Walk Round Check Sheets

Hi guys,

I’ve been doing a lot of agency work, so I’ve driven for a bunch of different companies.

I’ve noticed some have paperwork that is required to be filled out to record a walk around check, also some do not. Obviously I always do a check anyway but my question is this,

If stopped by the DVSA is it enough to have some other work recorded before you start driving or is a check sheet a must have as evidence?

According to the DVSA web site, they can ask for a copy at the roadside. Theres a template one on the site below if you go to the reporting section at the bottom.

Ours have a carbon copy book so we hand one in and the book stays in the cab. But have seen them with just a photocopy sheet or as you say nothing at all.

Personally I’d search Ebay/ Amazon for a defect book as they are white cheap and you can keep them with you. Covers your arse even if the company aren’t complying with the rules.

gov.uk/guidance/carry-out-d … your-check

Ours is app based. You log in, put the reg in, answer the questions, take some pictures of certain bits and job done.

Then you do the same for the trailer. Traiker number photo, dog clip photo, OS photo, tyres photo, rear photo, NS photo, NS tyres photo, height marker.

Farce.

never had a ‘check sheet’ until i came to dhl! on the tippers just make sure the tyres are up and off you go :laughing:

toonsy:
Ours is app based. You log in, put the reg in, answer the questions, take some pictures of certain bits and job done.

Then you do the same for the trailer. Traiker number photo, dog clip photo, OS photo, tyres photo, rear photo, NS photo, NS tyres photo, height marker.

Farce.

what if you don’t have a smart phone?

carryfast-yeti:
never had a ‘check sheet’ until i came to dhl! on the tippers just make sure the tyres are up and off you go :laughing:

Jeez that must have been a posh tipper firm :smiley:

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll print off and likely laminate the one off the DVSA website, don’t wanna be giving them excuses to ■■■■ my wallet or my license!

Chalkst3r:
Hi guys,

I’ve been doing a lot of agency work, so I’ve driven for a bunch of different companies.

I’ve noticed some have paperwork that is required to be filled out to record a walk around check, also some do not. Obviously I always do a check anyway but my question is this,

If stopped by the DVSA is it enough to have some other work recorded before you start driving or is a check sheet a must have as evidence?

Bring your own but if you talk to the transport guy or whoever is in charge 9 times out of 10 they’ll reach into a magic drawer and pull out a defect book.

You can find them in some services. WH Smith has some tachodisc ones the last time I was in.

I am pretty certain that it is required by law and you would land in some ■■■■ if you got stopped as you only have your word to go by that you have completed the checks. I reckon it would be almost a certainty they would fine you

They would have a field day if you were to have missed something

Chalkst3r:

Can we assume the companies that don’t have a check Sheet/form do have a way for you to record any defects?

toonsy:

Farce.

I would like that,arse completely covered.

Plenty on e-bay,

ebay.co.uk/itm/Tachpro-50-P … SwXyNdJvUs

carryfast-yeti:

toonsy:

Farce.

The company will give you one.

Acorn:

Chalkst3r:

Can we assume the companies that don’t have a check Sheet/form do have a way for you to record any defects?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
surprisingly enough you go into the office and ask for the defect book assuming its unsafe to be on the road and should be vor anyway.
if its legal to drive,then dont waste anybodys time and crack on.

WheelsofCardiff:

carryfast-yeti:

toonsy:

Farce.

The company will give you one.

Yeah its not on our own phone. Its the company phone. Again if yheres no company phone I doubt you’d end up with an app based system.

Tbh despite initial moaning its not really any hassle. You’re ‘supposed’ to fill in the phone as you walk round but I found you end up checking nkthingbreally and looking at the screen, so i check it as I’ve done for years then flybround taking the photos/answering the questions afterwards.

carryfast-yeti:

Similar thing at our place. “Are the tyres still round?” Yes? OK, good to go :smiley:

I’ve got us some of these below and the gaffer has refunded me. Just covers our arses and it’s good practice anyway, even though we generally drive the same truck every day. Our small yard has Nest cameras covering it so they’d have us bang to rights if they reviewed the footage and discovered that no checks were being done.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drivers-Defect-report-form-Tachograph-product/dp/B01C485CYE/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=defect+book&qid=1591298737&sr=8-2 (pack of 10 books)

I keep my reports in the book til the end of my week then tear them out and take them round to our main office to file along with the fuel receipts and any other guff.

Probably a good ‘investment’ to get a book or two if you’re agency, just to cover your arse. Vosa are hot on pre-trip daily checks evidence if you get stopped. Only the jobsworths bother with them, everyone else just ticks every box without even reading them and then cracks on. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s not a legal requirement to fill in a check sheet, it is mainly down to company policy. Some have them, and some have a book and is only filled in when defects are found.
VOSA just like to see at least 10 minutes other work at the start of the shift to show you have done it, but even that isn’t something that is a legal requirement, but they will hammer you if they find a fault and you haven’t recorded the 10 minutes other work.
I have been to a place where the minimum other work was 20 minutes to do the walk around.

R420:

carryfast-yeti:

Similar thing at our place. “Are the tyres still round?” Yes? OK, good to go :smiley:

I’ve got us some of these below and the gaffer has refunded me. Just covers our arses and it’s good practice anyway, even though we generally drive the same truck every day. Our small yard has Nest cameras covering it so they’d have us bang to rights if they reviewed the footage and discovered that no checks were being done.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drivers-Defect-report-form-Tachograph-product/dp/B01C485CYE/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=defect+book&qid=1591298737&sr=8-2 (pack of 10 books)

I keep my reports in the book til the end of my week then tear them out and take them round to our main office to file along with the fuel receipts and any other guff.

Probably a good ‘investment’ to get a book or two if you’re agency, just to cover your arse. Vosa are hot on pre-trip daily checks evidence if you get stopped. Only the jobsworths bother with them, everyone else just ticks every box without even reading them and then cracks on. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

first company I worked for had the same tick sheet for the vans as the 7.5 people used to just tick everything in sight like you said trouble was they ticked that they had checked the brake fluid on the 7.5 tonners.

cooper1203:

R420:

carryfast-yeti:

first company I worked for had the same tick sheet for the vans as the 7.5 people used to just tick everything in sight like you said trouble was they ticked that they had checked the brake fluid on the 7.5 tonners.

Yeah. I’d been ticking that the adblu is okay and my suzi lines are all in good order on my 05 plate Scania rigid 8 legger. Seems legit! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If the company don’t supply a defect book or checklist then I can’t see how it is the driver’s responsibility to provide one at their own expense, as long as you show the time on your tacho I would expect to be in the clear and for DVSA to take that up with the operator, though I’ve got no experience of this happening.

As for what gets ticked, as an agency driver I’m always alert for defect books where someone has been ticking the 5th wheel tickbox when the vehicle is a rigid :unamused: Fortunately rare, but I’ve seen it several times up to this point