Tesco training hgv drivers

Hi all quick post has anyone gained their hgv licence threw tesco as I see they are starting to put distribution staff threw their hgv licence in Scotland now if u have how was it

taggy24:
Hi all quick post has anyone gained their hgv licence threw tesco as I see they are starting to put distribution staff threw their hgv licence in Scotland now if u have how was it

Can’t speak for Tesco but I enquired about this with Sainbury’s and they said they no longer paying for their staff to go through HGV training, but Tesco may be different.

Where did you read that Tesco are putting staff through HGV training?

To the best of my knowledge, Tesco don’t have their own driver training organisation (do they even employ their own drivers these days?). So if they did offer such a scheme they’d simply be paying for their staff to be trained by an external provider, rather than doing any in-house training.

I’ve just started with Tesco so they do employ their own driver and in magor they are doing wear house to wheels pu putting 10 wear house staff through their Lgv license

It might the same NVQ route that my local DHL depot offers (both warehouse to wheels and Class 2 to Class 1). A year of signing off ‘training’ papers and only when completed the action can begins I believe it doesn’t cost the company a single penny as it’s all dealt with by the external training company and funded by the government. You pay £115 if you are older than 30 (test fee) and DHL requires to take holidays for the practical traing.

Rav

Not Tesco, but Asda used to pay for some warehouse staff to do their test with an external trainer. Then they stopped, as a lot of people started to pay for it themselves rather than wait for Asda to run the course again. Now Asda are using the apprenticeship scheme, so the government pay for the majority of training, cpc and tests. That’s how I’m doing my training now. Class 2 passed last week, class 1 starts on 18th November

MojoTheJester:
Not Tesco, but Asda used to pay for some warehouse staff to do their test with an external trainer. Then they stopped, as a lot of people started to pay for it themselves rather than wait for Asda to run the course again. Now Asda are using the apprenticeship scheme, so the government pay for the majority of training, cpc and tests. That’s how I’m doing my training now. Class 2 passed last week, class 1 starts on 18th November

You are correct about Asda and they’ve started to put a few employees through their paces where I work in Avonmouth.

bald bloke:

MojoTheJester:

You are correct about Asda and they’ve started to put a few employees through their paces where I work in Avonmouth.

The apprenticeship company they are using (at least in Skelmersdale) told me Asda have requested over 100 new apprentice drivers for next year too