Willy Betz

I would not be a happy bunny if I saw anyone having a pop at our Ben!!
He is a regular membe ron here and hey, Ben, I enjoyed reading your own history. I have seen loads of Betz this week but never had my camera with me!
By the way, Ben, on Tuesday along the “corridor”, I saw a Betz MAN XXL!!! I was flabbergasted. Has he got fed up of Mercedes?

Ben,

Thankyou for giving us the lowdown on who you are and why you became a Betz fan. I enjoyed reading it and understood every word. :smiley:

You have, I hope, found many friends here on this website,myself included,and I speak for every member when I say that if you need ANYTHING,advice ,help, or just a friendly chat,we are all here. Don’t ever be afraid to ask.

I wish you all the best,mate. :wink:

Dan.

Ben…my mate…that was a very well written piece of journalism…and thanks for the thanks…but not necessary…i wanted to put the picture straight…maybe you could include your own pictures on this great site of some of your memoribilia and im sure that it would be of great interest to all visitors..i must admit that you would be a great candidate for Truckfest..in 2005..you sure have a lot of interest in trucks..keep up the good work, and im sure that you will receive a lot of new pictures in the near future from all the great members of the Trucknet family…
have a nice day

truckyboy:
Ben…maybe you could include your own pictures on this great site of some of your memoribilia and i`m sure that it would be of great interest to all visitors…

Ben has already shared some of his pics with us and they can be found here thread. Like you i would like to seee more of his collection.

According to Commercial Motor Willi is setting up some UK depots and employing UK drivers. He already has 12 agency drivers working at one of the depots. Should be lots more Betz wagons to see trundling around UK roads soon

Westie

willi has got the toyota parts contract outta derby off nyk logistics and hes looking for english drivers.like any firm its judged on its drivers unfortunately willi’s reputation has been tarnished by a minority of drivers he employs.willi betz employs a fair few nationalities and not just the ex somat bulgarian boys we see double manned in england.theres good and bad in every firm but all we ever seem to here are the bad stories and not the good. :laughing:

Craig 111:
The only thing negative you could say about the guy was that his FH12 was pretty dirty, but he told me that it had started the week sparkling clean :sunglasses:

The main reason is was so dirty (and still is) was because I’d loaded timber off the beaten track in the Ardenne on Monday…

…and the place I unloaded it in France wasn’t much better.

Finally the forum’s own Willi Betz employee speaks up :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I wondered if anyone had twigged at the FH12 reference. Still looked pretty clean to me Keith, even if you thought it was dirty. Perhaps Betz blue wouldn’t show the dirt so quickly ? Only problem is that shade normally comes on a low height Actros ! :smiley: Wonder what an FH would look like in that colour …

Actually, your FH looks like brand new when compared with the Volvo pic you posted in your 25 years thread - now that is a dirty truck !

Well done Bob and Ben. I may have in the past put some remarks on the site about Betz and his unique spelling. It was never meant in any derogatory terms, just a bit of idle banter :blush:

But I am impressed when I read bens post and his interest. I too am a big admirer of Willi Betz drivers, especially the old Somat men with whom I made a few friends on the road :stuck_out_tongue:

There is hope for us all now as Willi is advertising for UK drivers in Derby.

If you cant beat them, join them. Eh? KW

I met Ben this year at Truckfest Peterborough and he is a wonderful lad more than capable of communicating despite his difficulties.
His liking for Betz is not that unusual actually as there are lots of people around europe who spot their trucks a bit like the Eddie anoraks in theUK.

Thank you for the insight into yourself and your interests Ben it was a really interesting read and I understood every word, good luck with your hobby and please keep us informed as to how you get on because I would love to know. :wink:

KW:
The main reason is was so dirty (and still is) was because I’d loaded timber off the beaten track in the Ardenne on Monday…
…and the place I unloaded it in France wasn’t much better.

Now …THAT is a nice truck !!!
Drewll…

■■■
Jo

Owens_girl:
Now …THAT is a nice truck !!!
Drewll…

■■■
Jo

Now you’re just making me all embarassed :blush: :blush: :wink:

Hi Malc…hope your ok. it wasnt a pop at you mate but some of the others that visit…i must admit that i hadnt known much about ben before, but im glad that i do now..and look at that FH of Edwards..theyve come up in the world…i used to often run with one of their drivers through europe years ago, i believe if my memory serves me right that he was a relative of the boss…and they used to run old seddons..but nice to see they are still going..i think they ran out of gloucester somewhere..correct me if im wrong…
have a nice day

truckyboy:
…and look at that FH of Edwards…theyve come up in the world..i used to often run with one of their drivers through europe years ago, i believe if my memory serves me right that he was a relative of the boss..and they used to run old seddons…but nice to see they are still going…i think they ran out of gloucester somewhere…correct me if i`m wrong…
have a nice day

Edwards were originally ‘Edwards of Hull’ but were absorbed into the American Standard empire some years ago,which was quite logical as they were the main hauliers for American Standard (Ideal Standard,Armitage Shanks etc) and still are.They were re-branded a few years ago as Edwards Logistics with a new livery and from the 1st July this year the 30 odd trucks based in Genk,Belgium were sold to Betz-Nederland BV.
The UK side is still part of American Standard and we in Genk still handle the European transport,though now mainly only France,Italy and Spain.

KW:

truckyboy:
…and look at that FH of Edwards…theyve come up in the world..i used to often run with one of their drivers through europe years ago, i believe if my memory serves me right that he was a relative of the boss..and they used to run old seddons…but nice to see they are still going…i think they ran out of gloucester somewhere…correct me if i`m wrong…
have a nice day

Edwards were originally ‘Edwards of Hull’ but were absorbed into the American Standard empire some years ago,which was quite logical as they were the main hauliers for American Standard (Ideal Standard,Armitage Shanks etc) and still are.They were re-branded a few years ago as Edwards Logistics with a new livery and from the 1st July this year the 30 odd trucks based in Genk,Belgium were sold to Betz-Nederland BV.
The UK side is still part of American Standard and we in Genk still handle the European transport,though now mainly only France,Italy and Spain.

Does that mean that when they were absorbed into the American standard empire they went down the pan, so to speak Keith?
sdj

how much,( or little) does a betz driver actually make. does any one know the breakdown? it would be interesting to see how betz compares with the largest and crappiest company to work for here in america.

Reports vary as to what Betz’ Bulgarian and ex-Soviet drivers earn, but it is allegedly around 200 euros a month, per driver. They normally run double-manned crews, away from home for as long as it takes (three months+) in a mid-sized cabover. For westerners it’s a crazy situation, but back home where the bulk of those drivers come from they’re doing pretty well to get such a job, and there’s no shortage (at the moment) of new guys waiting to join the Betz operation.

Is there anything to rival that in North America?

A few years ago whist stuck for the weekend in GERMANY got to

talk with a few of the BETZ drivers then the rate was 50 pf about

16 pence a kilometer spilt by the two drivers, The drivers said

they tried to do at least 3months work before haveing time off

at home. YES for us this is a unexcepteble wage but at that time

with also taking hard currencey back home they were well paid

perhaps when BULGARIA JOINS the EU we will see achange

FOR the better for these drivers,