Wincanton transport+ milk tankers

jimcab:
Bit before my time . . But a lovely looking beast !

This is the same picture straight from the negative. It was taken by Roger Kenney in the 1960s. The vehicle is ‘Chaffinch’.

Thanks retriever . . What a smashing photo . . And a nice bit of history.

2012-06-07 11.33.08.jpgSleeper cabbed B series(cobra) coupled up to a 4500 gallon milk tanker.

Just as a matter of interest I was listening to Radio 4 tonight, they had a big wig from Wincanton on, he said they operate 5,000 vehicles, not all their own, but customers vehicles also.

I think they run lots of contract vehicles . .And storage /warehousing . .Coming back to that word again “Logistics”

Some pictures of trucks i used on one of the Fuel contracts Wincanton still have.

Nice one ian . . I remember years ago they used to say ‘if it fits in a tank’ wincanton wil carry it. . Do u remember ELF petrol, they had that contract for a while. . Used to run out of Langley (slough)

2012-06-08 14.57.32.jpgGYC 511N. . ■■■■■■■ powered Guy, these units were the mainstay of the fleet in the 70’s . .i remember driving this one “Flyer”

fryingpan:
Which milk brands did Wincanton deal with? I recall Express Dairies, United Dairies, Jobs, Unigate, St Ivel. What were the runs, London, but where else? Chard Junction, Seaton Junction, Ilminster?

This takes me back, 25 years ago I was a fitter at Wincanton’s , Mayfield Depot down in darkest Sussex. Seem to recall that Wincanton’s where owned by Unigate, but collected for the Milk Marketing Board.

jimcab:
Farm collection tanker.

Good to see an old Bedford KM, Many a busted spring I’ve changed on Sunday afternoon so it was ready for early doors Monday Morning

I remember that depot in Mayfield, we used to deliver to a few dairies in sussex and kent . I was actually employed by unigate but drove wincanton vehicles.

2012-06-08 16.07.55.jpgjWFR 396V. . Leyland Roadtrain . . Wincanton reload centre.

2012-06-08 16.08.47.jpgb

Modern day milk tanker . . Boring livery !!y

2012-06-08 14.58.21.jpgERF farm tanker unloading at ‘Aldermeads’ reload centre.

A busy street scene in the 1950s, two years after my family moved from Uxbridge to Taunton. In this instance I can provide information for this Arthur Ingram picture which was taken in July 1957

The location is Taunton, Somerset and we are looking down East Street towards the Parade. The Wincanton AEC tanker is ‘Caliph’ and it is heading east along what was the route of the A38. It has just passed Economy House furnishers and further down the road on that side is the unmistakeable facade of a Woolworths branch. The pavement ramp on the immediate left foreground was for the showroom of Taunton Motors. I do not know where the Wincanton vehicle might have made a bulk collection although the nearest milk factory/processing unit was only six miles west in Wellington. Maybe a Wincanton man can enlighten us.

In the distance around the position of the County Hotel is, I believe, a Maynards Wine Gums delivery van. Possibly a bonneted Commer or a Guy from memory, but again I may be wrong. Apart from the Standard, two Morris’s and the Austin van the rest of the traffic appears to be of pre-war vintage. Is that another Standard in front of its modern counterpart?

Sadly a very poor example of this image appeared in a recent Wincanton publication, so it is nice to show the original as scanned from Arthur’s negative which is part of the Roundoak/Ingram collection.

2012-06-15 15.34.19.jpgBedford s type 227 HYC . Great fleet name ‘Tinkerbell’

jimcab:
0Bedford s type 227 HYC . Great fleet name ‘Tinkerbell’

Hi Jim.
The Merc in this photo G764 KYB was called “Ginger” but was known as all other imaginable names - it was a gutless piece of rubbish and was the Maltby punishment tractor. Didn’t bother me as I was shunting. :smiley:

I reckon that the restored Wincanton AEC MK3 8-legger “Apollo” would have been a far better drive. :laughing:

Thanks for that chris, i think one of my worse driving experiences was a shift on a merc with the EPS gearbox . .Thats why i ended up as yard shunter !!

jimcab:
Thanks for that chris, i think one of my worse driving experiences was a shift on a merc with the EPS gearbox . .Thats why i ended up as yard shunter !!

:laughing:
We had about 6 of these Swedish thingys off Dawsons and our knowledgable TSMs used to give them to the agency lads and the Mercs and E10s to full-time drivers.
I used to p*ss meself with laughter.Weren’t shunters rotten sods.