Sutton Bank in an artic?

Pat Hasler:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Pat Hasler:
It’s a steep hill, WTF ?
What has the world come to when a driver asks what it’s like to drive up or down a hill ? … Especially empty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I really feel for some people, I usually take the pee ate the US drivers but if any of them saw this post thread they would be in fits of laughter :laughing:

I’ve never been near it, it’s the steepest hill in England and one year over 100 trucks got stuck that’s why I asked smart arse :unamused:

If they get stuck on it they have no right to hold a licence, experience counts, if you can’t use get up a hill give up, I’ll bat you use a sat nav too LOL.
Try climbing a 4,000 ft mountain in snow FFS.

+1 some drivers seem to have no idea how to drive a truck

When they see an artic it turns into [zb] houses… :wink: :laughing:

The same could be said about the truck that old 67 posted. What a plonker.

its funny that those that are not located locally are the ones waving their willys and saying be a man and do it, the local guys are either saying give it a miss or giving the advice on how to tackle it, but one thing is you dont actually see that many local hauliers using it…

I used to use it quite a bit. My loads were plastic drainage so not much weight. In the dry it’s no problem but in the wet you’ve got to get the right line on the hairpin, take a wide swing. I never went up it with any with a lot of weight so can’t really comment other than get the right gear and try to hold it all the way up. Traction was always my problem but lack of power coupled with presumably a retarded auto box will be yours.

On second thoughts, I think if I was anything approaching max weight I’d give it a miss these days. If for no other reason than mechanical sympathy.

dozy:

the maoster:

Truckulent:
I wouldn’t bother. Too many truck drivers get stuck on Sutton Bank 'cos they think taking an artic up there will make their small ■■■■■ larger.
Follow the route advice of those that wouldn’t! :slight_smile:

If a driver can’t get an empty artic in dry weather up Sutton Bank then he/she should probably hand their licence in. That isn’t some macho bull btw, just a simple statement of facts.

• 1 moaster , always went that way from Stockton - Malton , never had any issues

dle1uk:
its funny that those that are not located locally are the ones waving their willys and saying be a man and do it, the local guys are either saying give it a miss or giving the advice on how to tackle it, but one thing is you dont actually see that many local hauliers using it…

It’s not like they are attempting it with an eaton twin splitter though is it, even the supposedly underated opticruise will overcome sutton bank in auto mode.
But on second thoughts your probably right since there are loads of drivers out there who struggle to keep their truck on a straight flat road.

WH Malcolm…

Advise all their drivers to avoid it. This includes a regular delivery of reels to Scarborough from Gatenby which has to go via the A1 A59 A64.

I’m told they’ve had reels quite literally, roll out of the doors on Sutton Bank.

Their is a similar hill on the A422 not far from banbury (sun rise hill) most of our drivers wont touch it, i have been up it at full weight 44t doing about 10mph started to spin the wheels half way up, so its a case of select manual & don’t give way to now one

For the faint hearted.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9elNvwsnqU So you don’t have too.

gonzothejaffa1:
gerrit up there lad its a bit of a challenge ( stick it it manual ) its good fun :slight_smile:

Bit of a challenge if the lorry doesn’t have a manual option…

Sent using smoke and mirrors

used to go up there in the 90’s 410 erf, easy enough :grimacing: :grimacing:

id go up it tomorrow in my scanny no probs

but dont try and hit it fast as you canny change down quick enough, spot get in crawler and away you go

should be made part of every truck driving test :sunglasses:

I’ll see your Sutton Bank, and raise you Zig Zag Hill.
:grimacing:

Never been on it but I’d avoid the roads if it says unsuitable for hgvs unless I need it for access. If I was driving my motorbike/car I wouldn’t like to be stuck behind a truck going stupidly slow just because he wanted to save a few mins. That being said that thinking goes out the window when I’m in a rush. :grimacing:

thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 … ef=mr&lp=8

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:
Campaign launched to educate HGV drivers to perils of Sutton Bank | The Northern Echo

Another local rag so brim full of adverts and click bait that it won’t load properly.

the nodding donkey:

JaxDemon:
Campaign launched to educate HGV drivers to perils of Sutton Bank | The Northern Echo

Another local rag so brim full of adverts and click bait that it won’t load properly.

They usually are these days. Annoying as ■■■■.

Used to drag cider out of Hereford to West Yorkshire at 44t with an Iveco on the A4103 via Worcester.At Fromes Hill(?)found out that auto gearbox couldn’t cope with the gradient and surrendered.Interesting hill start but in future used manual with no problems.

Gidders:
Used to drag cider out of Hereford to West Yorkshire at 44t with an Iveco on the A4103 via Worcester.At Fromes Hill(?)found out that auto gearbox couldn’t cope with the gradient and surrendered.Interesting hill start but in future used manual with no problems.

When I was at Taylor’s of martley in the late 90’s we used to do a lot of work out of bulmers taking the loads back to our yard in martley. We were banned from fromes hill when loaded after a driver or two got the change from high to low range wrong and stopped then as they tried to get going again they snapped the prop kangerooing [emoji23]

There used to be a big sign at the bottom of Sutton Bank said “STOP - ENGAGE FIRST GEAR”. It was a hangover from the days of crash boxes, where getting into 1st on the move was impossible.

I think a lot of the artics that have problems are vans, where the load slides back and takes weight off the drive axle(s). I went up loads of times in the 60s with no trouble; there was a butty bar at the top to get a cuppa and let the engine cool down a bit. On the bend, I just kept going and let the cars sort themselves out; it was a fairly short outfit though, with a two axle unit.