South African ERFs

ADE 407T engine.jpg
21-folly14.jpg
21-folly6.jpg

Robert I think the Revs magazine did cover mercedes powered ERFs in SA about a year ago ,mainly E & possibly EC series .

Dan Punchard:
Robert I think the Revs magazine did cover mercedes powered ERFs in SA about a year ago ,mainly E & possibly EC series .

Issue 144 has a SA ERF Shunter in it with a ■■■■■■■■ 145 has NZ ERFs. I have none earlier than 143. Cheers, Robert

Here’s a South African ERF dock shunter (not from REVS). Robert

As always, Robert, interesting and well researched. I spent some time in South Africa and Kenya a couple of years ago and the transport scene in SA is very well established and obviously well organised. Not equally true in Kenya where the whole thing is much more ‘African’.
In South Africa they do run some interesting axle set-ups;

Though they have some unusual workshop practices as well;

In your photos I think that you will find that the vehicles with yellow plates, like the Liquid Air ERF are not South African (which have white number plates) but, in that case, Kenyan and in others Namibian. None the worse for that of course.
Sorry none of mine are ERFs though.

David

David Miller:
As always, Robert, interesting and well researched. I spent some time in South Africa and Kenya a couple of years ago and the transport scene in SA is very well established and obviously well organised. Not equally true in Kenya where the whole thing is much more ‘African’.
In South Africa they do run some interesting axle set-ups;

Though they have some unusual workshop practices as well;

In your photos I think that you will find that the vehicles with yellow plates, like the Liquid Air ERF are not South African (which have white number plates) but, in that case, Kenyan and in others Namibian. None the worse for that of course.
Sorry none of mine are ERFs though.

David

Thanks for the heads-up on the number-plate front! Robert :smiley:

Perhaps not SA, but Kenya or…

michel:

Well it can’t be too far away from ZA because it has a Santini cab and the doors are signwritten in Afrikaans! Robert :slight_smile:

Who built theses cabs ?

michel:

Who built theses cabs ?

Santini of South Africa by the look of it. Robert

There seem to be several different SA ERF cabs. I can detect similarities between some- that last lot and those with the B-series grilles are the same, and are the same as those with the sliding side window pigeon-loft sleepers. That white cab red chassis tractor with the coils on it is different, as is the tridem tractor at the top of the thread.

[zb]
anorak:
There seem to be several different SA ERF cabs. I can detect similarities between some- that last lot and those with the B-series grilles are the same, and are the same as those with the sliding side window pigeon-loft sleepers. That white cab red chassis tractor with the coils on it is different, as is the tridem tractor at the top of the thread.

According to Dai Davies, there was just Santini Engineering brothers making the alternative cabs. The rounder shape was just an earlier design. They also provided cabs and bodywork for the dock shunters and buses. Santini remained a close and loyal ERF partner for many years. Robert

I would like to read Mr. Davies’ book, but can only find it for £27. Ouch. I presume that ERF SA is as defunct as its Cheshire parent?

[zb]
anorak:
I would like to read Mr. Davies’ book, but can only find it for £27. Ouch. I presume that ERF SA is as defunct as its Cheshire parent?

Yes it is I’m afraid. But Dai Davies does deal with ERF exports to other corners of the world too, with lots of good pictures. It’s a good book, even if he is very downbeat about the Benelux / France market and the ERF ‘European’ model! Robert

[zb]
anorak:

History repeats…apparently you are not willing to buy books but prefer to obtain the novelties by asking over here?

ERF-Continental:

[zb]
anorak:

History repeats…apparently you are not willing to buy books but prefer to obtain the novelties by asking over here?

I have many books, old magazines and brochures, and have quoted them numerous times on this site, to help with the various discussions. I believe that the information should be exchanged freely, for the good of all. The only exception to this rule is if the knowledge is unique to someone who is going to publish it. Other than that, what possible reason can there be for witholding knowledge?

Copyright Sir! As well as the respect and energy towards/of other people to scan and share!

If you quote your source, you draw attention to that source. Although the book may be devalued by the quoted passages, it is free advertising for the author. It works both ways. In this example, I did not know Mr. Davies’ book existed, until Robert mentioned it. I will probably buy it at some stage but, at £27, it is not something I will purchase immediately. If I learn something from someone else’s reading, I may be more likely to buy sooner. I am not a skinflint- my collection of old lorry literature has cost me thousands of pounds over the years.

Copyright exists to add an extra cash incentive for authors to do the research necessary to make their works good enough to sell. It is not there to protect vanity. The ideal is that as much information is recorded and shared as possible. If you have information, it is your duty to pass it on, whether by publishing or sharing.

michel:

To my humble opinion and knowledge via google, Standerton (hopefully) still is located in South Africa?

ext.jpg

[zb]
anorak:
If you quote your source, you draw attention to that source. Although the book may be devalued by the quoted passages, it is free advertising for the author. It works both ways. In this example, I did not know Mr. Davies’ book existed, until Robert mentioned it. I will probably buy it at some stage but, at £27, it is not something I will purchase immediately. If I learn something from someone else’s reading, I may be more likely to buy sooner. I am not a skinflint- my collection of old lorry literature has cost me thousands of pounds over the years.

Copyright exists to add an extra cash incentive for authors to do the research necessary to make their works good enough to sell. It is not there to protect vanity. The ideal is that as much information is recorded and shared as possible. If you have information, it is your duty to pass it on, whether by publishing or sharing.

I suggest you purchase your blasting-device and continue to get the most out of asking questions over here!

The ERF-book (Dai Davies) is only some euro’s away…but a real find and no dust! On the continent you
now get UK- and US-books for a fraction!

Alexander (ex-Mack and nowadays MAN-enthousiast)