Walked out of my first HGV job - what next?

Mark500:
Fall off the horse, get back on the horse.

Fall off the horse…

Buy a quadbike instead

i know nothing about horses

You just got into the wrong sector of this industry. We are all different. Some of us love jobs like that where you have to do what you can to keep things moving but if you do the boss leaves you be. But you’re clearly not a fly by the seat of your pants chap, which is fine. My suggestion is to look to the big corporate employers who do everything by the book. I think you’d probably fit in nicely there. Don’t give up, it’s a big industry and you will find a job and company to suit.

Also I make videos to help new drivers. I am.lucky I always had my Dad to call but many aren’t so I started the videos to help new lads. Had load of messages from people saying how helpful they are which is really wonderful to hear because I myself think I’m a bit of a prat :wink:

I think a lot of young lads like yourself come into this job with their eyes closed. What you’ve described is fairly standard. Your biggest mistake was not asking fellow drivers for advice. You’re wasting your time asking anyone in the office, they’re too busy funking things up!

Now is the time to see if you’re really cut out to be a lorry driver. Go back in, apologise (you don’t have to mean it) and explain why you walked out (doesn’t have to be true). If you get your job back, crack on but start looking for something more suited to you. If you don’t the get your job back, start looking for something more suited to you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cavey.

lolipop:
What is so difficult that makes a truck with a manual box different to driving a car with a manual box except for the size.
Transport is possibly not for you.

I did class 2 manual and class 1 auto. Auto is easier because it cuts out the gears and clutch process, only problem is when braking at roundabout it can take while to catch on. IM not saying manual is hard, im just saying auto is easier. Besides most class 1 have auto as standard now.

OP where you based/can travel to?

wolves:

lolipop:
What is so difficult that makes a truck with a manual box different to driving a car with a manual box except for the size.

I did class 2 manual and class 1 auto. Auto is easier because it cuts out the gears and clutch process, only problem is when braking at roundabout it can take while to catch on. IM not saying manual is hard, im just saying auto is easier. Besides most class 1 have auto as standard now.

OP where you based/can travel to?

Making decent smooth flowing progress is harder with the usual sub standard automated clutched gearboxes in my honest opinion, why we even contemplate issuing manual passes for tests taken in autos is baffling.
Dumbing down training and testing has done the new driver no favours at all.

switchlogic:
Also I make videos to help new drivers. I am.lucky I always had my Dad to call but many aren’t so I started the videos to help new lads. Had load of messages from people saying how helpful they are which is really wonderful to hear because I myself think I’m a bit of a prat :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lukemvernon

Ace. I’m learning myself, gonna go check those videos out.

To the original poster. My thoughts as someone who hasn’t yet entered this industry but who’s been around the block a few times is as follows. I as a noob would want more support from my employer than yours has given you. That said and maybe it’s a confidence comes with age thing, I would have tried to figure stuff out. Like with the manual gear box, I can drive a car,so tbh I’d have just had a play around with it. If I really was still struggling then I’d ask for help.

I’m a great believer in not burning bridges if it can be helped. I agree with those that suggest going back and talking to your boss. Even if you still part ways, leaving on good terms might help you somewhere down the line. Who knows. Good luck.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I learnt very quickly that this industry can chew you up and spit you out if you let it. My first boss was very old school, I was given some training them got told to get on with it. Sink or swim. I’m lucky in the fact that I managed to get my head around the job before it was too late.

Having dylexia can make it harder for me to see solutions to certain problems like trying to turn you truck round in a tight spot. I sometimes need someone to show me what they mean before it will click.

I’ve only been driving since 2014 and Class 1 since September last year but I don’t think there is another job that offers me this level of freedom bar becoming a politician.

I know the type of gear box he was using and it’s not a manual Box like you would think. It’s the pre select merc box that you basically have to use like a triptronic gear box. You can only push the stick forward or backwards to go up and down. They ain’t that difficult. I have to agree and think that maybe you started to run before you could walk. Night trunking runs tought me a lot as a new starter. If you really really want to be a truck driver then possibly find something else that is a bit easier for a bigger company. We have a guy who started about the same time as me a few months ago and took over driving the artic. He has had many many bumps bangs and scraps and hit a bridge today! I also have told him I don’t think he is cut out for this job. It’s nothing personal. Not everyone is capable of doing everything. Maybe find a job and just do weekends for an agency. Good luck with whatever you decide to do buddy.

The job IS right for you. Dont listen to these old Muppets set in their ways. The truth is if you had of got the correct training you’d still be in that job now. Its a big problem in the transport industry, alot of these smaller company’s dont want to invest in the long term, just looking at short term goals. A crew member in McDonalds receives more training of how to wash their hands than most do in taking a potential killing machine onto the road for the first time. I think the initial cpc should be scrapped and new drivers need to complete 35hrs of useful training of how trailers work, ratchet straps etc.

Nate187:
I think the initial cpc should be scrapped and new drivers need to complete 35hrs of useful training of how trailers work, ratchet straps etc.

A man who talks sense.
That would be a good idea, intense training for new drivers.
We have all done the first wave of the dcpc crap (which personally taught me ■■■■ all that I did not already know) so instead of teaching drivers who already have a bit of knowledge and experience, concentrate on the new drivers coming into the job…brilliant.

All the subjects you mention with a bit of old fashioned map reading chucked in (to eradicate the sat nav totally dependant) and some basic road craft including courtesy and empathy towards other truck drivers and the rest on the road, and how you should not drive a big truck as you would a car.
Because the present driver training evidently does none of this. :bulb:

In other words clean up the industry, and get back to the days when truck drivers were a ‘‘cut above’’ all other road users, instead of as how many are today…a ■■■■ joke that aint funny.

Not so much of the old muppets stuck in their old ways :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

UKtramp:
:roll: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m thinking that you don’t agree with that then. :smiley:

robroy:

UKtramp:
:roll: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m thinking that you don’t agree with that then. :smiley:

ha ha I actually do agree with you there, I think we posted at the same time, the eyes were for the quote of old muppetts set in their ways lol

Op! :grimacing: join the paras or royal marine commandos. :laughing: in at the deep end? :smiley:

Joking aside, man up, apologise and try again. Good luck. :sunglasses:

I wouldn’t go grovelling back if I were you. I’m in a similar situation, ive been driving c+e for 11 months and was ‘lucky’ enough to get a job straight away. For the first month I hated it and felt like chucking in the towel many times but with time it got easier and I now find the job a doddle. Dont get me wrong I still want to leave for many reasons but now im in a position where I have experience and would feel comfortable walking into most jobs so I think with 8 months you’re feeling the same. You got this job with zero experience so now you can look for something better.
If I were you I’d join an agency (find out which ones supply places you’d like to work for) and try different jobs, who knows you may find your dream job there.

lolipop:

In fairness the merc doesn’t actually have a proper gear lever like a car it’s the switch on the armrest jobbie with a paddle for half gears .Not rocket science but can obviously confuse a newbie better ask than do a clutch in

Currently doing the cpc 35hrs after passing(car pre 97) and whilst some of it is useful, a lot is clearly a waste of time as as the poster above suggests would be much better spent on more practible elements for newbies.
The tutor said there is now on urban safety course which involves half a day riding a bike! So perhaps the courses are changing for the better going forward :exclamation:

With regards to the OP sounds like driving is for you but you just need to move on an accept that every job has its good and bad points. Better training elsewhere will no doubt have parts of the job that you dont like and you may wish you were back where you started.

From my perspective have never driven an automatic,
so the opposite issue when thrown the keys and told to get on with it, what advice is there for a first time automatic driver.

Nate187:
The job IS right for you. Dont listen to these old Muppets set in their ways. The truth is if you had of got the correct training you’d still be in that job now. Its a big problem in the transport industry, alot of these smaller company’s dont want to invest in the long term, just looking at short term goals. A crew member in McDonalds receives more training of how to wash their hands than most do in taking a potential killing machine onto the road for the first time. I think the initial cpc should be scrapped and new drivers need to complete 35hrs of useful training of how trailers work, ratchet straps etc.

How much training is required for opening and closing curtains? Can I book 35 hours cpc for it? :unamused:

Stop whining. Get in it, drive it, and then go home.

Fanny…