The Graveyard

hilltop4:
Check out these that snapped yesterday in the Carlton & Shafton area of Barnsley yesterday…they all cut a sad image that harks back a generation.

Ford D Series flat bed, positively embedded!

Same yard, further down the track, I was reliably informed the the chap who owned both wagons, that this used to be a Ford A Series.

Different yard just down the road…a couple of ERF’s keep each other company in a bleak setting.

“Duz tha like us posh snap wagon?” was the remark from a lad who popped out of the back of this one perched high on a wall of containers…I thought he was kiddin, until I went to the back and saw more of his mates enjoying their mid morning brew. :slight_smile:

I was told that it used to be a BR Gang Welfare wagon, maybe you know diferent?

Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks for looking.

The snap wagon was registered 1/04/79 and was last due road tax 1/10 88 it was a petrol engined version try this website taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo … ution=e1s3

gunnerheskey:

fryske:
[/url]

Hi fryske, That F12 wrecker looks like a leicester reg, its slightly obscured but i’m sure its YJU, there were quite a few YJU volvo’s around the leicester area.

Not sure about the history of it, mate – it’s in Norfolk now

The chap said that that they had had the wagon running, and it was original mileage…someone who knows what there on with would be a good project.

Paul John:

Muckaway:

hilltop4:

“Duz tha like us posh snap wagon?” was the remark from a lad who popped out of the back of this one perched high on a wall of containers…I thought he was kiddin, until I went to the back and saw more of his mates enjoying their mid morning brew. :slight_smile:

I was told that it used to be a BR Gang Welfare wagon, maybe you know diferent?

Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks for looking.

I’d say either BR van or British Telecom engineers’ van-I’m sure BT had Sherpas of that era though.

It is a BR maintenance crew van. the body work is built to their spec.
The number plates look original, and on a T plate 1979/80, was probably one of the last FGs supplied. They had Leyland Terriers after that.
Closer inspection would be needed, but it wouldn’t take to much work to get that up and running.

Over the years my father ran a good number of FGs with fridge bodies. Cheap and easy to maintain, and reliable motors in their day.
A diferent but nice project for restoration!

Paul

fryske:

gunnerheskey:

fryske:
[/url]

Hi fryske, That F12 wrecker looks like a leicester reg, its slightly obscured but i’m sure its YJU, there were quite a few YJU volvo’s around the leicester area.

Not sure about the history of it, mate – it’s in Norfolk now

it looks like one off chas drapers grain haulage of south wigston leicester but it could be one of fred sherwoods not to shaw witch

Just a few pics of a ford D1000 that I picked up from just outside bath to deliver to an enthusiast who was going to try to restore it

PIC00046.jpg

PIC00042.jpg

PIC00041.jpg

martc:
Just a few pics of a ford D1000 that I picked up from just outside bath to deliver to an enthusiast who was going to try to restore it

Hi martc :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen that old girl for a few years…did she get restored, do you know?

V8 ■■■■■■■■ Fuller gearbox AND a two-speed axle!! :smiley:

I used to work for the guy that owned it. They had a couple of them running at 28 tons gross allegedly :wink:

Thanks for putting the pics up. Great to see… :smiley:

I have no idea what happened to it as I left the UK not too long after I did that load.
I can’t even remember where I delivered it to.

T Reg Clydesdale.

A couple of no frills motors…

Saw this sat in a compound on the Bacup Road going over towards Burnley at Weir

What a waste Eh ? good british engineering left to ■■?< They were in my opinion good m old motors, I ran a one & it earned its keep every trip. Regards Larry.

hiya,
Pass through Weir regularly my brother lives 5 minutes away on the Burnley road
a bit nearer Bacup will have to open my eyes next time I pass through.
thanks harry long retired.

Hi Harry its about 1/2 mile up from the Weir pub on your left just before you hit the bend where the cottages are.

240 Gardner:
!(http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/240Gardner/KBV516NJohnBowkersmall.jpg[/img Hi mate,the pic of thiis red n white Atki lokks like it was taken in the yard belonging to the late John Bowker(Masterblast) in Leyland ? He had a few boderers and that one was probably an ex Cannings motor?)

240 Gardner:

rward:
hi 240 gardener where are those f88 please thanks rowland

Newell & Wrights’ yard in 2004

Hi Rowly, i got a call off Newell n Wright last year, they are doing one up and were looking for parts,

Stanfield:
Hi Harry its about 1/2 mile up from the Weir pub on your left just before you hit the bend where the cottages are.

hiya,
Thank you will be around Easter time the next time I’m over that way,
will keep the old headlamps skinned, will have a go at the Google also.
thanks harry long retired.

scrapper:

240 Gardner:
!(http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/240Gardner/KBV516NJohnBowkersmall.jpg[/img Hi mate,the pic of thiis red n white Atki lokks like it was taken in the yard belonging to the late John Bowker(Masterblast) in Leyland ? He had a few boderers and that one was probably an ex Cannings motor?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, that was one of 3 ex-Canning’s Borderers he had on their old site in the mid-90s, together with an AEC Mercury. After that he bought an F6 tractor off W H Bowker for shunting - it already had his name on it! There was also the sad remains of a Mk.1 Atkinson under a sheet with a collapsed cab, and which had belonged to North West Freighters at Haydock, though it had a Manx registration.

We were there because he did that blasting on our Borderer for us.)

240 Gardner:

scrapper:

240 Gardner:
!(http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/240Gardner/KBV516NJohnBowkersmall.jpg[/img Hi mate,the pic of thiis red n white Atki lokks like it was taken in the yard belonging to the late John Bowker(Masterblast) in Leyland ? He had a few boderers and that one was probably an ex Cannings motor?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, that was one of 3 ex-Canning’s Borderers he had on their old site in the mid-90s, together with an AEC Mercury. After that he bought an F6 tractor off W H Bowker for shunting - it already had his name on it! There was also the sad remains of a Mk.1 Atkinson under a sheet with a collapsed cab, and which had belonged to North West Freighters at Haydock, though it had a Manx registration.

We were there because he did that blasting on our Borderer for us.
[/quote]
240 can you give me anymore news on the FREETHS 6x4 Atki wrecker ?)

some british and a scania from finland ,regard,s benkku

shakysteve:
240 can you give me anymore news on the FREETHS 6x4 Atki wrecker ?

Not seen nor heard anything for a while, but the photos I saw showed it going back together, so I presume it’s all going ahead. I’ll see if I can find out