therefore the guvnor is going to pay for.The delivery point opens at 8am who is going to pay for the truck to be sitting waiting there from 4am.

What would change in this case would be the drivers mind set. If he was on mileage based he would be losing doing what he’s doing as he’s losing available working hours to drive. I have worked on both % and mileage systems in the past and it does change the way you think about your start times to maximise your earning potential.

remy:
Thanks to the dumbing down of America our hours of service regs are much simpler. When you start your day you can drive 11 hrs but it has to be done within 14 hrs from the start time and a minimum of 10 hrs rest each night. After 70 hrs you have to have at least 34 hrs off then you can hammer down for another 70 :sunglasses:

Just came…

Across the term (whilst watching another US truck driver vlog) ‘off duty movement’, wassat all about please?

yourhavingalarf:

remy:
Thanks to the dumbing down of America our hours of service regs are much simpler. When you start your day you can drive 11 hrs but it has to be done within 14 hrs from the start time and a minimum of 10 hrs rest each night. After 70 hrs you have to have at least 34 hrs off then you can hammer down for another 70 :sunglasses:

Just came…

Across the term (whilst watching another US truck driver vlog) ‘off duty movement’, wassat all about please?

I only know how it pertains to artics. When your parked up for the night and go on break but you’ve ordered Chinese food from a restaurant a couple of miles away you can drop trailer then you can log driving off duty to go get it. You have to start the next day at the same place you started your break so you can’t drive off duty to another location and start the next day there.

remy:

yourhavingalarf:

remy:

Just came…

I only know how it pertains to artics. When your parked up for the night and go on break but you’ve ordered Chinese food from a restaurant a couple of miles away you can drop trailer then you can log driving off duty to go get it. You have to start the next day at the same place you started your break so you can’t drive off duty to another location and start the next day there.

Personal Transportation or Agricultural seems to cover “doing enough” for the guvnor.