spanish dodges.............

I had one for a while, loved it a flying machine, pity about the lack of room though.

Affectionately known as the Spanish BODGE :wink:
Wrefords had one and it went like a rocket…80mph ! :open_mouth:
Strangley, all the night men used to fight over it.

The “home fans” loved um.

There was a medium height version too. :astonished:

And even a Globetrotter version but I’m pretty sure it was’nt a factory job.

Hi euromat
check out post happy days , found this in the loft.

bill twibell had prob the biggest fleet of em . he used to buy em 2nd hand from all over the country any 1 got any pics of his

few from euro wheels

ugly bloody things :laughing:

Sounded nice tho’…

Must have been the smallest sleeper cab going.
On my first M/E trip,when we were transiting Germany on the train,two brothers,(twins), turned up in one with a Hatcher top tank,(as had quite a few of us).Unfortunately,they had not checked the clearances before leaving home,and when driving up the ramp onto the train,the front of the trailer crushed the top tank,diesel everywhere.
They played hell about it and said they shouldn’t have to design their truck around somebody’s train!.
Never saw them again,and I can’t recall ever seeing an English registered one on M/E again either.

May I cast this pic into the ring ?

Surprise surprise,it’s a pic of tippers ! :laughing:

Theres still a few around in Spain, mostly 8 wheelers.

I remember reading in TRUCK about a firm who were putting Scania drivelines in them, I think they called em Scodges :exclamation:

i can remember twibells dodges,red cab with 2 white stripes around it,sounded great .he later moved on to erfs ,dont no what happened to him.used to see them at tescos all over the country.

there was once an article in trucking international (i think) about an english firm who used to have a number of wrecks at their yard , and they used those dodges for spare parts to keep the remaing dodge`s running , the trucks were dark green , with a white roof , does anyone have a name■■?

Talking about wrecks and lack of spares, did’nt Tyson H Burridge put a home made cab on a Dodge 300 ?

jerry truckartist:
Talking about wrecks and lack of spares, did’nt Tyson H Burridge put a home made cab on a Dodge 300 ?

I can imagine that bloke would make his drivers straighten nails on their days off.

Its the 21st Century, even in Distington :stuck_out_tongue:

Some lovely pics of the Spanish Spanish Dodges. I used to park in San Jose in Renteria when I first did Spain. it seemed as though no one cared

Didn’t Burgoynes of Lyonshall make a point of running second- hand Barreiros/Dodges as most of their fleet back in the late 70’s? I seem to remember seeing an awful lot of them around that time.

I had the pleasure (maybe not!!) of having one as my motor when i started at Pickfords Heavy Haulage!! It didnt do the heaviest work, up to about 17 tones on a lowloader, usualy moving lift trucks and tackle from/to site

BTW,I always remember Tommy W Ward having a few of these as 8 leggers at his Shining Bank Quarry near Bakewell,Derbyshire.

Sadly I don’t have any pics :cry: but I was wondering if anyone out there does ?

Many years ago, I worked at Banks’ grain at Kennett near Newmarket. They were an outpost of the group based at Sandy, Beds. They had a few of these Dodge tractor units pulling bulkers on grain. We had one left which, by 1987 was retired, and used as a yard shunter.

But one of the full time drivers used to talk about one of them being involved in a spectacular smash at the roundabout at Red Lodge on the A11, leaving the ‘front’ of the cab behind the rear of the cab, I think the driver survived but was serious for ages…

Does this stir any memories for anyone?

rich12:
i can remember twibells dodges,red cab with 2 white stripes around it,sounded great .he later moved on to erfs ,dont no what happened to him.used to see them at tescos all over the country.

Twibell’s went bump a few years ago now. :cry:
They moved from Mobberley to Trafford park (keeping the office at Mobberly for a while) then moved to whole lot over some years later.
They still had the ERF’s along with Mercs on contract, most of there work was for Proctor & gamble, Cussons & a few others.
We used to sub for them until my (then) gaffer pulled out about a couple of years before they went bump, he knew Bill Twibell very well before he died & could see it coming long before it happened.