Thanks(where do I go from here)

Thanks to all you guys who gave advise when needed.Just to let you know that after kissing a few frogs along the way, I have found an agency to take me on and pay for any further training. :smiley:

Hi,

Welcome to Trucknet paxos.
I was speaking to a bloke on holiday and
he was a coach driver for a 11 years and
then passed is class 1 but could not get
any work because he had no experience.
so he told me how he did it and how I should
do it because of my age and lack of experience
and that’s by doing agency work to get experience
and he now works permantly for sommerfields.
so thats on option to try.

Good look :slight_smile:

Been where you are with first agency I tried. They hammered the ’ must have 2 years experience ’ but I now know that it was because they had a big contract with a firm with 3.5 tonners and wanted to palm me off with this. I am now with another agency who put me to work on class C immediately, so I suppose it’s a case of getting signed on with as many agencies as you can.
Good luck
Gordy

Go and appear at yards in person with your overnight bag in the car - get on the 'phone and start ringing round the 'phonebook . You’ll find someone somewhere who’s desperate for a load to go and will jump at the chance of taking you on, but never, ever, ever, ever, ever offer to work for free :wink: . It’ll be a hard slog to find someone to take you on and an even harder one to get in with a decent firm, but you’ll find somwhere that wants/needs to take you.

Get them fingers working :wink: .

Their is a bit of a lull right now in the agency world, but it should really pick up, sooner rather than later then they’ll be screaming for drivers like yourself for the Christmas rush.

Oh, by the way, welcome to trucknet :grimacing:.

If you can travel to Bristol get signed up to an agency there, loads of work for class 2 in Avonmouth. Ask agent if they can get you regular work, if not phone another.

Hey paxos! Dont worry about it!!! You are not in a difficult position whatsoever!!! You have a class 2 license! There are hundreds of companies out there who are screaming out for you!!! I Work with Owner drivers on a daily basis who are crying out for new young drivers or older experienced drivers! I am 22 years old just about to go in for my class 2 test! Then straight after my class 1 test. All of the drivers i speak to tell me that they would employ drivers under the age of 25 with no experience, the reason for this is because they can train you up how they want and with no bad habits like some of thre experienced driver may have. Banks Cargill employ new young drivers as do Charles Jackson. [Wheat bulk companies]. There is no end of work out there you just have to find it. Search the internet for Agencies. I did this even before booking my HGV tests to find out what agencies were looking for. I explained my age and my inexperience and they said they could give me work once i got my license straight away…thats what most of them said anyway some were a bit apprehensive. If you find the right place you may even get Class 1 work with no experience of even driving a class 2 let alone a class 1! believe me i know…i have already been offered class 1 work on Powder Tankers and i havent even done my class 2!!! Its just about finding the right company…it also helps to know the transport managers sometimes so if you work with any type of haulage companies or delivery drivers…start talking to them and asking questions!!

Good luck and welcome to trucknet form another NEW newbie!!!

The agency I work for took me on with no experience, and they’re looking for drivers (and offering me a bonus if I refer one :wink: :laughing: ). Most of the work I get is out of Avonmouth, so it’s a bit far for you, but ringing round your local agencies is probably a good bet.

If you want me to pass on your details, PM them to me.

agency is your best bet mate,plus get your ■■■ round some company’s in your area and get your name on their list.you never know you might get lucky.good luck

and welcome to trucknet :wink: :wink:

If you do go for an agency, remember to keep looking for permanent. Agnecy pay is good, but not permanent and if there is no work for them then there is no work for you!!!

Oh yep, welcome to trucknet :wink:

agency is the way to go mate, i was out the day after i passed my class 2, as for the hiab my agency put me through mine last saturday and tomorrow is my first day of hiab work for e h smith i cant wait …must remember dont touch the butterfly :blush: :blush: :blush:

Shaun, would that be EH Smith at Enderby by any chance?

that would be yes mate

As above, give some agency’s a call.
Also apply direct, either as per Liberace suggestion, or try write, which is what I do when I want some more work.
Also for less than a weeks wages you could get HIAB or ADR.
Good luck.

Paxos, why don’t you give manpower in bristol a ring, explain the situation, ie just passed eager to learn and work hard, i bet they would find you something.

Coming up to the xmas rush too, once you’ve got your foot in your in hun.

Take care and let us know hoe ya get on

Marie

P.S - i know how you feel about not being given a chance, when i got my class 2 nobody would even batter an eyelid at me, so i put in for me class 1 and went round to them all again, some of them still looked me up and down and said “no ta love, you need experience” I stumbled across an agency that gave me the break i needed, and here i am two and half years on still doing what i love. Just hang in there and bang away at the agencies daily, they’ll soon get fed up of you and offer you work just to stop you from calling…