Tug drivers Felixstowe

Hi all

are their any current or ‘have been’ tug drivers at Felixstowe Port on here? Need some help / advice. Thanks

my neighbour is one, thru an agency hes been on short time for ages -not happy situation he switched to nights hoping that be better but turns out even worse only 1 or 2 nights p week

My eldest lad parked up his own truck and got a job as a tug driver there on the old contract, couple of years later they brought in a new contract for new employees which in comparison to the old one was total crap …

thanks for the replies…
am i correct in saying they run 4 days on 4 days off, 2 of the 4 are nights and 2 are days? Also is it correct you can be called in at any time by text message (not sure if this is in addition to the 4 on/off). Wages are/were £23k a year for the 48 hours, and a bonus of upto £5k (higher the less sick and lateness you take etc) paid after xmas…

neighbour was telling me it is all done by text,whether you are in the next day or not. you assume you are in work the following day unless you get the afternoon text from agency saying otherwise. he gets these text at about 4pm just saying NO , which really pees him off suprise suprise . He used to do 4 or even 5 twelve hour day shifts week in week out for several yrs but about a year ago it all went teets up now hes lucky if he gets 2 night shifts a week. hes like a bear now and become a big drinker all sad really

corij:
he gets these text at about 4pm just saying NO

And this is what the proud British worker has descended to! :imp: :imp: Begging for scraps, sickening isn’t it?

I was once shopping in the massive Tesco store on Dragonville in Durham at about 9pm one night when I noticed a big strapping 50ish year old fella in his Tesco uniform driving one of them floor washing machines up and down the aisles. My immediate thought was one of pity for a big, obviously proud man carrying out menial work like that. I then changed my opinion to “fair play mate” you’re doing what you need to do to put food on the table.

What I saw next though incensed me; as he drove up the aisle two Tesco management types in their early twenties stood in conversation studiously ignoring the fact that this fella wanted to be past. I actually witnessed the pain on his face as he was forced to turn around and retrace his path. The fact that this fella once probably bashed rivets into ships or dug coal out from beneath the sea and was being humiliated by two snot nosed kids really got to me.

I however am not a Tesco employee and as I shoulder barged between the pair of them the look of confusion and a small amount of fear on their faces made me happy for a while.

a sad scenario that mate. but it made me think of a song by deacon blue…youtu.be/nsr9HCOgQe0

m.a.n rules:
a sad scenario that mate. but it made me think of a song by deacon blue…youtu.be/nsr9HCOgQe0

A fitting song mate. I think that it was this fellas obvious dignity which struck a chord with me and made his treatment so painful to witness and caused me to act completely out of character tbh.

m.a.n rules:

I thought more of this as a soundtrack…as Maost walked down the aisle at Tesco swaggering like Clint, after shoving those two pricks out of the way. :sunglasses: :laughing: : :laughing:
youtu.be/AFa1-kciCb4

Not gonna ask which one of the three I am bud! :smiley:

the maoster:
Not gonna ask which one of the three I am bud! :smiley:

You’re a half inch bit bigger than me ‘‘Clint’’ so I aint saying. :laughing: :laughing:

well after seeing that pic I know which one rob is… :laughing:

zero hours contract. 4 on 4 off. no phones whilst your driving.

portoffelixstowe.tal.net/vx/lan … ives/en-GB