Trucknet Twighlight zone

robroy:

Dipper_Dave:
I suspect I’m under review Rob, no doubt a thread in the admin/mods private area with my name on it.

Suppose all I can do is show I’m not just a innuendo maestro but can make more worthwhile contributions to avoid being on the end of Rikki’s chopper…

Tell you what Dave mate, seeing as ND has gone, and somebody told me even Beaver :open_mouth:, so if you go the forum will be less entertaining without the three of you. . :cry:

Ok, ND was a bit close to the edge sometimes, and Beaver had some good opinions on stuff, which sparked debate, which I thought it was all about.
Maybe it was his answers to that copper that got him the chop, but there was always a lot of banter from both of those lads.

I just hope the forum is not reduced to the ‘‘Which sat nav’’ bollo type threads now, it will be a shame if it becomes bland and sanitized, because I reckon in it’s present form it’s ok.

Not sure about the ‘‘bullying’’ Rikki was on about :open_mouth: , must have missed that one, unless some poor soul could not take trucker type talk, and complained :unamused: …who knows.

My personal opinion is there are at least 3 a/holes on here I can think of that should have been given the boot WELL before Beav and ND, but it’s Rikki’s ‘ball’ and he lets us play with it with him.

Hey…maybe I.will be next for referring to Rikki’s chopper [emoji38] , not sure if we both share same sense of humour, but if I aint on for a few weeks you’ll know the answer to that one. [emoji38]

I think we both better brace ourselves just in case we are on the receiving end of Rikki’s chopper.

I’m not so sure about the chopper, because I’ll guarantee that nobody has been banned.

Sometimes, posters choose not to post, but in my experience, the reasons are many and varied.

As Rikki has said in another post, we’re getting back to TN’s original ethos, so those who don’t like it are respectfully invited to have a think and then make a choice.

This whole recent kerfuffle has resulted from a slacker style of Modding, in which the trust placed in people was abused and completely trashed by some posters. This serves to prove a couple of old sayings… 1.) if you give some people an inch, they’ll take a mile and 2.) the other saying that some drivers spoil things for themselves. Both of which have been well and truly proven.

robroy:
My personal opinion is there are at least 3 a/holes on here I can think of that should have been given the boot WELL before Beav and ND, but it’s Rikki’s ‘ball’ and he lets us play with it with him.

I’m just trying to figure out how far up I am on your list of three :neutral_face:

dieseldave:
I’ll guarantee that nobody has been banned.

I’m glad robroys “MMTM” was unfounded, whilst I don’t always agree with nd’s or eb’s views I certainly have no issues with either of them and wouldn’t want them gone.

dieseldave:
I’m not so sure about the chopper, because I’ll guarantee that nobody has been banned.

Sometimes, posters choose not to post, but in my experience, the reasons are many and varied.

As Rikki has said in another post, we’re getting back to TN’s original ethos, so those who don’t like it are respectfully invited to have a think and then make a choice.

This whole recent kerfuffle has resulted from a slacker style of Modding, in which the trust placed in people was abused and completely trashed by some posters. This serves to prove a couple of old sayings… 1.) if you give some people an inch, they’ll take a mile and 2.) the other saying that some drivers spoil things for themselves. Both of which have been well and truly proven.

Got a pm off another member Dave, that told me Eagerbeaver had got the chop, are you saying he hasn’t ?
Must have got it wrong then mate.
Got to say I.was sick of hearing the troll accusations, and all the rest of it, but the bullying ?..where did that come from?
I suppose these stricter rules put us all at risk, but if everybody is holding back in fear of either offending somebody and getting reported or whatever, trying to keep the balance right, or just saying the wrong thing that Rikki interprets as ott,… do you not think it will spoil an otherwise good forum.

Btw Reef, you certainly were not included in my (secret :smiley: ) list.

Just noticed Dave while you’re on…
There are about 4 threads on here where we are all asking the same questions on the same subject.

dieseldave:
This whole recent kerfuffle has resulted from a slacker style of Modding, in which the trust placed in people was abused and completely trashed by some posters.

Sorry but that’s not strictly correct is it, the recent “kerfuffle” resulted from a slacker style of moderating which was the result of there not being enough mods to do the job properly.

Up until I quit as a moderator last week there was just 3 full mods and yourself regularly moderating, and as far as I could see one of those mods only generally moderates discussions he’s taking part in, that left just 3 people to moderate most of the board.

Obviously trolls are always going to be a problem to any busy forum, but that problem will never be negated by ignoring the real problem of too few active moderators to do a decent job.

I’m not trying to have a pop by the way, just putting the record straight about why the recent nonsense was, in my opinion at-least, allowed to happen.

I joined the truckers round table in 2002, then Trucknet, lost my login, rejoined :smiley: . Look back at posts from 2005 and it was real different. Good banter; yet people spoke the same way they would a stranger face to face. Good banter and chat even up until a couple of years ago (with the odd plea thrown in). Not sure what happened.

This last year wasn’t good for a forum, well not one that values a hard fought reputation.

Rather than worrying about it being sanitised be prepared how readily all this’ll soon be forgotten and it becoming same tired old trend again.

Freight Dog:
Look back at posts from 2005 and it was real different. Good banter; yet people spoke the same way they would a stranger face to face. Good banter and chat even up until a couple of years ago (with the odd plea thrown in). Not sure what happened.

I think everything has changed mate since 2005, and beyond that.
The job, people, good manners, tolerance, attitudes on the road, truckers, me, to name but a few.
Whole of society has changed course, and not always for the good either.
Christ…I sound old saying all that. :blush: :smiley:

The lack of time by volunteers isn’t something we can control, each moderator only gives what they can, there has never been any expectation of a minimum amount of time they should contribute. However I do take the point that we allowed the self policing to go to far, as is evident by some of the comments in this forum from less usually vocal members about how they felt when asking for genuine advice and getting ridiculed.

The blame for this sits entirely on myself, Dave and the active moderator team have done a great job given the lack of support from above (me). I have a call tomorrow where I will make the case that I need to reduce my hours on some projects to devote more time to supporting the admin team here.

I will say and make it very clear to the members here whatever the outcome of that call is, we will not allow this forum to descend again into the toxic environment it had become.

So, we can all blame you then can we Rikki? :grimacing:

<~~ well as far as TruckNet goes this is where the buck stops

robroy:

Freight Dog:
Look back at posts from 2005 and it was real different. Good banter; yet people spoke the same way they would a stranger face to face. Good banter and chat even up until a couple of years ago (with the odd plea thrown in). Not sure what happened.

I think everything has changed mate since 2005, and beyond that.
The job, people, good manners, tolerance, attitudes on the road, truckers, me, to name but a few.
Whole of society has changed course, and not always for the good either.
Christ…I sound old saying all that. :blush: :smiley:

Rob, words right out of my mouth mate. You know I was thinking that after I posted. You’re dead right. I think behaviour has changed with social media. It’s become like an outlet for People’s inner little monster. A sort of Roman pleasure dome. Most people can keep that in check, it is the rougues who run amoc.

I’m sure there’s generic forums that cater for people behaving like weirdos. Trucknet being an industry forum does have a sense of self pride. Most sensible members are aware it holds up a mirror to their own self pride about their image they portray within the industry. So there’s cracking banter, yet a lot know when to draw the line and know how to be helpful. In short, a lot do still post as if they were speaking to a real person they’ve never met.

And I think it’s valuable that Trucknet is attempting to keep its industry centered proud focus rather than allowing itself to be run to the dogs. The challenge is how. It’s not 100 percent the users. It needs the website to play it’s part. It’s a joint effort.

It’s not 100 percent the users. It needs the website to play it’s part. It’s a joint effort.

Agreed the volunteer team have and do their utmost, but as the owners we have not played our part keeping it on track- that’s something as said above I will be discussing and getting addressed

Rikki-UK:
I will say and make it very clear to the members here whatever the outcome of that call is, we will not allow this forum to descend again into the toxic environment it had become.

I’ll drink to that!

Rikki-UK:

It’s not 100 percent the users. It needs the website to play it’s part. It’s a joint effort.

Agreed the volunteer team have and do their utmost, but as the owners we have not played our part keeping it on track- that’s something as said above I will be discussing and getting addressed

Well, fair play for you saying that, but not to dwell on negatives; I’ve never seen Trucknet leadership so open to engaging. We have all shouldered the cocking-it-up, but it’s all about the forward.

I think I can safely say; anyone who remembers how good it was will be firmly behind you.

Rikki… How far are you planning to go with this.

For instance we had a traffic cop on here last week.
I am not the biggest fan of the Police in their present form and certainly not a fan of their methods.
So I gave my opinions, ok it was off topic but he came on in the capacity as Traffic Division by the very nature of his user name, so surely he would realise this would leave him open to criticism.
I did try and keep my comments constructive rather than abusive, but I noticed that both you and Dave got a bit of a bee in your bonnets about some of the stick he was getting.
Then I hear that Beaver had got the boot soon after, ok maybe beaver did not pull his punches and was a bit more blunt than me, but surely he is entitled to his opinion is he not, no matter how controversial that opinion may be.
I would have thought that was the idea of a forum tbh.

Now I aint being a smartarse here or questioning your authority, I fully understand that you make the rules, and in order for us to partake on this we need to stick to them, but this is a feedback forum and this is my feedback on some of your comments, and I have tried to make these also constructive to deter you from the ‘‘Well if you don’t like it f off’’ type answer.
Cheers Rob.

The Feedback is quite simple,

On that topic people chose to attack the poster for his job, and other things that weren’t his particular job but others that wear the same sort of uniform.

They were not addressing his post or the topic he posted but using the opportunity to express their dislike of the Police in general.

That wasn’t on topic or even fair to the poster - if you want to bash the police I am sure that ACAB.co.uk exists some where although probably under another name- that’s the place to have that conversation on here the discussion should have been the topic raised.

If he had come here and asked for all your opinion on traffic policing in general them maybe some of the posts would have been relevant - but he didn’t and instead was met by some very ignorant comments.

That conversation could have been very constructive and led onto further discussions where the Police in that area could have learnt what issues affect drivers and taken that on board, instead people could not be civil and in a couple cases became downright abusive and that door got slammed shut.

Or to put it another way

members here had the opportunity to engage in a dialogue that could have mutually benefited both , it didn’t happen because some members here could not restrain themselves and post in a civil manner

robroy:
I am not the biggest fan of the Police in their present form and certainly not a fan of their methods.
So I gave my opinions, ok it was off topic but he came on in the capacity as Traffic Division by the very nature of his user name, so surely he would realise this would leave him open to criticism.

Rob, I take your point… honestly.

However, and let’s be fair here, the (single issue) point of the topic was made very clear from the outset.

Again, right from the outset, the poster told us who he was and, to his credit, didn’t post behind a sneaky username.

OK, some banter and ridicule (within reason) was to be expected, but it went way off-topic with some wildly random crap that even The Tobemeister would have been proud of if it wasn’t so rude, and then it got downright nasty at times and in many different ways.

The thing that many of the boot-boy posters didn’t realise (and I made this point in that topic) is that the poster isn’t the person who makes policy. They couldn’t even see that when it was pointed out to them. :unamused:

I missed the post with the copper, but I think it’s a bit of a missed opportunity, if the guy ended up leaving because of abuse from drivers, it’s hardly going to sway his opinion of lorry drivers in a good way is it.

And to reiterate what I’ve suggested on other posts, you lot can help keep things on an even keel, firstly by not being a ■■■■, not pointing any fingers btw, secondly by bringing things to our attention via the report icon, as has been said, we all have full time jobs, apparently some of us have one of those life things too, although I think that’s just a rumour, so we’re not just sitting there waiting for a chance to use our magic buttons.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

dieseldave:

robroy:

Rob, I take your point… honestly.

However, and let’s be fair here, the (single issue) point of the topic was made very clear from the outset.

Again, right from the outset, the poster told us who he was and, to his credit, didn’t post behind a sneaky username.

OK, some banter and ridicule (within reason) was to be expected, but it went way off-topic with some wildly random crap that even The Tobemeister would have been proud of if it wasn’t so rude, and then it got downright nasty at times and in many different ways.

The thing that many of the boot-boy posters didn’t realise (and I made this point in that topic) is that the poster isn’t the person who makes policy. They couldn’t even see that when it was pointed out to them. :unamused:

Ok Dave, I know that particular thread did go off topic, but don’t most do that?
If you ignored the deliberate personal abuse part of it I think some valid points were put to him, he was selective what he answered, and finished off (some would say flounced off) with official Police line rhetoric, which was a bit weak I reckon.
He could have maybe put across a bit of empathy at least, and try and assure us that truck crime was in at least the top 3 priorities…he didn’t.
My gripe was he was so concerned about a bloody bill board :unamused: … when the trucks parked either side of it could have had their fuel half inched, but that was deemed as not as important.

Anyway thanks for the (usual) concise and polite explanation mate…I’ll put the copper thing to bed now, :unamused: :laughing: and move on.
Cheers.