Supermarkets

Why don’t the big superstores officially allow overnight parking? They have toilets and ample sized car parks,good quality, vfm food in their restaurants. You see a lot of drivers actually buying provisions in the shop itself. All extra revenue for the superstores.

And considering most of the big ones now are open 24 hours… I would have thought it would have been obvious to them.

This thought really hit me a couple of weeks ago when I parked overnight at Ipswich. A14/A12 split. Tesco,s restaurant had a number of drivers eating there.

Tescos at Gt Yarmouth lets truckers in, I parked there for half an hour a week or 2 back with my 18t rigid and wen shopping. But they are just down the road from a major industrial estate with about 3 transport companies on it, and I hear a lot of their drivers stop by and stock up for the week.
No idea about overnighting though…

I did ask the Tesco staff at Bar Hill near Cambridge why they didn’t let truck on their parking area. Their response was “Too many complaints”, so in return I complained about the lack of truck parking spaces :smiling_imp:

The Aldi RDC i went to yesterday had lots of “No overnight parking” signs all over the place. And there was nowhere nearby to park up either…

Depressing state of affairs.

proberbly because some drivers cant be arsed to go to the toilet in the service areas.

imagine putting your shopping in the car to the whiff of pee.you can understand why the don’t want us there

jon

jonboy:
proberbly because some drivers cant be [zb] to go to the toilet in the service areas.

imagine putting your shopping in the car to the whiff of pee.you can understand why the don’t want us there

jon

Have you considered that a lot of the reason behind that is the fact that 90% of the service areas put the loos so far away from the truck park it’s too far to run when you’re bursting?

You blokes have it easy, with wheels to wet…

Jonboy & allicat you are both correct, but Alli i think JB was just refering to supermarket’s, and yes they do put the lorry park to far away. :imp:

Maybe they could build outdoor toilets. If there is any health & safety issues then why not cone half the car park off at night for trucks.

Asda at pilsworth, bury off the M66 used to turn a blind eye to trucks parking overnight on their car park and the cinema car park opposite. however this soon began to be abused by the foreign drivers who would set up camp for days/weeks on end taking up dozens of car spaces.
there are now height barriers installed at all entrances.
i believe this is down to a haulage yard, fred smith of bury, who loads these foreign wagons. they now park in and around his yard, just across the road from asda.

Mentioning foreigners< why do they all shout at one another when conversing at night when your in bed?

What they did 03 is go behind frankie and bennys to use the toilet, so it was the council that got it changed i still see the odd one parked up opposite the pic’s near the petrol station at Asda’s, and they do not seem to get bothered.
All you have to do is go straight over the R/bout at Asdas and there is a little Ind estate on your right after the factory, you can park there at night,
or if you have a little rigid there is a pub just past there on right they may let you park for the night.

Or if you are going towards Burnley, Blackburn, go to the end of the m66 turn round and get back on it then take the slip road off to your left, you can park there and there is a pub, then just get back on 66 in the morning and go about 2 mile to the first slip road to turn round.

Hope this helps

Although you can’t get a wagon in their car park, there’s loads of truckers that park up round the Asda at Morley, S Leeds on the A650 between Tingley (M62 J28) and Gildersome (M62 J27). It’s a 24hr too.

ASDA at Tamworth allow trucks on their carpark and they are open 24hrs too.

i used to park at costco in trafford park until they put up height barriers. and their car park is too big for the store its mt most of the day.

Dont park on the estate just south of yeadon airport without your lights on a night.you’ll get a ticket, i did and i was under a bloody street lamp :laughing:

You cant park in the Asda at Tilbury either. You can get into the carpark but there are signs up stating that you will get clamped. I have been told that they do as well. Allports are round the corner and they have a lot of Turkish trucks parking there for a few days at a time, so I can understand Asdas reluctance.

Tammy which estate is this ? There aren’t any (industrial) estates south of the airport, it’s a golf course :unamused: Where do you mean?

If you need somewhere round that area, come out of the airport, left at the island, under the tunnel and then take your last turn on the right before the traffic lights and park along there. If you want food/pub/supermarket etc, continue (on foot) along said road and it will bring you out on Town St. There’s a chippy on your left (at the lights) and if you turn right it will take you into Yeadon town. There’s a pub on your right and when you get across the island (of sorts) there’s a Morrisons on the left (not 24hrs).

I think it has a lot to do with the reputation truckers have such as peeing where they want to and dumping litter where they want too, but also there must be a connection with the amount of cars you can fit in a space for a truck, for example one truck driver might use the toilet have a shower and have a meal , the cost to the super market is negligable as is the profit they make on the meal.

On the other hand 10 cars in that one spot spending £10+ each makes far more business sense and makes a hell of a lot less mess to the car park, maybe the guy who owns the supermarkets has seen a lorry park where some idiot has reversed over the railings and hit the lamppost, knocked the kerbstones out on a corner, left those little gas bottles in the hedges and thought to himself do i really want them in the supermarket at night??.

The big Asda at Minworth (A38 north of Brum) often has artics parked in the car park. I often see Saints units parked there with curtains drawn all on Heathrow/Brum airfreight layovers. The other day I went in there and found a german artic and a couple of eastern european 7.5 tonners. I parked next to the german and went to the cafe.

In Uttoxeter they built a new retail sheddery next to Tesco which started to get used as a truck park overnight, sadly the damage to the kerbs, shrubs etc soon caused height barriers to be installed. I’ve tried the Tesco carpark whilst using the cafe but its tight and nigh impossible to find enough spaces to lose the truck.

I would far sooner eat at Asda or Tesco than at any MSA. Mind you I stopped at Sutton Scotney Northbound Shell on Friday to fill up with diesel and as I paid the cashier said “help yourself to a coffee” :smiley: I almost fell over. Wouldn’t it be nice if more places did that?

Calv

A few weeks ago I was on a trip to pick up a Volvo B7LA from Portsmouth. I had planned it that I left about 5pm Sunday and stopped off somewhere on the way North.

About an hour into the journey I got woke up with some alarms going off, It was overheating! Oh great! 2 minutes later I was back on the road after kicking dash into silence. So thought it must have been a faulty temp gauge

I decided to come off the M6 and find a 24hr Asda I was told about, Great - Something to eat, Toilet, And a few hours kip before completing the journey. Slowly turned into the Asda and made sure I would fit in, Everything fine and found some free spaces and dumped the bus in the middle of them and went into the shop. Got something to eat and some shopping then went for a few hours kip, Decided to leave at 3am but found a problem - The Exit roads where not designed for Articulated buses! something had to give but managed to reverse back a little to get me round this daft roundabout

I relised that the entrance was used by the Deliverys and the exit was for cars from the car park, while the deliverys exit another way. Daft idea!

I learnt a lesson! always make sure you can get out as well as in!

guys in work had a good laugh when I told them I got stuck… In ASDA!!!

Asda-Walmart at Cribbs Causeway (just off J17 M5, and only a couple of miles from the M4) has a huge car park, and often has a number of trucks parked. The access is also reasonable for large vehicles, and the petrol (diesel) station also has HGV lanes. Of course, check with the staff before you park up…

Don’t try to go there on a Saturday, though (especially the ones in the run-up to Christmas).