Trailer lengths

Quick question about lengths of trailers is, I use 8m,10m and 13m trailers I’ve reciently got a satnav so I can input the length of the truck, does those trailer lengths include the truck or just the trailer thanks

Ilxsmithy123:
Quick question about lengths of trailers is, I use 8m,10m and 13m trailers I’ve reciently got a satnav so I can input the length of the truck, does those trailer lengths include the truck or just the trailer thanks

Total length.

Total internal length. 13m trailer plus tractor unit is normally 16m

no1dieselman:

Er no …

Bumper to bumper.

biggriffin:

no1dieselman:

Er no …

Bumper to bumper.

Are you sure about that? How would the 5th wheel setting be known?

Its the trailer length only the unit will add approx another 3 metres to the total length. It’s the same as running height when the 5th wheel height may vary from unit to unit.

Ferry operators know it’s bumper to bumper; and so do Belgian cops on the make :wink:

For the tangs amongst us it’s bull bar to bumper :grimacing:

I’ll put in meerkat terms.

When you go down a road that says 22’foot max, with your 21’foot trailer, and get stuck, because you seem to think the bit on the front doesn’t need adding to the total length, give me a call. Again it’s bumper to bumper.

For sat nav terms of course it’s bumper to bumper, you wouldn’t set the vehicle height on one by measuring trailer floor to trailer roof! (Well, you’d only do it once!)

All you smart arses read the original question again. He was asking what the trailer length includes. Convention dictates that the trailer is classified by it’s internal length so the length of trailer and tractor unit will be more. If in any doubt measure