Who’s still at work

ezydriver:

robroy:

ezydriver:
So far I’ve noticed no difference at my company/depot. Full employment, full shifts, nobody being asked to take holiday, nobody laid off, nobody furloughed. Some drivers are getting overtime. I guess we’re amongst the lucky ones.

Apologies in advance, as it’s arguably the wrong attitude under the circumstances, but this is how this job has got me over the years. :blush:

You say you’re among the ‘lucky ones’,?
That is debatable, especially IF all this truth, propaganda or scaremongering (you decide) actually is true.
IF it is true, running the risk of catching something that may kill you however high or low that risk may or may not be, …you could hardly be described as ‘lucky’. :bulb:

Given the choice of being one of your ‘‘Lucky ones’’ OR as in my case, taking the stance of not being ENTIRELY convinced of the public info, but staying away from it anyway, to be on the safe side,…AND drawing 80% of your earnings, (while at the same time not really spending anything on a normally expensive social life) seems a far better proposition, but only obviously if you are given that choice.

I think the genuine ‘‘Lucky ones’’ are those who work for a good firm whereby said firm is making up the further 20% of the wage, (obviously I am not in that category myself :smiley: )

Please don’t think I’m having a go at those who are working for whatever reason, cos I ain’t. :bulb:
I have a few mates who are hauling essentials, some aint really fussed, others would rather be at home, but are being made to work whilst being unsure of any consequences that may result, , that is why questioned your term of ‘Lucky ones’'.

You make a good point there mate. But I consider myself lucky for 2 reasons. Firstly, I’m still working at 100% salary and with steady ongoing work. To my mind this means I have more certainty than those at home on 80% wage in non-essential industries,
not knowing for sure if they’ll get their job back. I’m feeling relatively secure at the moment, and reasonably confident I won’t have to go job hunting - for which I feel lucky. Secondly, I’m not going mad at home. I’m continuing with my regular routine and getting out and about. This is good for my mental health.

Also, the way I look at it, say IF 200 million die worldwide (highly unlikely), that’s gives me a statistical 97.15% survival chance, before controlling for age. Once age is controlled for (I’m 41) my likely survival is probably +99%… and that’s IF 200 million die. It’ll probably be no more than 1 million.

Yep, definitely see your point of view there.

However, let’s just say for one minute just for the sake of this argument (or friendly discussion :smiley: ) that all or most of this stuff that is being rammed down our necks is actually accurate.(not entirely convinced myself tbh :neutral_face: ) it will not matter a ■■■■ how old either you or me are (got a ‘couple’ of years on you btw :smiley: ) it could finish either or both of us.

I take your point about future job uncertainties, I would not like to lose my job, but I’ve lost jobs in worse circumstances in my life, and managed to bounce back.
Now it’s nice to be in a secure job, I’ve been there myself, but given the choice of ANY job and risking it, or risking severe illness (or worse) I reckon I’m still going for the former rather than the latter.

As for me ‘going mad at home’ in my case far from it, I’ve been in this job long enough (too long maybe :smiley: ) to realise driving a ■■■■ truck, and spending half your life away from loved ones, ain’t the be all and end all of life, but that’s another story, so I appreciate a bit of home time away from it all tbh.

Anyway mate as I said before, I’m NOT having a go at those working (far from it) good on you,.and stay safe. : :wink:

Milk Man:

Winseer:
Full timers - plenty of work that you might find gets on top of you over the coming weeks…
Us ZHC bods - are being let go… Anyone else on agency supermarkets here to back me up on this?

I do a bit of casual work for a local firm that pulls supermarket trailers. Last weekend it was full of agency drivers and on the Sunday I had never seen so many of Tesco’s own units parked up.

I guess the demand is still there for agency, but I wonder how this weekend will fare now the panic buying has slowed up (if I even get an offer of work)

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I was flat out in March, did a 15 hour last saturday, a 10 hour sunday night into monday morning - then got stood down monday afternoon “indefinitely”, with my prior planned monday night shift - cancelled.
Now looking to take an assessment elsewhere, but the woman I spoke to there said that Dartford had less demand for agencies next week - because the panic buying has now all but petered out…

If Supermarket is the only work in town, like seemed the case just a few days ago - then what happens if THAT goes?
That’s what worries me right now. :frowning:

XPO - are standing down their pallet staff, but keeping their tanker drivers going…
General Hauliers - are presumably running according to the importance of their loads…
Owner Drivers and ZHC are presambly going to be competing for the same reducing mud pool now…?
Yep, and every other supermarket trailer you see - seems to be pulled by a different tractor that you don’t get a “Pair” for a full hour driving around the M25… :open_mouth:

“Wigglesworth” and “Jobsworth” - don’t count as a “Pair” btw.

robroy:

ezydriver:

robroy:

ezydriver:
So far I’ve noticed no difference at my company/depot. Full employment, full shifts, nobody being asked to take holiday, nobody laid off, nobody furloughed. Some drivers are getting overtime. I guess we’re amongst the lucky ones.

Apologies in advance, as it’s arguably the wrong attitude under the circumstances, but this is how this job has got me over the years. :blush:

You say you’re among the ‘lucky ones’,?
That is debatable, especially IF all this truth, propaganda or scaremongering (you decide) actually is true.
IF it is true, running the risk of catching something that may kill you however high or low that risk may or may not be, …you could hardly be described as ‘lucky’. :bulb:

Given the choice of being one of your ‘‘Lucky ones’’ OR as in my case, taking the stance of not being ENTIRELY convinced of the public info, but staying away from it anyway, to be on the safe side,…AND drawing 80% of your earnings, (while at the same time not really spending anything on a normally expensive social life) seems a far better proposition, but only obviously if you are given that choice.

I think the genuine ‘‘Lucky ones’’ are those who work for a good firm whereby said firm is making up the further 20% of the wage, (obviously I am not in that category myself :smiley: )

Please don’t think I’m having a go at those who are working for whatever reason, cos I ain’t. :bulb:
I have a few mates who are hauling essentials, some aint really fussed, others would rather be at home, but are being made to work whilst being unsure of any consequences that may result, , that is why questioned your term of ‘Lucky ones’'.

You make a good point there mate. But I consider myself lucky for 2 reasons. Firstly, I’m still working at 100% salary and with steady ongoing work. To my mind this means I have more certainty than those at home on 80% wage in non-essential industries,
not knowing for sure if they’ll get their job back. I’m feeling relatively secure at the moment, and reasonably confident I won’t have to go job hunting - for which I feel lucky. Secondly, I’m not going mad at home. I’m continuing with my regular routine and getting out and about. This is good for my mental health.

Also, the way I look at it, say IF 200 million die worldwide (highly unlikely), that’s gives me a statistical 97.15% survival chance, before controlling for age. Once age is controlled for (I’m 41) my likely survival is probably +99%… and that’s IF 200 million die. It’ll probably be no more than 1 million.

Yep, definitely see your point of view there.

However, let’s just say for one minute just for the sake of this argument (or friendly discussion :smiley: ) that all or most of this stuff that is being rammed down our necks is actually accurate.(not entirely convinced myself tbh :neutral_face: ) it will not matter a [zb] how old either you or me are (got a ‘couple’ of years on you btw :smiley: ) it could finish either or both of us.

I take your point about future job uncertainties, I would not like to lose my job, but I’ve lost jobs in worse circumstances in my life, and managed to bounce back.
Now it’s nice to be in a secure job, I’ve been there myself, but given the choice of ANY job and risking it, or risking severe illness (or worse) I reckon I’m still going for the former rather than the latter.

As for me ‘going mad at home’ in my case far from it, I’ve been in this job long enough (too long maybe :smiley: ) to realise driving a [zb] truck, and spending half your life away from loved ones, ain’t the be all and end all of life, but that’s another story, so I appreciate a bit of home time away from it all tbh.

Anyway mate as I said before, I’m NOT having a go at those working (far from it) good on you,.and stay safe. : :wink:

Mate, I’ve got latex gloves and Dettol spray for whatever motor I’m assigned on whatever day. I’m good!

I’m gonna live. I know it.

I hope

wish me luck, as I go forth unto the illustrious Tesco RDC.

Yep, think it’s going that way. Fully expect to be living off my savings until I get my 80% in June.

Rumours are that furloughing is on the cards, just not enough work for is all.

Voluntary to start with in which case I will prob offer as I can survive on 80% and would quite like to snitch on me neighbours especially Sheila from number 36 who once grassed my son up, total ■■■■■ it was only a small meth lab :wink:

Having to do 1 exercise session a day would definitely get me out the house more.

Winseer:

Milk Man:

Winseer:
Full timers - plenty of work that you might find gets on top of you over the coming weeks…
Us ZHC bods - are being let go… Anyone else on agency supermarkets here to back me up on this?

I do a bit of casual work for a local firm that pulls supermarket trailers. Last weekend it was full of agency drivers and on the Sunday I had never seen so many of Tesco’s own units parked up.

I guess the demand is still there for agency, but I wonder how this weekend will fare now the panic buying has slowed up (if I even get an offer of work)

I was flat out in March, did a 15 hour last saturday, a 10 hour sunday night into monday morning - then got stood down monday afternoon “indefinitely”, with my prior planned monday night shift - cancelled.
Now looking to take an assessment elsewhere, but the woman I spoke to there said that Dartford had less demand for agencies next week - because the panic buying has now all but petered out…

If Supermarket is the only work in town, like seemed the case just a few days ago - then what happens if THAT goes?

XPO - are standing down their pallet staff, but keeping their tanker drivers going…
General Hauliers - are presumably running according to the importance of their loads…
Owner Drivers and ZHC are presambly going to be competing for the same reducing mud pool now…?
Yep, and every other supermarket trailer you see - seems to be pulled by a different tractor that you don’t get a “Pair” for a full hour driving around the M25… :open_mouth:

There must be work about as I’m agency and am down for next 5 weeks up to my next hol
Including bank hols etc , this has been put on me over last 2 weeks , work ( shifts ) still being put on since lockdown , last week upto next hol going on yesterday
Upto hol my work was general , pallet , cash& carry , rdc , basically a 50/50 split , with odd builders merchant loads
I rang to confirm this and was confirmed as correct , and also asked my o/t availability , which I confirmed as not available
Will be interesting to see what I do end up doing
Nb I’m agency but classed as fulltime agency , my understanding there agency , so maybe the reason at this point I’m down to work and not stood down ( should really have a look at contract as to what that says

Me.

I’m still working as normal, but I expected to as we do hospital laundry.

Drivers and staff have been laid off in the other areas that do hotels and work wear as work has dropped off but we’re guaranteed to be open so long as the hospital’s are.

Such joy being within feet of contaminated stuff each day but it’s not much different from before this virus came around

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

dozy:

Winseer:

Milk Man:

Winseer:

There must be work about as I’m agency and am down for next 5 weeks up to my next hol
Including bank hols etc , this has been put on me over last 2 weeks , work ( shifts ) still being put on since lockdown , last week upto next hol going on yesterday
Upto hol my work was general , pallet , cash& carry , rdc , basically a 50/50 split , with odd builders merchant loads
I rang to confirm this and was confirmed as correct , and also asked my o/t availability , which I confirmed as not available
Will be interesting to see what I do end up doing
Nb I’m agency but classed as fulltime agency , my understanding there agency , so maybe the reason at this point I’m down to work and not stood down ( should really have a look at contract as to what that says

I’ve left my future availability on the system until the end of May, across the bank holidays coming up…
Let’s see if they call me in after all, where I was originally holding out for “early evening starts”

I can only think that management are trying to favour those for work that’ll work for the lower rates…
There’s little other explanation that there are now apparently a dearth of the higher-paid shift rates (18:00-21:00 starts) whilst a glut of the stupid O’clock lower paid rates (02:00-06:00 starts) which I won’t be working under any circumstances… Methinks I’ll spend a few days at home with my family, whilst I’ve still got enough in my holiday pot for a fornight or so… No point getting worked up at being worked over by penny-pinching managers huh?

Me. Extra shift. Just waiting for 19:15 so I can go home after 8 hours
Busy but quiet at times as loads need to be collected

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Flat out working 8 wheel tipper tarmac, mainly new roads in new housing estates.
No 80% for us.

Back at work today after nearly two weeks off as I am in the over 70s brigade, the longest break in driving in over 50 years. Could not stand it any longer so as our family business is in the agriculture sector we have worked out a system, I load myself on farms and then change trailers with one of the other drivers halfway and they tip the load at customers so no need for me to have contact with anybody even on trailer change. Result.