Trucking documentary

markrhyl:

jessicas dad:

fisher:
Funny how truck drivers spend there spare time watching job related films. Wonder if warehouse workers, welders, shelfstackers etc, etc, do the same.

Yep when I was a welder you couldn’t beat watching footloose.

It was flash dance how sad am i :smiley:

:grimacing: :laughing: there we go closet fan exposed everytime.

Flash dance is a great film.

Andy smg:
I have (somewhere) the DVDs to :

Destination Doha
Truckers (Daf to Istanbul)
Spaghetti No Junction
A Run For Your Money
Southall Twilight

They were all a good watch as I recall.
Must get round to clearing that loft out… :blush: :blush:

Think I have them ones got destination doha from old pond the rest from eBay.
There was a thing about the guy doing Italy in the ford on the old time thread saying how he screwed the job up for the regulars in the run as he broadcast the situation with dodgy permits and bribes etc.
The powers that be over the water took a dim veiw and scrutinised everything after that.
Also they had a screening at a London cinema for various people before broadcast and he was asked to come in his truck which by this time was an f88 which he got stuck under the canopy of the theatre.

Phil Bunch gave me a copy of this DVD a couple of years ago.
Alan’s transport manager Bob Matthews is the mate that I did our first two trips to Baghdad with in '75.

I’m sure southall twilight has a couple of films and one was a promotional film for the leyland marathon starring ■■■■ rivers of destination Doha fame and the actor geoge Layton.

Great watch, stuff I noticed :

1. No hi-viz and I could see every body !
  2. Not one Murfitts truck anywhere !
  3. The Mammoet Tilt was still in use a year ago !
  4. Alan’s got a nice wig !
  5. Not a requirment to have a speed limiter as you can see him doing 70 !
  6. 70,000 owner operators in the UK, maybe 7,000 now !
  7. The EU wont affect UK truck business… hmmmmm, oh yeah I can see that here in 2012.
    :sunglasses: Chaos at Hull, nowt new there then.
  8. It takes ages to get your paper work, in 2012 we have computers that make all that simpler…but still no quicker !

Don’t quote me kerbdog, but I think there were some murfitts trailers at raleigh when the tug was reversing the drag trailer off the bay

The drivers were probally round the car park bashing crap out of each other. :smiley: :smiley:

kr79:
The drivers were probally round the car park bashing crap out of each other. :smiley: :smiley:

Only if there were big wheels and little wheels in the same place… :laughing: :laughing:

m.a.n rules:
just come across a documentary about an o/d in the mid eighties on youtube cracking watch. i dont know how to do all that linking stuff, but if you type in. on yer bike early trucking documentary, it will come up… enjoy.

Great find, well done enjoyed it thanks. Keep them coming.

An interesting video & thanks for posting it.

Great stuff! What struck me was how old and drab everything looked even though it was only about 25 years ago, looked like something out of Communist Eastern Europe.
All that arseing about with paperwork and border crossings and the 200 Litres of fuel in Germany, what a pain in the backside.
The talk of the Channel Tunnel and it’s effect on the ferry business was interesting and I thought I recognised the Norsun having been on the Pride of Bruges on my motorbike a few times.
They do say the past is another country.

Good find! Thanks for posting!

WildGoose:
I wonder if we youngsters will look back on things in the same way.

Definitely! At 36 I don’t suppose i’m a youngster any more, but I still reminisce with mates I used to work with about driving '87 FL10’s, and days before smartphones and being able to Google addresses, or satnavs, or a lot of the places we used to park no more than about 10 years ago being built on etc etc etc!

Fantastic thanks for that, brought back some real good memories…He wasnt the only one to tip germany then reload Italy… :cry: :cry:

Also glad to hear the fortunate news that he was one of the lucky few (seemingly around 1.5 million) drivers that would’ve ordinarily been on ‘The Herald’, but managed to avoid it by having a blowout/snapping a red line/booking a dental appointment/catching crabs. Although this being one of the earliest examples I’ve heard, and the fact that he was actually doing those runs at the time, I guess he’s a much more credible source than some :wink:

Great watch, thankyou!!!

Anyone see how much 123 litres of diesel cost him??

Roger Breaker:
Also glad to hear the fortunate news that he was one of the lucky few (seemingly around 1.5 million) drivers that would’ve ordinarily been on ‘The Herald’, but managed to avoid it by having a blowout/snapping a red line/booking a dental appointment/catching crabs. Although this being one of the earliest examples I’ve heard, and the fact that he was actually doing those runs at the time, I guess he’s a much more credible source than some :wink:

I laughed too, as I watched that on Monday afternoon, because that morning there were 3 drivers in our yard talking about missing it. One missed it by 5 boats (I didn’t question if that sailed the previous day), and his mate had a puncture at the dock gate (again I didn’t question why he didn’t limp on the boat to sort in dover), whilst the other missed it because his mother in law won 50k at the bingo the week before, they went for a meal and he got ■■■■■■ so shipped a day late and got to zeebee the next day :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:

Roger Breaker:

I laughed too, as I watched that on Monday afternoon, because that morning there were 3 drivers in our yard talking about missing it. One missed it by 5 boats (I didn’t question if that sailed the previous day), and his mate had a puncture at the dock gate (again I didn’t question why he didn’t limp on the boat to sort in dover), whilst the other missed it because his mother in law won 50k at the bingo the week before, they went for a meal and he got ■■■■■■ so shipped a day late and got to zeebee the next day :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Brilliant stuff!

If you not seen it this is the Davies Turner driver documentary from the 90’s going from the Uk to Turkey.