Steam Engined Lorries

More steam and the driving experience:

youtube.com/watch?v=VAl5LxlpiTM

youtube.com/watch?v=YslEmZeuALA

youtube.com/watch?v=yKtKuc64PX4

Much more information here. sentinelwaggons.co.uk

I crewed on this one for a couple of years when it was owned by John Griffiths of Nelson South Wales

hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd.cgi? … estingness

Its the yellow one with ADCOCK on the front

These were the latest steam design. This one built in 1934. Cruise quite happily at 40mph. Could get 60 out of them but very difficult if not impossible to maintain that speed

Having posted steam lorry stuff on Past and Present, so maybe a repeat of one or two on this thread. I can go back to the late '30s with my memories of steam driven wagons/lorries, traction engines and road rollers. Our coal was delivered by The Aberdeen Coal and Shipping Company on such a wagon in the photo, may even have been that one. Traction engines going round the farms with threshing mills, the engine pulling the mill, a live in van and a supply of coal, water taken from a stream or watering trough. The local council were still using steam road rollers in the late '40s maybe even later.
Oily

Steam Sir Hec 14549011038_0b6500c7bfsh _k.jpg

Steam driven lorries were mostly Sentinel or Foden, there were others who either faded away or progressed to petrol and diesel a bit quicker such as Leyland and Atkinson.
Oily

Leyland Steam Waggon…for fresh air driving.

Two more Leylands…one with some rudimentary driver protection… and the other needing a drink in Preston

Rarer steam wagons by Fowler of Leeds and Robey of Lincoln.
Oily

A 1931 Garratt.
Oily

IMG_0363.JPG

oiltreader:
Rarer steam wagons by Fowler of Leeds and Robey of Lincoln.
Oily

Love this line “ITS Simplicity widens your range of selection of drivers”

IMG_0366.JPG

gingerfold:
Two more Leylands…one with some rudimentary driver protection… and the other needing a drink in Preston

Leyland 600 may be able to “shed some light” but I never knew that Carr’s had a base in Maryport ! I thought it was only Silloth and Carlisle. Cheers Bewick.

Another selection…I have a photo of a Mann Patent Steam Waggon (made in Leeds) somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment.

Flour Milling 028.jpg

Bowmans Foden Steamer.jpg

And before the steam waggon era it was the trusty horse and cart…

Flour Milling 020.jpg

gingerfold:
Another selection…I have a photo of a Mann Patent Steam Waggon (made in Leeds) somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment.

Third pic is a 1904 Lancashire Steam Motor Company of Leyland Lancs.wagon later in 1907 to become Leyland Motors.
Oily

Around 1907 Coulthard also became part of Leyland Motors.
Oily

I remember seeing a sign “steam engines water” when I was a kid on the A50 on the coalville side of glenfield island (Leicestershire) it was there until the 1970s I think.

There was a horse trough at this location on the A23 in the 1950s which was later used by some steamers on the London to Brighton.

google.co.uk/maps/place/Gre … -0.1317349

cav551:
There was a horse trough at this location on the A23 in the 1950s which was later used by some steamers on the London to Brighton.

google.co.uk/maps/place/Gre … -0.1317349

As I said previously there are several in my town, still supplied with running water as well.

Pete.