The humble Ford D series

Ford 0710 1981 that we owned from about 1986 to late 90s. Reliable little truck that would always start.
Used to tweak back the fuel for the test and switch off at the test centre whilst queuing.
Brakes always seemed difficult to adjust level.
We cut and altered the luton with a front gate and lifting floor to tilt the cab. Cab tilted in less than 5 mins.
The Ford was fitted with an unusual air assisted power steering. Slightly quirky to drive on a roundabout as with very small movement there was not any assistance then if you hauled the wheel a bit the assistance would slightly grab!

8F319487-5EB5-4D4B-92D8-664F1CE0EA2A.jpeg

robthedog:

I saw this picture on a program about the bad winter of 1962/3, but noticed this looks like a '66 reg motor. I started on for Hartwells Oils in Oxford in that winter, but we had Thames Traders & BMC’s (Austin/Morris) Every customer, Pretty well, were so grateful to see us & many times it was a struggle to get through, with a lot of shoveling snow involved! It was very different the next winter though. :unamused:

CS

Cc

Looking a bit tired…

OhIP.jpg

Caffeine

This one lived over the border in Great Yarmouth but was allegedly converted by Hammonds of Halesworth. I know some ex Hammonds lads will ask them if they know anything about it. Credit for picture go’s to Ian on Flickr.
flickr.com/photos/22041090@ … 4xm-e5Frsh

Regards
Daz

Digging this one up again - I think it might be the same vehicle that I saw under construction in Hammond’s workshop in the late 1970’s. At the time, as I said, the D-series cab was rigged up behind the engine as though the vehicle was going to be normal control with a bonnet, but maybe they changed their mind and mounted it over the engine instead.

Netherlands.

our 1114 mnv890v with its drawbar attached , usually carried mobile homes , but on this occasion a couple of fletcher speed boats are the load.

tony

tonyj105:
our 1114 mnv890v with its drawbar attached , usually carried mobile homes , but on this occasion a couple of fletcher speed boats are the load.

tony

That looks a bit more than the average speed boat on the main bed!

027294e945b84b736ab8eed8bc72e298--the-album-sheffield.jpg

I haven’t seen much devoted to the D series on the forum.
I had alot to do with them back in the late 70’s early 80’s and I have to say that I liked them.

My old Dad had alot to do with them from day one and his experiences with the early ■■■■■■■ engines fitted in them put him off ■■■■■■■ for life!

What memories do you have of them and how many pics can we find got to post of them.
Any six wheel tippers would be especially welcome.

Cheers
Mark

I drove a D series Ford six wheeler tipper for C M Philpotts of Kington now and again, when the regular driver was ill or on holiday, it had the ford 360 turbo engine and grossed 20 ton in 1970, payload was just over 13 ton, it was one of two which the firm ran, it was fairly new when I drove it and went well, quite good to drive in those days with a five speed gearbox and a two speed axle. Considering that they were a cheap lorry they went well, my regular lorry was a Bedford KM which pulled like a train, but was a bit old fashioned compared to the Ford.

The humble Ford D series,thats the custom cab one innit,
Sure it is,back in the early sixties we use to see these dark army green coloured lorries loaded and sheeted,seemed to be
always on the M2 24hrs,somebody found out later it was FORD trialing a new type of lorry,with a FORWARD CONTROL cab
different to the Thames Trader ,these lorries used go from Dagenham,east London to Margate or Ramsgate
Kent to and fro 24hrs,about 2 yrs i think,always seemed to be flat out throttlewise not speeding though,
Odd really,later on when i was old enough over 21,it was the first lorry i drove,new one 1967 reg, 3ton 4cwt empty i think? not too bad a drive,drove it about a year,could have got to drive hgvs automatically,on that experience of driving over the 3 ton mark as was then,i think was the norm.

My first experience of a D series Ford, was a 1965 16t gvw flat bed,as a drivers mate. It was bought off the local brewery,hired back to them in the summer months, and ran on general haulage the rest of the time.I can not remember doing much work to it, and selling on for more than we paid for it.
When it comes to driving one I had a 6 wheel tipper 24,390 gvw, with a perkins 540 V8,and eaton 2 speed rear axle.It was S reg,and came second hand off an owner driver who worked her hard in the quarries.The only fault I had was the brakes,the very same brakes that allowed a previous driver to use the truck ahead of him to bring him to a stop,the result being a new cab was needed.
This was where my good fortune came in,as the replacement came off an ex Silcox +Coiling tractor unit which was a custom cab,upholstered right through. It came with wider tyres which were transferred over,and with a locally made K+J Withey steel body looked the part,and stood out with the fibreglass roof cover with head board,made her stand tall,especially as it was painted in Deri blue and belonged to Alan Price + Sons.
It was a good performer on and off road,but weighed in at a heavy 8,800 kgs, but would out pull two V reg motors with road ranger 4+4 gear boxes.You had to respect the 2 speed,but if you used it correctly you could split up and down as you went up the box,and believe it or not that perkins would sing.But like most Welsh singers she did like to drink a bit,oil that is, not Allbright but was well maintained and gave long service.
Paul.

the first lorry i drove was a1975 ford d1614 with a 360 turbo and a 6 speed box i had that lorry for 5 years i had problems with headgaskets and it did have a works exchange engine but still had problems but that ford worked hard and coverd a lot of miles allways loaded it was a nice lorry to drive with good mirrors for that time at the same time my father drove an earlier model a d1000 that one had the same engine but had a turner 5 speed gearbox and a 2 speed axle and would climbe a side of a mountain and also a good turn of speed on the flat

The first new truck I drove as a young lad was a D series Custom cab 360 turbo with an Eaton 2 speed axel on general haulage, I was chuffed to bits with it after some of the old stuff I had been driving. In it’s day it was a nice truck to drive. I had it for 3 years and did a lot of miles in it and with no major problems I was sorry to see it go.