Whos to blame? [MERGED]

merc0447:
So who’ll pick up the bill for all the smashed up motors? The highways agnecy or the council?

Ford is a right good job I might just apply in case they get shot eh the driver :laughing:

Surely Fords insurers will and it will be down to them to chase up anyone for payment if they feel it was neglect of the part of the council/highways. Either way, taxpayers will end up paying for it.

Tris:
One thing I’ve noticed is that with my Scania the trailer rides higher than with a DAF. One day I’ll take a tape measure and a garden cane and measure them.

One day? Don’t you think, apart from the fact it’s a legal requirement, that you might want to know the height of the vehicle you’re driving? Just so you don’t make needless diversions to avoid something you could actually get under or to avoid situations such as this.

Also bear in mind that the marked bridge heights are supposed to allow 3" extra for a safety margin, AND be rounded down to the next whole 3". So if a bridge is marked at 15’ it will actually be somewhere between 15’ 3" and 15’ 6".

Also it would appear that the sign on one side of the bridge in question says 14’ 6" while the one on the other side says 14’ 0"…

Coffeeholic:

Tris:
One thing I’ve noticed is that with my Scania the trailer rides higher than with a DAF. One day I’ll take a tape measure and a garden cane and measure them.

One day? Don’t you think, apart from the fact it’s a legal requirement, that you might want to know the height of the vehicle you’re driving? Just so you don’t make needless diversions to avoid something you could actually get under or to avoid situations such as this.

At risk of getting slated I thought it was ok to use the height given on the trailer?

If it says 4.2m for example I go on google and get it in feet and inches and then add a couple of inches for good measure. I will put a tape measure in my bag though cos I’d like to know the actual number.

Tris:

With a mid lift axle in the raised position, a Scania will ride higher. I think with axle down they are the normal height (1.25m fifth wheel).

Roymondo:
Also it would appear that the sign on one side of the bridge in question says 14’ 6" while the one on the other side says 14’ 0"…

I thought that when I as on Streetview earlier but when I zoomed in bith seemed to say 14’ 6"

Tris:

Coffeeholic:

Tris:

At risk of getting slated I thought it was ok to use the height given on the trailer?

If it says 4.2m for example I go on google and get it in feet and inches and then add a couple of inches for good measure. I will put a tape measure in my bag though cos I’d like to know the actual number.

It usually also says that height on the trailer Is based on a XXXXmm fifth wheel height.

Can be a good variation on fifth wheel heights between units, even units of the same make depending on wheels and tyres fitted, make and design of fifth wheel such as standard or low profile. The height marked on the trailer isn’t much more accurate than what the last driver left the indicator in the cab set at.

Doing it your way could see you making a needless diversion, takes no time at all to just measure it. If you always pull the same trailers but with different units measure from the roof of the trailer to the bottom of the body and make a note of that. Each time you need to measure you only need to go from the ground the the start of the body and add the two together.

KarlM:
(except for access road near my house has an advance warning of a 5ft6 bridge but no signs on the actual bridge!!)

I suppose you don’t really need a sign on a bridge if you’re looking down on it.

Sign.jpg

Coffeeholic:

Roymondo:

I thought that when I as on Streetview earlier but when I zoomed in bith seemed to say 14’ 6"

I was using Google Earth (same imagery, but more “zoomable”) and got this. If you click on it and look at it full size, it clearly reads 14’ 0"

Coffeeholic:

Tris:

Coffeeholic:

Tris:

It usually also says that height on the trailer Is based on a XXXXmm fifth wheel height.

Can be a good variation on fifth wheel heights between units, even units of the same make depending on wheels and tyres fitted, make and design of fifth wheel such as standard or low profile. The height marked on the trailer isn’t much more accurate than what the last driver left the indicator in the cab set at.

Doing it your way could see you making a needless diversion, takes no time at all to just measure it. If you always pull the same trailers but with different units measure from the roof of the trailer to the bottom of the body and make a note of that. Each time you need to measure you only need to go from the ground the the start of the body and add the two together.

I thought there were generally only 2 different fifth wheel heights, 1.25 and 1.3…

Roymondo:

Coffeeholic:

Roymondo:

I was using Google Earth (same imagery, but more “zoomable”) and got this. If you click on it and look at it full size, it clearly reads 14’ 0"

Yep, that’s what I saw but changing the angle of view it then seemed to say 14’ 6". Strange, but either way he wasn’t going under. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

gurj254:
I thought there were generally only 2 different fifth wheel heights, 1.25 and 1.3…

It’s usually one of those two heights marked on the trailer headboard saying based on a fith wheel height of 1250mm or 1300mm but your fifth-wheel might not be one of those two very precise numbers. It’s only a guide and you could be lower, higher or between those numbers. What about wheels, tyres, suspension, type of fith wheel, tag axle or midlift up or down. So many variables. There’s only one way to know the height of your vehicle and it ain’t going by some broad guideline on the headboard.

Sign or not its his fault. As for there not being a sign on the bridge there’s a change that it’s on the road. He was clearly going at stoke rate of knots so could easily have been knocked off.

Anyone cross checked it with a map or Truck Sat Nav by any chance. What does the bridge height come up as… Google earth shows 14’6" warning triangle one side of the road and 14’0" in the opposite direction

Thought car transporter driver measured the overall vehicle height, once they’ve loaded the cars…I don’t wanna be rude but if he couldn’t see any height warning signs, shouldn’t he have pulled up 100 yard back, got off his ■■■ and measured it instead of risking it…

To me it looks like it is not the drivers fault
But dose anyone have a google map link to the location please?

Surprised there’s not one comment like … agency driver :wink:

There is no primary legislation that sets out a duty to
sign low bridges or to seek approval to move high loads.
Coupled with a common misunderstanding among drivers
of the height of a vehicle which can safely be driven under
an unsigned bridge, this creates particular difficulties.
It is accepted however that, as part of their duty under
Section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 19845
to
secure the expeditious, convenient and safe movement of
vehicular and other traffic (including pedestrians), Highway
Authorities should sign all bridges over highways with
less than 16’6” (5.03m) headroom at any point over the
carriageway, and also maintain such signing.

I’ve seen quite a few disused railway bridges with height markers on them, but I don’t know why so many are still standing unless they have historical value (which ones like the pictured bridge don’t as they’re ten a penny).

Coffeeholic:
Driver, possibly.
Don’t know which way he was going but there is a sign on both approaches. Or at least there was in 2009. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

thank you ^^^^ this was my point yes the bridge may not be signed but not many if any have no signs at all before a bridge that is low.