Sutton Bank in an artic?

From age 16 me and my brother would take our dads artics at 38 tonne up and down the 1 in 4 hill to our house ,with the twin steer it was a case of set off in 2nd diff lock in and hold the mid axle dunk button down and dodge the man hole lids ,with the other trailer it was best to lift the axle too , one day my bro shot the diff lock in before he stopped and snapped the drive axle spring centre pin !

Done it quite a few times in a W&D at 44 tonne. Obviously not the same traction problems as an artic, and can get round the hairpin without crossing the white line, but would probably avoid if possible. On more than 1 occasion I’ve been following a box trailer when its missed a gear change and the loads come out the back door!!

Get yourself over to Stokesley and do the Bilsdale TT up to Helmsley. Watch out for the crazy bikers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been up with a manual a few times in the old days with no probs …as long as you got the revs right.
Once went up about 8 yrs ago with a full load of carpets (and a kooi on the back which did not help traction) got so far and she started scratting, the bast would not go up whatever I tried. :unamused:
Had to reverse so far down (which made me popular) and reverse into a lh slip road/lay by type thingy part of way up (luckily it was a left ■■■■■■) and jack knife it round to go back down.
Never been back up since as it kinda put me off, so I go around it now if I am in that area.

If there’s so much of a problem, why don’t they ban HGV’s including puddle jumpers.

It seems that its the traffic heading down the hill that is the problem. Cars not giving way etc.

peterm:
If there’s so much of a problem, why don’t they ban HGV’s including puddle jumpers.

I agree, if it’s a problem which it clearly is. (A normal road doesn’t get blocked a 100 times a year) then if there’s an alternative route, which there is, then just put an HGV ban in place. Or if that’s a bit over the top put either a weight limit in place that means rigids could still use it or ban all articulated vehicles. Few signs up, bosh, job done, problem solved.

The M1 probably gets blocked 100 times a year. Perhaps we should ban "unsuitable " HGV’s from that too?

Rowley010:
I agree, if it’s a problem which it clearly is. (A normal road doesn’t get blocked a 100 times a year) then if there’s an alternative route, which there is, then just put an HGV ban in place. Or if that’s a bit over the top put either a weight limit in place that means rigids could still use it or ban all articulated vehicles. Few signs up, bosh, job done, problem solved.

There aint really a problem going up light or empty, (or coming down it for that matter) so why is a complete artic blanket ban the answer?
I assume you drive a rigid eh ?

Weight limit with an exception for empty vehicles would suffice. Seen similar on a number of weak bridges.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

the nodding donkey:

JaxDemon:
Campaign launched to educate HGV drivers to perils of Sutton Bank | The Northern Echo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Another local rag so brim full of adverts and click bait that it won’t load properly.

Install adblock on your pc/device.

You lot have it easy…44tonne up the mountain and back down again to Colobra beach, 20km of hairpins and theres a soft drink bottling plant on one of them… :grimacing:

media.holidaycheck.com/data/url … scaled-900

Radar19:
It seems that its the traffic heading down the hill that is the problem. Cars not giving way etc.

It’s not just the hairpin, i think the bit before it is the worst bit, it stays damp and greasy because of the trees too, I’ve seen empty artic’s stuck on that bit

robroy:

Rowley010:

There aint really a problem going up light or empty, (or coming down it for that matter) so why is a complete artic blanket ban the answer?

I’ve seen an empty artic stuck and my dad pulled an empty artic up in an 11t recovery truck!

AndrewG:
You lot have it easy…44tonne up the mountain and back down again to Colobra beach, 20km of hairpins and theres a soft drink bottling plant on one of them… :grimacing:

media.holidaycheck.com/data/url … 710297.jpg

You sound like pat hasler, you should never want to sound like pat hasler!

Another one of the Serpentine down to Colobra
austria-forum.org/attach/Geograp … ntinen.jpg

robroy:

Rowley010:

Nope. I drove an artic. I’m just saying if there’s a problem and they are looking for an answer. IF there is a more suitable alternative (is there? I don’t know?) then why not make us use it? Seems an easy answer to a problem that doesn’t need to be there. If it’s not a problem like some say they why do artics get stuck there?

If it’s because car drivers coming down don’t give way then I’d say the road isn’t suitable because that will always be the case. Car drivers will always not give way so the problem will always be there.

robroy:

Rowley010:

+1 , I agree, why ban all artics ? Just ban anyone who has demonstrated their inability to get one up, from ever having another go :bulb: :wink: :laughing:
Regards. John.

old 67:

robroy:

Rowley010:

+1 , I agree, why ban all artics ? Just ban anyone who has demonstrated their inability to get one up, from ever having another go :bulb: :wink: :laughing:
Regards. John.

And while we’re at it let’s ban every motorists from the roads who has committed any traffic offence because that shows their inability to follow the rules of the road and can’t be trusted with a licence. :smiley:

SO what actually is the problem? We can’t just blame cars for not giving way because I expect sometimes they would be beyond the point where they can safely give way. There must be more to it than that?