Watch out for this one!

maximum fine 50 quid…no points.dont sweat it. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

No MOT Certificate > no points but max fine is up to £1,000
off the gov.uk website

Bking:
Mate of mine decided to get his car MOTd a month early as he was going on holiday when the ticket ran out.Took car for test and it failed on a bottom ball joint.No problem I was going to do it while he was away in sunnier climes.2 days later he gets a pull for no MOT.
He produced the still valid MOT bit of paper but was informed that because the car had failed a DVSA test this was now invalid and he was being done for driving a vehicle with no MOT.

This is your original post where you state he took it in for a ‘Test’ no mention of a voluntary check over, so guilty as charged !!! please admit for once you are wrong !!

raymundo:

dieseldog999:
[/quote
No MOT Certificate > no points but max fine is up to £1,000
off the gov.uk website

unless its something ridiculous its normally 50 quid…standard wrist slap…in northern ireland its not uncommon to have to wait up til 4 weeks for a test date when you apply…no biggie for no mot…a guy ran into my mate and me last year.he got dont 450 quid for doing 90 in a 30 and careless driving.6 points…plus 50 quid for no mot…the max may be the max,but almost certainly itl be 50 quid and no points.

But like you say ‘NI the land that time forgot’, but that may now alter as you have now an extra £1.5 billion squids to bring it into the 21st century …

Took Mrs Roymondo’s car for MoT. Took it in 30 days early, in order to keep the existing renewal anniversary while allowing me a few days to get any problems fixed. It failed - needed attention to rear brake pads and a broken exhaust mounting. Yes, that failure is now logged on the DVSA website BUT it is still shown as having a valid MoT certificate (expiring 31st July).

The myth that an MoT fail cancels any existing certificate is just that - a myth.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Took Mrs Roymondo’s car for MoT. Took it in 30 days early, in order to keep the existing renewal anniversary while allowing me a few days to get any problems fixed. It failed - needed attention to rear brake pads and a broken exhaust mounting. Yes, that failure is now logged on the DVSA website BUT it is still shown as having a valid MoT certificate (expiring 31st July).

The myth that an MoT fail cancels any existing certificate is just that - a myth.

Yes, there remains a valid MOT as long as the original lasts getting a failure does not invalidate and alter that but obviously if you have been made aware the brakes are dangerously faulty you are knowingly driving a dangerously defective vehicle.

If it shows online there is an MOT valid then legally it would have to be taken at face value. If you bought a 2nd hand car and it shows online there is a valid MOT it would just be driven away the public couldn’t be expected to 2nd guess if the previous owner might have unsuccessfully tried to get a fresh 12 months put on.

The clue on this thread really was who started it.

If a failed mot test doesnt invalidate the existing one purely based on the date printed on it then its further proof the mot test is a waste of time and not fit for purpose.
11 and a half months later a car can fail but still be classed as ok to drive based on what it was like almost a year ago?
Plus that, the fact there are people out there who think “well im still ok to drive as I still have a valid certificate” without it dawning on them their car has just failed a safety check means a change in the law is required

Not being a mechanic,I put my car into my local garage for a service and inspection and if its liable to fail its MOT they ring me, if its OK they MOT it.

The-Snowman:
If a failed mot test doesnt invalidate the existing one purely based on the date printed on it then its further proof the mot test is a waste of time and not fit for purpose.
11 and a half months later a car can fail but still be classed as ok to drive based on what it was like almost a year ago?
Plus that, the fact there are people out there who think “well im still ok to drive as I still have a valid certificate” without it dawning on them their car has just failed a safety check means a change in the law is required

That’s just the nature of it. Someone who does high miles will need tyres, brake pads etc and other work within the year before the next mot. Someone who potters around locally will probably be ok until the next one. The MOT isn’t saying the vehicle is not dangerous on anything other than the day it’s tested but also just because a vehicle has failed an MOT it doesn’t automatically follow it’s dangerous.

An mot pass is valid until the vehicle leaves the test station an mot fail is valid until its repaired and passes an mot.

Bking:
An mot pass is valid until the vehicle leaves the test station an mot fail is valid until its repaired and passes an mot.

So if you drive the vehicle the day after it left the testing station you commit an offence of driving with no MoT certificate… [emoji12]