The humble Ford D series

Looks like the same kind of units that a steel drum maker Rheemco ? used to run.
Think they were from the Brizzle ariel

not the best photo in the world but the blue one is of my dads first Ford D series and first artics , he bought 3 tractors and 6 trailers if i remember correctly , JFD914D , GFD257D , think the third might have been GFD256D, 2nd hand from a company called Revo, they all had the ratchet handbrake in the dashboard. they gave good service , he bought shed loads of Ford D’s from then on until the last one MNV890V in 1979 which is the rigid with the mobile home on , off to frejus.

Sued head,
Hi,
Rheemco were at Silverthorn Lane in Bristol, used to deliver steel coil there from Port Talbot steelworks many
moons ago.
Regards Mr Steel

Ford D series 1965.

ford d 651.PNG

ford d 652.PNG

I recently purchased a book on the history of Reliant and I hadn’t realised that they made the fibreglass cabs for the D series export models. They also made the sleeper cab’s for the home market.

Pete.

tonyj105:
not the best photo in the world but the blue one is of my dads first Ford D series and first artics , he bought 3 tractors and 6 trailers if i remember correctly , JFD914D , GFD257D , think the third might have been GFD256D, 2nd hand from a company called Revo, they all had the ratchet handbrake in the dashboard. they gave good service , he bought shed loads of Ford D’s from then on until the last one MNV890V in 1979 which is the rigid with the mobile home on , off to frejus.

Hi Tony,
Those 3 x D Series units would have been supplied by Guest Motors and Revo manufactured a lot of products but lamposts being their main product, the factory in Tipton is long gone but their was a set of gates still displaying their name until a few years ago, bit of worthless info for you! Cheer’s Pete

image.jpgA couple of handball loads in south west Portugal 1996.

Eddie Heaton:
0A couple of handball loads in south west Portugal 1996.

But light work really. It’s cork.

Dipster:

Eddie Heaton:
0A couple of handball loads in south west Portugal 1996.

But light work really. It’s cork.

Who would have thought you would be wearing Bamboo underpants by 2021 :stuck_out_tongue:

Not my pics :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoops

Not my picture

I once had a job booked for the Personal Effects of the American Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, (circa 1975) it was a wooden Crate not far short of the size of a 20’ ISO container.

I kept telling the [zb] that had booked the job that he would have to wait until I had space for his box, but he (rather like Boris Johnson was a habitual liar) had promised the USA that the box was already on its way.

So in order to help him out, I hired a (What then was an under 3 ton) D series Ford and persuaded my shortest driver to take it to Saudi on the promise he would be flown home.

The box being wider than the truck body I managed to do the paperwork as an abnormal load ( Which Led To My Nickname in Felixtowe as ‘Marchandise Pondereux’)

Anyway it all worked, we flew Sid home to Borehamwood and kept the little Ford in Jeddah for a few months where it performed admirably as my/staff transport, and no doubt a good advert for Wheels Truck Rental.

Eventually, it was time to send the little Ford home, and with due care & attention it was loaded into one of our 40’ box trailers and stuck on the RORO for home, getting out of the box took some time, but it was returned to the rental co. in as good - if not better - than when we took it on hire.

I often wonder whether they ever told later hirers how far their ride had gone before them

81376394_10219558932982058_7712158742598385664_n.jpg

The Turks like their D Series & Traders

whisperingsmith:

Ben BoyrazFacebook

You’re right. I remember them well, though they were Turk-spec and built by Otosan: not D-series as we knew them. Here’s a photograph I took of one from Konya, in the coastal town of Alanya in early 1998.

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

whisperingsmith:

Ben Boyraz | Facebook

You’re right. I remember them well, though they were Turk-spec and built by Otosan: not D-series as we knew them. Here’s a photograph I took of one from Konya, in the coastal town of Alanya in early 1998.

Ro

Is that back axle a steer axle? If so when did they first come about? Can’t recall seeing a D series with the single wheel back axle before.

Kempston:

ERF-NGC-European:

whisperingsmith:

Ben Boyraz | Facebook

Ro

Is that back axle a steer axle? If so when did they first come about? Can’t recall seeing a D series with the single wheel back axle before.

Like I said, the Turk ones were their own stuff built under some sort of licence with old tooling exported IIRC - pretty much the same as all the other Turk makes (from Fiat, Chrysler, Leyland etc) - Their version of the Bathgate Leyland had Volvo engines, for instance. The rear axle didn’t steer: it was based on the same design as the German standard 25-tonner with a trailing single-wheel axle.

ERF-NGC-European:

whisperingsmith:

Ben Boyraz | Facebook

Ro

Off topic but I note in you pic the nose of one of the ubiquitous Fargo trucks that Turks also loved, most having incredibly loud horns that their drivers sounded at any possible occasion!

Ford Pierre.JPG
Wheel changing on a friend’s 1980 registered Ford D on a rough forest lane in the 1990s in the Montpellier area (South France). That truck once overturned on such a lane and, once put back on its wheels, went ahead with its working day.