TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

What were you driving for Phill then Dave ? ,not that old LHD ,ERF.

Hi Kerbut. Yes started with KRH153P. Once we’d changed the gearbox she’d pass anything going up Cherbourg hill.

r slicker:
was that one genuine tax disc and 5 photocopies ■■ :laughing: :laughing:

frank and carrie say hello and ask is it true that gavin is in canada now ■■.

I’ll make a few calls and find out Bri :wink:

Oh and No it was 5 genuine ones, One for a Scania and 4 from Vauxhall Vivas :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Doing Spain in those days was addictive, I still have withdrawall symptoms.

Does anybody remmebr the military coup in Barcelona around 1981■■
I remember rolling into Barcelona in the early hours with absolutely nothing on the road and wondering why it was so quiet.
Then a few tanks came rumbling alongside and very kindly informed us there was a cerfew and we should not be there - or words to that effect!
We had to park up - like straight away - draw the curtains and stay put til morning.
To this day I have no idea what that was all about.

I,m sure somebody will tell you.There will be hundreds of drivers who were all there on the very same night.Or am I just being cynical.

Mothertrucker:

Doing Spain in those days was addictive, I still have withdrawall symptoms.

Does anybody remmebr the military coup in Barcelona around 1981■■
I remember rolling into Barcelona in the early hours with absolutely nothing on the road and wondering why it was so quiet.
Then a few tanks came rumbling alongside and very kindly informed us there was a cerfew and we should not be there - or words to that effect!
We had to park up - like straight away - draw the curtains and stay put til morning.
To this day I have no idea what that was all about.

cant say i recall the spanish coup, but i was parked at the customs in lisbon when it was opposite the main railway station, i cant remember the year ,mid 70s ,similar sort of thing ,military everywhere ,i recall it was a saturday morning and all the drivers had to stay with the trucks until an ■■■■■■ system to the docks was sorted, there were trucks from all over europe there ,germans, scandinavians, spanish, french as well as a few english and irish. everybody was taken to the docks and parked up along with tourists ,we were told the borders crossings were closed and the only way out of the country was by ferry, southern ferries i think they were called, to southampton. the european drivers were going ballistic ,after all why should a spanish driver want to go home via uk? but all the shouting and waving arms made no difference ,that was the only way. i sat on the dock eight days waiting for a place on the boat. southampton was entertaining as well when the companies who did not have an account with the ferry had the vehicles impounded until the bill was paid. i was driving at the time for promotor and that was the one occassion i got to come back empty.

That is Collins truck,he did russia,kazakiskstan,Uzbekiskistan in the 90s. There are some more pics in the Kazak thread. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50780

Danne

IM BACK !
WELL…NOT QUITE… :confused:

Lemonmouth has kindly allowed me into his secret room, for a quicky on the puter.
He feels so sorry for me. He sees me pulling me hair out and took pity :wink:
I see him at work, and he tells me all the latest goss and what pics are posted.
Makes me feel REALLY REALLY GOOD…NOT!

Anyway the old puter needs another week in the workshops for the re-build.
Bare with me everyone, “ill be back” soon (austrian accent).

“Hang on a minute Lemonmouth”. What do you mean time up?"… :smiling_imp:
“Go on, let me have 5 more minutes on here” :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

see you all soon. TRUCKERASH

DaveL:
Hi Kerbut. Yes started with KRH153P. Once we’d changed the gearbox she’d pass anything going up Cherbourg hill.

TRUCKERASH here again… whispering so Lemonmouth dont hear me: :wink:

I got piccys of KRH, with tilt on in Dover.
maybe Lemonmouth will let me post um? Spose it’ll cost me :unamused:

put um asap lads. :wink:

Thats it, he’s comin back…gotta go.

TRUCKERASH

Dirty Dan:
That is Collins truck,he did russia,kazakiskstan,Uzbekiskistan in the 90s. There are some more pics in the Kazak thread. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50780

Danne

The colour scheme on that unit looks like it could be ex MFP ?

DaveL:
In 1983 I started for P.G Horridge road traction out of Poole.We did work for R&G Maritime,Aquilla,MAT & Interoute.Other firms I remember from Poole,Bernie Kellaway,Colin Duffett Cecil Compton,ECT.
Dave Ketteringham from Phil’s drives a tanker from round St Genis nowadays.
The big ELF Truckstop at Barbezieu on the N10 is Claudes.I believe St Genis is run by a Dutchman but still belongs to Claude.

DaveL
I wonder whats keeping Ketty there then, nothing to do with Claudes Then !!! ?

Spardo,David

The routier at Pons ,is that the one on the Z.I. ?

kerbut
I met a driver a couple of years ago who is a neighbour of his.
Claudes involved? What could you mean?

ash or anyone else have pics of the motors belonging to taffy davis driven by the guy that wrote baghdad trucker.and does anyone have any a s taylor pics i could use on the company website. cheers :wink:

truckerash:
nice to read all the chat lads. bringin back a few good memories for me.
time to put a few more pics on then:
heres one for you Ian, Promotor F12 with a South African driver, if I remember correctly, his name was George.

Heres the Hercock roadtrain “Roman” in his F12

and how many of you knew Hercocks did a bit of heavy haulage?

this is how Hercocks ended up for those who didnt recognise the Derby and White name

Leggetts was another regular i used to see. Was amusing to see the Volvo F12’s and f89’s “waiting” for the SLACK ATKI’s to catch up!
dont know where this was taken, reckon it was somewhere in Swiss.
Anyone have a clue?

and now a few more to jog yer memories…
who remembers FERRY FRIGHTNING ?

Swains with a French reg 111 and Martintrux, night shot at Dover

Early David Croome F12 especially for JJ72. Croomy had a Mack, ill have to sort that 1 out and post it if anyones interested?

and finally one of my favorite outfits, PATRICKS. They always had top o the range kit. This F88 wagon and drag is a cracker!
now owned by Rogers who have also recently taken KENTVALE over as well.

so, am i putting too many photos on here? Do you guys want to see more?
Or should I be thinking about a book…[/b]

i have heard recently that roman who was also called angie of hercocks has recently passed away

kerbut:
Spardo,David

The routier at Pons ,is that the one on the Z.I. ?

No mate, you take the N137 north from Pons for about 8kms and it is right on top of one of those hills on the southbound side. There is adequate but not ample parking on both sides of the road. There is another one a few kms further on that I always saw much visited, at the village of La Jard I think, but never tried it out myself. Roadside parking only.

this is a short diary i did of a trip to verona as a kid with my old next door neighbour in the late 80,s its been in the euro forum a while know but as this topic is so popular id thought id put it in here cheers :wink:
italy and back
id not heard from my mate spud for a while and one saturday morning he turned up in a volvo F6 and asked if id like to go to verona in the school holidays so i said yeah so he said i,ll see ya in a few weeks.so off i goes to get my 6 month passport as you could back then from the post office a little bit of folded card with a pic of me on it.spud picked me up on a wednesday morning and we headed for dover now i must ad that he told me we would be going in a scania 143 his new truck but it never came so italy here we come in the volvo dragging a stepframe box full of furniture for a cannock company furnishings italia.at dover we had to wait in the wheelhouse cafe for our number to come up to get our papers t forms for swiss etc .them sorted we wait to board the townsend thoresen ferry.boarded and up stairs for dinner in the truckers only resturant i was in my element listening to where all these guys were going and i knew i had to be a continental lorry driver.we get into calais and off to customs and spud slips the man a few french francs for his coffee and were away with no fuss
france was brill i experienced my first routiers only a small place but the food and the people were great and an added bonus they showed woman with there breasts out on tv adverts top stuff
now spud didnt like stopping so when we did it was in a layby and it wernt a 9 hour break either.we trundled through france down to basel in switzerland and that part of france nearing the franco swiss border is amazing mountains valleys lush green fields id never seen anything like it and that poor old F6 dragged us up them mountains and never missed a beat.at the border our trailer was inspected and they found the hinge pins on the trailer doors were not good enough to transit swiss ::)so they sent us round to a haulage company and spud had to pay to get em welded. back to the border and everything is checked given the ok and were away, now swiss is a lovley clean country and fantastic scenery but boy was it expensive.we didnt stop in swiss spud had a unusual attitude to tachos he seemed to like using them as frisbies :slight_smile:anyway we made chiasso in the evening and it were raining in fact a bloody massive thunderstorm with lightning that went across the sky .anyway border formalties out the way and milan here we come we climbed out of the border and the road is on stilts and once at the top you look down on the parking area
we carried on through the storm and called it a day at some services now spud let me have the bunk and he slept across the seats but unbeknown to him he had kicked on the catwark light and it nailed the batteries so in the morning he gave a swedish driver some packets of ■■■■ for a jump start .next stop verona we go to verona and we met the guy that owned the company at his house as thats were we refuelled he had a fuel pump in an old red telephonebox on his yard/drive we dropped our trailer there and followed him bobtail to the customs yard where our trailer for england was waiting to be cleared.because of the delays we,d had spud had to get back to england pronto.spud dropped me off at the end of my street at 10.30pm on the saturday so we,d done verona and back in 4 days :wink:that was the last time i saw spud and that were 17 years ago.since passing my class one ive been to france germany belgium luxembourg and holland i never did do italy but if i get chance to i,ll do that route

Carl:
i know kw im not right in the head :open_mouth: but ive always had a soft spot for the f7 the best one ive seen belongs to trevor pye

my da used to drive one for a bit and even went as far as algiers in one from ireland and used to do a regular run from killybegs to brittany in one,struggled to keep up though when he was in a “convoy”,. one day he was on his way back from algiers and had not long arrived in the uk delivering to bham market, just as he was pulling in there was one almighty bang underneath the engine hump, he got out and he saw a large whole in the engine!it was stuffed! not meant for long distance i guess! but a class truck of its time

This is a bit before the eighties bit more like the 60s, Buzzer

110210431_3251833818217785_8424420757492625297_n.jpg

Any one know where this watering hole is, Buzzer

113313378_3272333042834529_2771029789811259476_n (2).jpg