Trucking documentary

And no hi-viz in sight,that telephone was class lol reminds me of been young riding shotgun and Steve avin to pull up to use a telephone box,I take my hat off to you all that drove pre mobile phone size of a cig packet

philberg182:
That would be a good idea, somewhere you could post a link to a film/documentary.

Does anyone remember a documentary of a lad with a Davies Turner trailer and I think possibly a Transcon. I was only a kid and I can’t remember what truck or where he was going :blush: . Tried to find it but no success

As said the Davies turner one was the bloke in the 95. The transcon one was “the road runner” with the truck magazine t shirt, who took the container to Italy. One was called a run for the money, not sure which one though

Volvofh16:
I take my hat off to you all that drove pre mobile phone size of a cig packet

To be fair it had it’s advantages as well as disadvantages, it could be a pain trying to find a call box when you needed one, but at the same time the gaffer couldn’t be on the phone to you every five minutes either :wink:

I remember having one of those “car phones” in an sk merc service was crap and it didn’t work outside uk but I thought I was the dogs doodles! Oh how quickly things change.

bigtruck:
The Davies Turner one was some complete tool from Bristol doing ‘Instanbul’ in a 95, think it was only ever on TV but someone else might know better

Yes I remember that around the mid nineties and he did come across as a bit of a tool!!
[/quote]
There was one about an o/d with a Transcon running to Itie called “a run for your money”
He came across as a bit of a knob aswell.
Think the one about the D/T driver was called “Truckers”?

bigtruck:
The Davies Turner one was some complete tool from Bristol doing ‘Instanbul’ in a 95, think it was only ever on TV but someone else might know better

Yes I remember that around the mid nineties and he did come across as a bit of a tool!!
[/quote]
i’v got that somewhere copied onto dvd, if i can find it i’ll put it up on youtube

Hi lads,
All those documentary’s and short films your all on about, can be found on e-bay.
I bought them all off one seller for a measley sum of about a tenner a couple of years ago.
Just type in destination doha, and this seller comes up, send him a message about what else he has and he’ll send you a list, and even a short discription of what its about.
My favourite is one about an irish driver with a fridge goes from southern ireland to italy in the late 60s its black and white, and he’s driving a Merc 1626, the square ones before the SK models.

I have (somewhere) the DVDs to :

Destination Doha
Truckers (Daf to Istanbul)
Spaghetti No Junction
A Run For Your Money
Southall Twilight

They were all a good watch as I recall.
Must get round to clearing that loft out… :blush: :blush:

Enjoyed that.

When trucks were wood, and men were steel. Them were the days. :laughing:

I wonder if we youngsters will look back on things in the same way.

Yep.Economy was booming then

spot on mate :wink:

m.a.n rules:
just come across a documentary about an o/d in the mid eighties on youtube cracking watch. i dont know how to do all that linking stuff, but if you type in. on yer bike early trucking documentary, it will come up… enjoy.

Thanks for posting, this was excellent really enjoyed that :smiley: :smiley:

chris:

m.a.n rules:
just come across a documentary about an o/d in the mid eighties on youtube cracking watch. i dont know how to do all that linking stuff, but if you type in. on yer bike early trucking documentary, it will come up… enjoy.

Thanks for posting, this was excellent really enjoyed that :smiley: :smiley:

i’m glad you all enjoyed it. i thought alan came across as a genuine bloke, gave no crap,took no crap.

Night heater! Luxury, I used to do continental in the same wagon and when I asked for my heater to be fixed the answer was “it’s bloody warmer in Europe so you don’t need one”
Not in France in winter it wasn’t.

A few things ain’t changed. Lazy brit workers, lack of facilities here but not abroad, planners faffing you about etc. A couple of nice things were not a tail gater in site, pre limiter, and I didn’t see one hi viz! And what about the corporate bs from that commercial motor bloke, the truckers have nothing to worry about with the open boarders. The truckers knew, as usual. On a lighter note, it was nice to put a face to carryfast, that was him on the p&o picket line at dover, wasn’t it? :wink: :laughing:

Funny how truck drivers spend there spare time watching job related films. Wonder if warehouse workers, welders, shelfstackers etc, etc, do the same.

fisher:
Funny how truck drivers spend there spare time watching job related films. Wonder if warehouse workers, welders, shelfstackers etc, etc, do the same.

I’ve seen all their vids on a Tesco induction course :wink: :laughing:

No speed limiters in those days…& the wonderful Rhienbollen Truckers Teller!

fisher:

Yep when I was a welder you couldn’t beat watching footloose.

jessicas dad:

fisher:

Yep when I was a welder you couldn’t beat watching footloose.

It was flash dance how sad am i :smiley: