Working hours /rest on nights out

Now wait just a cotton picking minute here, it appears I may have not read the OP correctly. I was under the impression that the driver did a night out then went to the pick up but if he went back to the yard that night then left the yard in the morning for the pick up then much to my chagrin I must change my vote in favour of the firm. :blush:

Harry Monk:

remy:
I don’t see it as greed, what if he got a stop off at 10am then next stop was an hour away but couldn’t unload till 2pm isn’t he entitled to get paid for the three hours waiting ?

He would. However in this scenario the driver appears to be starting work three hours earlier than necessary thus arriving at the collection point three hours before they open in order to get three hours’ extra pay.

Which on the face of it is taking the ■■■■. An hour or so tossed off in a lay-by once in a while pretty much goes with the territory but to do it every single day kicks the arse out of it a bit.

Thanks Mr Monk, I reread the OP and think I get it now. :blush:

Mazzer2:
To add this is the reason why drivers end up being micro managed because eejits like this don’t have the common sense to do the job properly and be left to get on with it.

He may think he’s one of those super “Proper Drivers” I keep reading about on here :laughing: if I was his boss I’d give him a can of lilt and a manky orange on Friday morning and the tell him there’s no steak dinner for him tonight

Need to add/clarify.

If he’s back at the yard work tell him what time to start the next day and he does. But when he has a night out he insists law says only need 9hrs rest after 9. Hrs I’m setting.off and want paying.
Must add also he’s only. Youngish maybe 30.
And yet another driver who does his walk around checks then sits in his truck waiting for 20 mins to pass.

edd1974:
Need to add/clarify.

If he’s back at the yard work tell him what time to start the next day and he does. But when he has a night out he insists law says only need 9hrs rest after 9. Hrs I’m setting.off and want paying.
And yet another driver who does his walk around checks then sits in his truck waiting for 20 mins to pass.

His actual age has little to do with it.
There are many youngsters (nearly everyone seems young to me now!) with a wide head on their shoulders.
Any many old ■■■■■ with a silly kid’s attitude to things.
Nowt wrong with being young at heart, by the way.

1. Slack incompetent Boss for not querying his reason for starting early when the hours could have been used at the end of the day.
  2. The blokes commonly called a ■■■■■■■■■

edd1974:
Need to add/clarify.

If he finishes work for the week at 1800 Friday, does he come back in at 1800 Saturday if he is permitted a reduced rest period? :stuck_out_tongue:

eagerbeaver:
Let me tell you my good friend who else is a winner…me. That’s right folks, the greatest TN member ever has popped back in for a metaphoric ■■■■ upon the wheel of debate.

YAY!..

The chosen one has graced us with his wisdom and knowledge. So whatever he say’s is correct and the thread might as well end now.

I feel educated, humble and much much wiser (as well as a touch of indigestion but that’s probably a result of too much chocolate trifle after lunch today).

Harry Monk:

edd1974:
Need to add/clarify.

If he finishes work for the week at 1800 Friday, does he come back in at 1800 Saturday if he is permitted a reduced rest period? :stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously he and everyone else would have to every alternate week if he wants to provide some credibility to his argument.Also refuse any job that stops 1 hour pay for a break when it only needs to be 45 minutes.

edd1974:
Need to add/clarify.

So I did read it right the first time dammit. He did have a night out so I’m going back to agreeing with him on being paid. What if he couldn’t pick up till 11am then he could have a really nice long lay in then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m thinking…

There is a very different set of rules for the USA and here when it comes to starting and stopping your clock.

remy:

edd1974:
Need to add/clarify.

So I did read it right the first time dammit. He did have a night out so I’m going back to agreeing with him on being paid. What if he couldn’t pick up till 11am then he could have a really nice long lay in then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but he will have a night out, say, 60 minutes drive from the collection or delivery point, knowing that they open at 0800. Normally you would start work around 0630, allow 15 minutes for the walkaround check, then leave and arrive at the premises at 0745. This driver seems to habitually start at 0400 on the basis that by then he has had a 9 hour rest period, which is the minimum legally required. There is of course nothing preventing him from taking a regular 11 hour rest period, or even 12 or 13 hours. As well as being unnecessary, he loses the chance if required to use this time at the end of the day.

This bloke has taken the ■■■■ for a while and got away with it, he has done it because he could and now been caught. I reckon he has feathered his nest and probably has paid for his caravan by now. :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
I’m thinking…

There is a very different set of rules for the USA and here when it comes to starting and stopping your clock.

Is there? Such as

Mazzer2:

edd1974:
Can someone settle an argument who’s right. Here. And I stress this isn’t me.
Basically we do occasionally nights out.
Some weeks none others 2 or 3.

Theres a colleuge where I work .
He does his drops for the day… rings office
Let’s say they tell.him.ok 8am pickup magna park.
So he will drive as close as possible to collection. Time permitting.

Have a night out.

Here’s the issue. He can be parked up say 7. Collection is 8am next day.
He insists on taking his 9 hours rest then starting again.
So he finishes at 7 stats at 4 am .arrives at collection at 5 for an 8 am collection and. Just parks and waits.
Been doing this for ages and been found.out.

His argument is on a night out you only need 9 hours rest.
Not my.problem if my pickup isn’t untill. 8 .
After 9 hours I’m moving and want.paying.work are saying no

Is he in his rights to have 9 hrs off then set off ?
If this makes sense.
Me personally I’d have a lie in if honest.
Who’s right here
Work or colleuge?

Why would you get up at 4 when there is no need? and then limit your time by wasting 3 hours waiting, any delays later in the day could result in running out of spreadover. Is he happy parking up on a Friday night having run out of spread which wouldn’t have happened if he’d have started at 7. Also if tramping why use your 9 hour breaks up needlessly always pays to keep one for Friday to ensure you get home that night and not Saturday morning having had to have an eleven hour break an hour from the yard, he sounds bit of an eejit to me.

Reading the OP they are sat for 3hrs waiting to load so he/she could then do 15hrs as a split break.

I’m sure we have a few at our place that do the exact same thing, sometimes the customer loads/unloads them and the office are happy as they can plan the driver another job, but other times the customer says “nah not til your time today driver” this time the office get peed off.

Personally at my age [emoji23][emoji23] I’m all for parking as close as possible to my next job but i now get out of bed just in time to visit the boys room and make a cuppa then crack on.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

edd1974:

yourhavingalarf:
I’m thinking…

Is there? Such as

I’m not really…

Sure. There doesn’t appear to be a spreadover as such. In the few ‘Truckin’ across the USA’ videos I’ve watched, no one seems to be in a hurry to start or end their day. It’s almost as if it’s just the hours driven that appear to count.

I’m sure someone from over the pond will correct my wild assumptions.

yourhavingalarf:

edd1974:

yourhavingalarf:
I’m thinking…

Is there? Such as

I’m not really…

Sure. There doesn’t appear to be a spreadover as such. In the few ‘Truckin’ across the USA’ videos I’ve watched, no one seems to be in a hurry to start or end their day. It’s almost as if it’s just the hours driven that appear to count.

I’m sure someone from over the pond will correct my wild assumptions.

Thanks to the dumbing down of America our hours of service regs are much simpler. When you start your day you can drive 11 hrs but it has to be done within 14 hrs from the start time and a minimum of 10 hrs rest each night. After 70 hrs you have to have at least 34 hrs off then you can hammer down for another 70 :sunglasses:

I don’t profess to know all the UK hrs regs but here where most firms pay by the mile and activity so the way the driver in the OP did it would be what a driver over here would do to get compensated for those 3 hrs. Of course that driver may be shooting himself in the foot if he could have used those 3 hrs better if he’d started later.

remy:
Thanks to the dumbing down of America our hours of service regs are much simpler. When you start your day you can drive 11 hrs but it has to be done within 14 hrs from the start time and a minimum of 10 hrs rest each night. After 70 hrs you have to have at least 34 hrs off then you can hammer down for another 70 :sunglasses:

I don’t profess to know all the UK hrs regs but here where most firms pay by the mile and activity so the way the driver in the OP did it would be what a driver over here would do to get compensated for those 3 hrs. Of course that driver may be shooting himself in the foot if he could have used those 3 hrs better if he’d started later.

How would he compensate for not enough miles in the job by just turning the extra daily rest into POA ( waiting time ) instead.The truck is going no where either way.
It’s not earning anything because the customer isn’t paying.
That applies the same whether you want to call it hourly pay or mileage.
The guvnor isn’t going to pay for all those wasted unpaid hours when they can be part of the daily rest period in this case the difference between a normal daily rest period v a reduced one.He just aint going to pay a driver for needlessly turning daily rest into POA when the guvnor doesn’t need it to be.

Carryfast:

remy:

How would he compensate for not enough miles in the job by just turning the extra daily rest into POA ( waiting time ) instead.The truck is going no where either way.
The guvnor isn’t going to pay for all those wasted unpaid hours when they can be part of the daily rest period in this case the difference between a normal daily rest period v a reduced one.He just aint going to pay a driver for needlessly turning daily rest into POA when the guvnor doesn’t need it to be.

Yes, I can see that we operate differently.

remy:

Carryfast:

Yes, I can see that we operate differently.

What would change in this case if it was mileage based pay.Starting earlier won’t add any more miles to the job.Which just leaves the same scam of turning daily rest into waiting time which neither the customer nor therefore the guvnor is going to pay for.The delivery point opens at 8am who is going to pay for the truck to be sitting waiting there from 4am.