Walked out of my first HGV job - what next?

Latestarter1972:
Currently doing the cpc 35hrs after passing(car pre 97) and whilst some of it is useful, a lot is clearly a waste of time as as the poster above suggests would be much better spent on more practible elements for newbies.
The tutor said there is now on urban safety course which involves half a day riding a bike! So perhaps the courses are changing for the better going forward :exclamation:

With regards to the OP sounds like driving is for you but you just need to move on an accept that every job has its good and bad points. Better training elsewhere will no doubt have parts of the job that you dont like and you may wish you were back where you started.

From my perspective have never driven an automatic,
so the opposite issue when thrown the keys and told to get on with it, what advice is there for a first time automatic driver.

Firstly, they are are semi automatic, with a manual overide, basically stick it in A, release handbrake press the loud pedal away ya go, when approaching roundabout, lift off, the pedal, slow it down with the brakes, then gently press loud pedal again. Shouldn’t need to use M, why have a dog and bark yourself.

Others will disagree.

Manual gearbox should be compulsory for passing the test…allowing auto’s is the ultimate dumbing down of the job.

There is so much that people miss by not learning on a manual…like how to actually plan their driving…how to read the road conditions to make smooth safe efficient progress…

eagerbeaver:
Stop whining. Get in it, drive it, and then go home.

Fanny…

I made a flippant comment at the start of the thread, had a rethink and suggested maybe a blue chip with hand holding risk assessments. Now, after being branded an old muppet whose set in his ways, I’m rethinking again. How much “correct training” do these kids need to drive a manual truck and open the curtains? :open_mouth:

Little after my 21st, I passed my test on a Monday morning in a fairly new Renault with a double H knock box, nice and simple (although you younguns are probably ■■■■■■■■ it just reading the description), and on Wednesday afternoon I was chucked the keys to a Foden (like the fairground ones pulling the dodgems) with a crash box and told to get on with it, all the way to Camden High Street with a 45ft fridge for Sainsbury’s. No prat navs, not even a proper map, just my wits and a London AtoZ. That’s deep end territory.

You sink or swim in this game, and if you think you’re the first to find a tank half empty, or a trailer brake on, you’re very much mistaken. I doubt you were even the only driver at your firm to find that this morning, let alone on here. If they were the final straw, the camel doesn’t have the back for it

I don’t see why people are so obsessed with auto and manual boxes. Its like a bravado thing where as if you didn’t do your test on a manual then your not a driver. ■■■■■■■■ its not that bloody hard is it. crunch and drop a few gears then your away after a few hours of use. I actually like auto boxes but have no problems driving either. The whole thing with this post is the poor lad who had enough and walked out had nothing to do with either. Its the fact he hasn’t been shown by anyone and had no experience as all of us had at one stage. Difference when i started was people actually cared and looked out for you, now a days your lucky if you get thanked for waiting for someone or flashing some driver in and it isn’t just the eastern Europeans either. Its just nobody gives a ■■■■ for anyone nowadays. Not surprised this lad threw his keys in. Might be for the best for his own sake.

Get into supermarket work it’s a lot less stressful o.O

It’s the older transport way. I’ve worked for firms where curtains and fridges they presume you knew. Even if they’d asked during the chat/interview and knew you didn’t know. Just asked drivers and picked bits up. It is a bit strong not being shown a tipper if it’s your first time. Even show you the basics. The buggers can squash you I suppose. Don’t need to make a drama out of it, just say you’ll need showing before you start as you don’t want to break it/hurt yourself.

Worked for a really old school firm. Mechanic showed me the buttons on a skele and ran through verbally what to do at the terminal in five minutes. I scribbled it down on a bit of scrap and set off :laughing: . That firm would call you alsorts of names when you stuffed up or they were getting annoyed cos they had you planned somewhere and you didn’t take the secret short cut you’re meant to be born knowing. You picked it up though :laughing: , but good thing was they let you alone and no monitoring/procedures. Suppose places like supermarkets will go into training but then you’re in a world of monitoring/checking and reporting which will never change. Depends what you like. If you can bump and scrape through with a more laid back place you may prefer being left to it when you get going.

Prob is the regulations world doesn’t go hand in hand with old school work it out yourself these days. Every bugger wants to do you for something. So you’re best asking and insisting on being shown. A curtainsider/fridge you can work out/google easy, but best not fudge it on something like a tipper, otherwise you might be like that bloke in the video that had the trailer tip on the cab when the load got stuck at the top and changed the centre of balance :open_mouth:

No diesel, being booked in early. That is nothing in transport. Don’t worry about it, just get on with it. I used to turn up to bookings when told to. Never took an interest in the details of what time it was actually booked. If I was held there, I was held there. If I was refused as late then I was refused :smiley: . As long as you let them know. Some people get far too involved and take in interest in things that don’t concern them.

The secret in transport is low expectations and then you’ll walk through being either not suprised, or pleasantly suprised. But never disappointed :laughing:

Wouldn say your career in transport is over, stobart always lookin for wheel attendants

TheYoungTrucker:
Wouldn say your career in transport is over, stobart always lookin for wheel attendants

Nowt wrong with Stobarts, they at least make sure the new drivers are well versed, people knock em but we are all destined for them

It’s not a bad job really, there’s just a lot of crap firms.
If you start a new gig and you’re not settled in by dinnertime, it’s a crap firm.

OVLOV JAY:

eagerbeaver:

Fanny…

I made a flippant comment at the start of the thread, had a rethink and suggested maybe a blue chip with hand holding risk assessments. Now, after being branded an old muppet whose set in his ways, I’m rethinking again. How much “correct training” do these kids need to drive a manual truck and open the curtains? :open_mouth:

Little after my 21st, I passed my test on a Monday morning in a fairly new Renault with a double H knock box, nice and simple (although you younguns are probably [zb] it just reading the description), and on Wednesday afternoon I was chucked the keys to a Foden (like the fairground ones pulling the dodgems) with a crash box and told to get on with it, all the way to Camden High Street with a 45ft fridge for Sainsbury’s. No prat navs, not even a proper map, just my wits and a London AtoZ. That’s deep end territory.

You sink or swim in this game, and if you think you’re the first to find a tank half empty, or a trailer brake on, you’re very much mistaken. I doubt you were even the only driver at your firm to find that this morning, let alone on here. If they were the final straw, the camel doesn’t have the back for it

Wow if you needed a map to get to sainsburys at Camden give up driving :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Why should you give up driving if you need to look at your A - Z to see where Sainsburys at Camden is?

discoman:

OVLOV JAY:

eagerbeaver:

Fanny…

Little after my 21st, I passed my test on a Monday morning in a fairly new Renault with a double H knock box, nice and simple (although you younguns are probably [zb] it just reading the description), and on Wednesday afternoon I was chucked the keys to a Foden (like the fairground ones pulling the dodgems) with a crash box and told to get on with it, all the way to Camden High Street with a 45ft fridge for Sainsbury’s. No prat navs, not even a proper map, just my wits and a London AtoZ. That’s deep end territory.

Wow if you needed a map to get to sainsburys at Camden give up driving :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

By proper map, I mean the turn by turn guides the supermarkets give you. At that time, Sainsbury’s maps were just a marker on a computer generated map. I meant I had to choose my own route, and I wouldn’t need to look at a map now, but I was only 21 at the time

UKtramp:
Nowt wrong with Stobarts, they at least make sure the new drivers are well versed, people knock em but we are all destined for them

:open_mouth: Christ I sincerely hope not. :open_mouth:
My brain is clean enough, no desire to have it washed thanks. :smiley:

OVLOV JAY:

discoman:

OVLOV JAY:

eagerbeaver:

Fanny…

By proper map, I mean the turn by turn guides the supermarkets give you. At that time, Sainsbury’s maps were just a marker on a computer generated map. I meant I had to choose my own route, and I wouldn’t need to look at a map now, but I was only 21 at the time

Fair dues, probably daunting what with the road ranger etc. and actually being a real driver.

robroy:

UKtramp:

:open_mouth: Christ I sincerely hope not. :open_mouth:
My brain is clean enough, no desire to have it washed thanks. :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What’s your plan OP?

Tell me this post is a ■■■■ take!
What can you say?
Somebody pulling a trailer brake “was the final straw”
WTF is happening?
Is everybody out there turning into a joke?

Nate187:
than most do in taking a potential killing machine onto the road for the first time.

Well as long as you’re not the hysterical, exaggerating type i’m sure it’ll be fine

The-Snowman:

Nate187:
than most do in taking a potential killing machine onto the road for the first time.

Well as long as you’re not the hysterical, exaggerating type i’m sure it’ll be fine

The ‘‘Killing Machine’’ line was stolen from Winseer. :laughing:

Bking:
Tell me this post is a ■■■■ take!
What can you say?
Somebody pulling a trailer brake “was the final straw”
WTF is happening?
Is everybody out there turning into a joke?

ha ha this quote is very true, I think everyone is getting a little too sensitive & worried now. Easy mistake to make, saw a driver last week drag his trailer legs right round round a yard and gouge up half the tarmac on the road out before he realised. He couldn’t wind them up too far as he had bent them so badly. Unfortunately it just happens for lots of different reasons. Point is just get on with it, don’t get hysterical & dwell on it too much, learn from it like in life. Its not the worst thing that could happen.