What the hell has gone wrong?

I have just been taking a look through some of the other forums and am left wondering what has gone wrong with the transport industry, and more to the point, when did it go wrong?

You’ve now got people claiming they wouldn’t be able to do a job if they didn’t have a sat nav, or they turned up and the company didn’t supply one so they couldn’t do the job!
Agencies that ask if you have hi-vis and boots but don’t check if you have a sat nav!

I know my memory is shot to buggery these days and I suffer far too much with looking through rose tinted glasses, but I’m reasonably sure (please correct me if I’m wrong) that before the invention of sat nav and smart phones with google maps that there weren’t massive shortages in shops and factories on stand down while they were all waiting for some dumb lorry driver to extract his head from his arse and actually find his delivery points.

Regardless of where I turned up to work I was never asked if I had hi-vis, boots, gloves, maps, sleeping bag, tea bags, money or anything else. You turned up as a driver to drive a truck and it was assumed by the boss that you had anything and everything you needed to do that job, and if you didn’t it was also assumed that that was your problem to solve.

I ask this in all seriousness, it used to be the case that the following list was the minimum requirements for being a success as a truck driver, but now the only requirement seems to be the ability to do exactly what your told, when your told to do it, and all of the below list is now seen as bad things.
When did this change happen, and why ?
Why are so many people now entering the profession with the attitude that they must have their hand held for them the whole time?

Independent (didn’t rely on the office to find anywhere. Only spoke to them to get a reload for home)

Free thinking (organised our own delivery routes, we decided what route and where we would stop and for how long)

Resourceful (when it went ■■■■ up, we sorted it. Phoning the office for help was seen as a last and shameful resort)

Helpful (had a “I can do that” attitude, may not know how to do it but will figure it out)

Diplomat (the ability to lie in order to get tipped early, late, on time, blag a better backload than the office had found for you etc)

The unofficial apprenticeship (you started at a new company, the old hands quickly worked out if you needed help and guidance, if you did it was freely forthcoming, if you didn’t, you were left to get on with it and the assumption was you’d ask if you needed help)

Mechanic (anything from changing bulbs to adjusting brakes, changing wheels etc)

Sense of direction (was mandatory back then, you developed a sixth sense for where somewhere might be, or where it definitely wasn’t)

Sense of pride (the correct attitude to solve and overcome problems, not just give up at the first hurdle and say “no, can’t do that”)

The ability to speak (get out of the cab and ask someone where somewhere was, not just sit in cab and cry because you can’t find it)

Ability to speak (2) ( go into a cafe, talk to other drivers and more often than not, learn something new, and on the down side, hear the same stories that are even now, repeated with much enthusiasm in RDC’s everywhere!!)

Ability to speak (3) (talking to other drivers on the same firm and sharing delivery/collection point info to help each other out)

Knowledge of the job (everybody knew the tacho rules, granted half of them knew them wrong, but they knew them all the same and no-one was going to tell them different)

Knowledge of the job (2) (the knowledge of how to deal with The Ministry and plod when pulled over and you had 7 days of extremely dodgy cards on you. In depth knowledge meant you knew that losing them [eating them etc] was only a ‘failing to keep accurate records’ offence rather than tacho fraud)

Throttle sense (the knowledge that it’s not illegal to back off sometimes to help somebody else rather than keep the throttle nailed because you have right of way)

Rant over.

1974 when you oldn’s voted to join Europe !

blue estate:

Get your facts right, young 'un!
We did not vote to join Europe. We had all ready been railroaded in.
That referendum was whether or not to stay in, by which time it was too late to get out!

You can’t toss it off like you once could.

emmerson2:

blue estate:

That referendum was whether or not to stay in, by which time it was too late to get out!

We actually joined the Common Market.

Don’t look at it as a bad thing. These are skills being lost throughout society.

I’ve 3 kids that I’m raising to be outgoing independent cunning little sods and the field is clearing for them. The ability to ■■■■■■■■, get stuck in, and apply a little common dog when required is gonna be a premium skill as long as it’s correctly hidden.

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

max259:
Don’t look at it as a bad thing. These are skills being lost throughout society.

I’ve 3 kids that I’m raising to be outgoing independent cunning little sods and the field is clearing for them. The ability to [zb], get stuck in, and apply a little common dog when required is gonna be a premium skill as long as it’s correctly hidden.

The ability to Bull Excrement a much underated skill. An important point that the net nanny deleted from my comment but

It’s always been ■■■■, just in the old days there was nowhere like here for sad sacks to come and whine.

Another misty eyed thread about how wonderful things were 30 years ago.
Well in my opinion you can thank lots of these “wonderful” old truckers for the removal of free thought and being left to do things the way you wanted.
Many a time ive heard oldies talking of parking up for a few hours to go to sleep in the middle of the afternoon, taking long detours to visit people, parking up for hours to hang the job out etc.
Ive also heard of how they used to siphon diesel and fill up a seperate jerry can for themselves when they were fuelling up.
Companies must have been losing money hand over fist so is it any wonder they started watching drivers like a hawk?
And the hypocrisy of these same people who boasted about these activities then 2 minutes later they were whining about the office “on their back all the time” was staggering.
Ive also had a “debate” on here with an old hand who was quite apoplectic when I said it was unreasonable to sit for 4 hours waiting on a fitter to change a trailer bulb when I had one and could do it myself. His response was “im a driver, not a fitter” so its not just the new generation who were needing their hands held
So before all you old timers blame the newbies for everything thats wrong, look a bit closer to home.
Yes there are some idiots out there who need told how to wipe their own arse but thats a society thing, not an hgv industry thing. Theres a generation coming through now who have been brought up to think the world owes them a living and that someone will always hold their hand, spare their feelings and tell them what to do.
They’re in every industry, not just this one

The-Snowman:
Another misty eyed thread about how wonderful things were 30 years ago.
Well in my opinion you can thank lots of these “wonderful” old truckers for the removal of free thought and being left to do things the way you wanted.
Many a time ive heard oldies talking of parking up for a few hours to go to sleep in the middle of the afternoon, taking long detours to visit people, parking up for hours to hang the job out etc.
Ive also heard of how they used to siphon diesel and fill up a seperate jerry can for themselves when they were fuelling up.
Companies must have been losing money hand over fist so is it any wonder they started watching drivers like a hawk?
And the hypocrisy of these same people who boasted about these activities then 2 minutes later they were whining about the office “on their back all the time” was staggering.
Ive also had a “debate” on here with an old hand who was quite apoplectic when I said it was unreasonable to sit for 4 hours waiting on a fitter to change a trailer bulb when I had one and could do it myself. His response was “im a driver, not a fitter” so its not just the new generation who were needing their hands held
So before all you old timers blame the newbies for everything thats wrong, look a bit closer to home.
Yes there are some idiots out there who need told how to wipe their own arse but thats a society thing, not an hgv industry thing. Theres a generation coming through now who have been brought up to think the world owes them a living and that someone will always hold their hand, spare their feelings and tell them what to do.

Cant wait to see what is said now wonder if any will be honest :neutral_face:

I am going to start whispering in canteens from now on. Actually you speak a bit of truth there young man. For the record though, I too am tired of hearing the tales of how it used to be back in the day, and how they enjoyed adventures through Italy etc, etc. I am an oldie myself but unfortunately cannot tell any tales of travelling through exotic landscapes (without lying of course). It really wasn’t so great back then as it isn’t so great now. Difference being I was much younger then so perhaps its not so much as the job was better then but more I was.

Once the Berlin Wall came down! :grimacing: ENDEX. :laughing: the Stasi moved WEST. :sunglasses:

The-Snowman:

I remember such a discussion (although I hope I wasn’t the apoplectic old hand to which you refer!). Most larger firms simply don’t want drivers trying their hands at repairs. I’m sure there are plenty of drivers willing to do so, that does not necessarily coincide with those capable of doing so, and properly familiar and equipped to do so. Last time I went to change a bulb, two of us scratched our heads on how to access the bulb and finally called the mechanic. Most drivers have no mechanical background - and some are simply too ham-fisted to ever be trusted with handling vehicle parts that are clean and delicate. Larger companies also place more emphasis on keeping appropriate records of maintenance, as well as having workers engaged in tasks that are predictable and familiar.

What the buccaneering type of driver, the driver with natural gumption and interest in mechanics, has in mind is a comparison simply between the time taken to change a bulb and waiting hours for a mechanic - they aren’t looking at the time needed to train drivers who come to the job without mechanical skill and vehicle model familiarity, the administration and issuing of basic toolkits and spare bulbs, the cost of toolkits and bulbs going missing or being damaged, the driver having to pay attention to matters of stock and toolkit (like remembering to replace used bulbs, so that he has one for next time, and carting the toolkit around at all times), the need of the company to keep maintenance records on a fleet of hundreds or thousands of wagons, and so on. It wastes far less time across an entire organisation, to equip and maintain one mechanic with these things and have him travel out to a driver who waits, than the time wasted equipping and maintaining every driver.

Theres a generation coming through now who have been brought up to think the world owes them a living and that someone will always hold their hand, spare their feelings and tell them what to do.

I think that’s rubbish, and should be recognised as a perennial but fallacious complaint about every younger generation - usually emanating from those who consider themselves (sometimes dubiously) to have judgment, skill, and moral fibre, and then expect the same from those who haven’t even begun to acquire the lifetime’s experience that has forged and honed those things.

Enter Juddian in 3… 2… 1…

Rjan:

Theres a generation coming through now who have been brought up to think the world owes them a living and that someone will always hold their hand, spare their feelings and tell them what to do.

I think that’s rubbish, and should be recognised as a perennial but fallacious complaint about every younger generation - usually emanating from those who consider themselves (sometimes dubiously) to have judgment, skill, and moral fibre, and then expect the same from those who haven’t even begun to acquire the lifetime’s experience that has forged and honed those things.

Nothing of your reply is remotely connected to what I was talking about.

Some gold responses on this thread. I love how the so-called “old hands” always think they were born drivers and forget how much help they had from their experienced colleagues, or even relatives, especially if they went driving around with their father. These days the average office boy who spends four days getting a licence gets ZERO help from anyone. They go straight to agency and are expected to perform at the same level as experienced drivers. Nobody helps, nobody trains, nobody understands how much they don’t actually know. So they just struggle on, bumping into things, taking endless abuse etc until they get the hang of it. If you have no background in transport or any kind of manual labour it takes a lot of courage and determination to get to any level of competence in what is a very solitary and punitive industry.

As for not having a lot of mechanical skills etc. a lot of companies positively discourage this. The driver is given endless papers to sign swearing that they will not drive if the number plate bulb is out, that they won’t do this or that, and that they must follow the edicts and percentages of their new god, Microlise (all hail). So when anything unusual does happen, the lowly employee is quivering in his cab like an electrocuted hamster. If I do A, I get fired… if I do B, VOSA will string me up… if I do C, then I get both…

Many years ago, I was in a different industry that was going to ■■■■. One of the old boys came up to me and said “it doesn’t matter how bad you think things are now, you’ll always look back on these as the good old days”.

emmerson2:

blue estate:

I was -1 at time of vote , but I do know mum and dad voted no

Rjan:
the administration and issuing of basic toolkits and spare bulbs, the cost of toolkits and bulbs going missing or being damaged, the driver having to pay attention to matters of stock and toolkit (like remembering to replace used bulbs, so that he has one for next time, and carting the toolkit around at all times)

I carry a pair of pliers,adjustable spanner, 2 screwdrivers and some gaffer tape and wd40 anything that needs more attention than that probably requires a fitter. They are mine and we outsource our servicing etc.

I start at 4am and am bugggered if I’m going to sit and wait an hour + for a fitter to come out to our yard so I can watch him tilt the cab and change a bulb. Neither am I going to chance it and drive without a full complement of working lights.

Plus I think my Tm would probably wonder why we were getting charged for it.

Unfortunately there are many that would wait in this day and age.

Stopped reading the wall of text about halfway. But I’m entering this industry and don’t want my hand holding much.

Sure there’s a lot of things to learn and questions to ask! But I consider myself intelligent and resourceful. Once I’m actually driving I’d sooner be left alone to figure it out and get on with the job.

Rest assured I will always have a sat nav and map on me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk